Mandy (2018) Nicolas Cage VS cult members in post-apocalyptic 1983?!?

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Mar 11, 2018.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79564

MANDY, the newest film from Panos Cosmatos (director of Beyond the Black Rainbow) made a big splash at the most recent Sundance. The insane sounding premise is a revenge-seeking Nicholas Cage battles demonic, mutated bikers in a post-apocalyptic wasteland of 1983 A.D.

That concept set to a Black Metal score with Cosmatos's trippy visual style equals a movie I am dying to get my eyeballs on!

The buzz out of Sundance for this one makes it sound like none of us are ready for the craziness of this thing. Well, now we know that we'll be seeing it fairly soon. RLJE Films, the distribution company behind BRAWL IN CELLBLOCK 99 and the upcoming I KILL GIANTS, is prepping MANDY for a summer theatrical release.

2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

This actually sounds pretty cool. Will still wait for more reviews.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Haven't seen his previous films though I saw many of his father George's pics (OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN, THE CASSANDRA CROSSING, TOMBSTONE).This sounds nutty but intriguing.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

5. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

somehow in my mind the out-there premise with Sundance doesn't mix

if this were made in some kind of trashy, exuberant '80s gory action style, i would be all over it

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I saw an extended clip of this last night at Con, and to be honest it looked boring as hell. Maybe they needed to set up the clip better, but it really looked terrible. I wasn't much a fan of Black Rainbow either, so I'm definitely waiting for some reviews on this one.

7. CPT HOOK

Andrea Riseborough (who plays Mandy) is having an amazing 2018. Not only is she in this movie this year, she is in The Death Of Stalin, the stellar TV series Waco, as well as two movies I have tickets to see screenings of in August: the mystery/thriller Nancy (where she plays the title role) and Sundance's Audience Award winner Burden. She's 2018's Michael Stuhlbarg!

8. CPT HOOK

The reviews for this have been glowing, but I have to say it just wasn't for me. Gorgeous visuals and a simple, easy-to-follow revenge story. But at over 2 hours, it was a bit of a slog at times. By the time the ultra violent finale kicks in around the 1 hr 20 min mark, I had already kind of checked out a bit.

I'm seeing lots of comparisons to S Craig Zahler, but aside from the running time and a slow build-up to an explosive climax, I would call this the anti-S Craig Zahler. Zahler's slow-build is driven by dialogue and character, and he takes a pretty minimalist approach when it comes to visuals. Here, there's minimal character and dialogue, but it's all entirely driven by visuals.

I wouldn't say I disliked it, but it's not something I'd ever watch again. About a half-hour too long. I never saw the director's previous film Beyond The Black Rainbow, but I'd be open to checking it out if it were free on NetFlix or Prime.

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's was fucked up, but was also overlong and a really tough watch, I could have turned it off many times before it got to its conclusion. Not something I'd want to revisit.

10. sinister

sinister Active Member

I thought this was pretty good but like the others I doubt I'd watch it again. The first half in a way reminded me of Suspiria or Amer, in that it's very light on story and all about the audio/visual experience... definitely one to watch on a big screen, in the dark with the sound turned up real loud to appreciate the intended experience. The 2nd half tried to move on with what little story there was and for me it went downhill from there and became a bit predictable and generic.

It's certainly different and I can see why some people are giving it great reviews, so it's definitely worth checking out just to see if you're one of the few who really will love it. If you're gonna watch it on a smallish TV with the lights on and no sound system then I really wouldn't bother though.

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

This movie was horrible, let's be honest. I don't get the need to try to like something. There are plenty stylish films with some meat to them. I had only moderate hopes for this and still they were dashed. Weird for the sake of weird. Kind of like when certain painters throw paint on a canvas and call it art. Then people gather around it and pretend to see some meaning that the artist intended.

Cage went from the awesomeness of Mom and Dad to this? I get it, it's still a paycheck and he came across hard times.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Saw this in the theater yesterday and loved it! This is clearly not a film for everyone. Maybe no one else visiting this thread will like it? I don't give a fuck and Mandy is the latest film to show that Nicolas Cage doesn't give a fuck either. This is very far removed from anything commercial.

In addition to my wife and I, there were only 10 other people in the theater. I don't get upset over running times in films, lack of conventional narrative, sparse dialogue, or what the mainstream deems as pacing issues. These are not necessary qualities I look for in a film, it's just that they don't scare me off if the film works for me.

For me, Mandy was somewhere between grindhouse horror and art film. Psychedelic visuals are prominent along with a heavy metal influence, bizarre humor, cool weaponry, and strange monsters. Small sample size of previous posters all plan to avoid this film in the future, but I have every intention to watch this film again.

13. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I liked it, but it's something of a mess. The first half is too slow, the second half too bonkers, sometimes it's surreal, sometimes it isn't. A little more focus in these areas would have helped. Still, I did enjoy it. Quick review: http://splattercritic.com/2018/09/mandy/

14. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I rather liked this. But, I'm glad that I had already seen Beyond the Black Rainbow so I had a bit of an idea of what it was going to be like. The reviews definitely make this sound a lot more bonkers in a fun and wild way (like an old Peter Jackson film) than it really is. It's really more bonkers in a Nicholas Winding Refn sort of way than anything else. So, I'd say if you enjoyed Refn's films (other than Driver, which is really mainstream for him) then you might like this one. If you had told me that his was his follow-up to Neon Demon, I wouldn't even check the credits to verify. And I suspect older horror-hounds will find a lot of the craziness a bit derivative. I mean, yeah, the chainsaw duel is pretty cool, but I'm pretty sure this is the fourth time I've seen that in a movie. And it's still nowhere near as nutso as the one in TCM2.

That said, it is a damn lovely film to look at. The visuals and effects are quite trippy and phantasmagorical. One standout is the conversation between the cult leader and Mandy. Yes, the plot, or what little there is, is pretty nuts. But it is not played for bouncy lunacy and is instead more about creating striking visuals. It's almost film making by way of album covers. Cage is fine. Though for all of his reputation as an unhinged actor, I still feel like he really doesn't go anywhere near as over the top as he should. This is no Castor Pollux. The rest of the cast is suitable and all deliver a consistently odd tone. The score is decent but a bit reminiscent of some of Tangerine Dream's more abstract stuff. Though that is in keeping with the 1983 vibe that the film is going for. One of the people that I saw it with knew nothing about the film before-hand and actually thought that this was an older film.

As others have noted, there is a drastic tonal shift halfway through the film. I like the first half a lot more and found the second half to be too predictable. But, I can certainly see why others would prefer the second half.

I've heard Lynch and Jodorowsky get mentioned in comparison. I can see a bit of Lynch in the first half, particularly with the pacing and sound design. But I don't see the Jodorowsky at all, except maybe in the two act structure which Jodo used in El Topo and Holy Mountain. But, it lacks his sense of playfulness and depth. The one name that I haven't seen come up is Don Coscarelli and that (next to Refn) may be the one that I felt this most resembled. It has that strange, surreal feeling of a Phantasm and, maybe, John Dies at the End with higher artistic pretension and less strait-up humor.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this to just anyone. But, if you like things a bit unconventional and can appreciate style and atmosphere over plot and character, I'd say this is worth a look. Particularly for fans of Refn and maybe Coscarelli.

One additional note: if you see this in a theater, I hope they have a good projector. The imagery is really dark and at times if was really hard to make out what was happening on screen. I took a look at it online after I got home to check to see if it matched the theater and it's pretty damned dark.

Workshed, Colin and satans-sadists like this.
  15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

One more additional note: I still have no idea how this connects to Barry Manilow's Mandy. Hopefully this will become apparent in subsequent viewings

16. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I quite enjoyed this, even if it falls short of "Beyond the Black Rainbow" - which was way more chaotic and nightmarish, as well as playing off the fear of the unknown a bit more - but still a solid follow up. The complaints I have about "Mandy" are few, and unlike some I wasn't really taken out of the experience in the 2nd half, even if it completely shifts tone on a dime. If I could change anything with the film, it would have been the virtually pointless "Heavy Metal" inspired animated sequences, and some of the very obvious fanboy references (the titular characters says she lives near Crystal Lake, which is a bit too on the nose). Overall it's a visually immersive, blood soaked, nightmarish horror-revenge film that hit the right spots.

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

More like Mehndy, amiright? Caught this in the theatre the other night and like others have said the audio-visual experience is amazing but story-wise it's a dud. Much like Panos' debut feature Beyond the Black Rainbow, which is also visually stunning, it thinks it's smarter than it is and is in the end forgettable.

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I didn't like Many at all. I found it super slow and just couldn't get invested in it. When it did pick up it was just super bizzare with not enough plot to make it seem relevant. I ended up just finding myself bored with the whole thing.

19. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I absolutely hated this and couldn't wait for it to be over. The whole thing just seemed like style over substance to pad out time for a bare-bones story; every scene and the movie as a whole felt like it took 10 times longer than it should have. What a waste of time, I’d been looking forward to this too.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

This was one of weirdest movies I've seen in a long time. Still don't know what the hell is was all about. Director must have been on acid making this film.