Mainstream horror misconceptions

Discussion in 'General' started by maybrick, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I did buy this book but I haven't even had a chance to peruse it yet. It doesn't surprise me though. I've met Savini on two different occasions, about 5 years apart, and both times, he was the most incredibly rude person I've ever met associated with FX, or horror films period.

2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Lmao, so how do these "incredibly rude" interactions go down?
    - Hi Mr. Savini sir. Could you sign my poster?
    [​IMG]
    - RRRRRRrraaaaaghh NO!!!

Workshed likes this.
  3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Tom Savini encouraged Harry Warden to preorder his latest blu-ray on Amazon. What followed was harrowing for all involved.

:cool:

Mok likes this.
  4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I have talked to Savini at several conventions. At times he has seemed as though he couldn't be bothered, other times he was very cordial. Many fans have reported negative experiences for years. This isn't anything new. Since Harry lives near Pittsburgh, I'm sure he's heard more stories than we all have. Savini does many conventions in Pennsylvania. Again, if anyone wants to know what it was like to work with Savini on Day of the Dead, buy that book.

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I went to check it out and saw this response/review on--sorry, Harry!--a certain web retailer:

Ouch. Can't decide if this makes the book more delicious or not!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Mok and ClaytonS like this.
  6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Sounds like a bunch of sad sack losers who resent Savini's success.

Anthropophagus likes this.
  7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I have it on good authority that Lee Karr is an alias of Kitty Kelley.

8. Harry Warden

You know me so well..people will say we're in love!!!!;)

Workshed likes this.
  9. Harry Warden

The first time was at a store in Pittsburgh and the second at a convention. The first time in the store, I was actually introduced to him by a worker at the store. I did not approach him because he came in as a customer, and was with some chick, and I didn't want to approach him. The worker assured me it was cool. I had just bought the 4 disc Anchor Bay DVD collection, and the worker said that he could get it signed for me. He approached Tom, who was nice for a brief moment, but then he seemed irritated. I was introduced and I reached out to shake his hand and he seemed fine with the worker and me at first, but then he quickly showed his irritation. At that point, having recognized that he didn't want to be bothered, I quietly grabbed the DVD set back from the worker and quietly said "It was nice to meet you" and I walked away. The worker seemed very shocked and I continued to shop. Tom went on his way and so did I. I felt bad about the situation so I just didn't want to bother him anymore. About 30 minutes later, all of us are still in the store and then Tom walked over to me out of nowhere with a marker to sign the DVD set. He signed the set, I thanked him, and told him how much I admired his FX work. He nodded and thanked me. Then I asked him what he thought of the new version of Dawn of the Dead (2004), which had just come out, and how he thought the FX stacked up to Romero's version. All of sudden, he cops this irritated attitude again and says " Well, I'm in the film". and seemed just indignant that I would ask him to compare the films. He was visibly angry. I don't know why and honestly, I don't give a shit. He turned and walked from me and the group I was with. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. The worker apologized to me, and so I moved on with my shopping wondering why this man was so upset and angry. Right before he left, he approached me a second time an apologized and then just walked out. Why? Haven't a clue, but I was reluctant to even bother the man in the first place, and my gut instinct was right. The second time was at a convention near Pittsburgh and sure enough, he was there bitching and being generally nasty to all of the people waiting in line for an autograph. You couldn't help but overhear him. He was loud and rude to people that were paying for his signature. He would ask people to step aside for no apparent reason. Some items he wouldn't sign. The experience was so toxic that I avoided him the second time, by I did witness some awful behavior. All I can say is don't show up at a convention, ask for money, and then treat "fans" like shit. I've never experienced this type of behavior by anybody else at a horror convention or otherwise. I watched and the fans were not rude, they weren't misbehaving in any way, they seemed excited to meet him, but he could have cared less. That was my two encounters - both very negative.

One last item - Tom did not owe me anything and didn't have to sign anything. I didn't expect him to re-approach me, but he did at his own free will. Actually, he should have just let it go and moved on. That's what I did. I am glad he signed the DVD set, but I certainly could have lived without it. I am sure he gets bothered by people, but a simple "I'm am not giving autographs, etc..would have sufficed.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

YOU BLEW IT! LMAO
    [​IMG]

Seriously though who knows what occurred just before you got there and annoyed him. Maybe he struck out with that chick? Maybe one of those fans was smelly?

Workshed likes this.
  11. Harry Warden

True. I agree. It just doesn't leave one with a warm and fuzzy feeling.:( Honestly, I wasn't looking to upset anyone. I tried to leave him alone, but he approached me again. Very weird. Maybe he just had a bad day but it seems he has a lot of those. If it was just me, fine, but his rep is notorious in these parts.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Ah don't sweat it. We all get star struck. I was just busting yer balls ;)
    If it's any consolation I annoyed Jonathan Frakes and Adam West in less than 2 minutes at a convention one time :D

Workshed likes this.
  13. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I met Savini at a convention in Chicago in 2009. He signed my Creepshow and Knightriders posters. He came off very rude and irritated. I wasn't impressed. However, I did find it funny that he was much shorter than I expected. I'm 6ft and he couldn't have been taller than 5'6. I found out that most actors are actually quite short, averaging well under 6 ft. The camera makes them seem taller/bigger than they are.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Thank you.

But, I have a problem with that: people think any Italian film with a killer is auto-giallo. So, they only admit "sure the zombie ones aren't giallos."

He referred to himself as Freddy in the boiler room scene. ("It's only a dream!!!" "Come to Freddy." "GODDAMN YOU!!") (Remember that moment?)

15. Harry Warden

No problem Mok. I didn't take anything as a slight or in a negative way at all. But, to be clear, I wasn't star struck at all. Frankly, I didn't care if I met him or not. My friend who works at the store initiated everything. I just went along since he was so excited about introducing me.

Mok likes this.
  16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ah, since gialli were mentioned here's a misconception:

The first three films by Dario Argento constitute a trilogy.

As far as I'm concerned, he's made two trilogies. The official one being Suspiria, Inferno, and Mother of Tears. The unofficial one is Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, and The Stendhal Syndrome, as all three films explore how art and psychosis are related.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

S
    The bulk of Argento scholars refer to Argento's first three films as "The Animal Trilogy" largely due to their titles containing imagery of beasts/creatures, THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE,CAT O'NINE TAILS and FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET. They do share certain ideas/concepts such as seeing is not as important as comprehending and putting artistic types in the role of detectives .The heroes are respectively writers(a novelist writing a quick book for money in BIRD, two writer/reporters (one retired and now a creator of crossword puzzles) in CAT and and a rock drummer in FLIES),who are drawn into the mystery rather than leaving the crime solving to the Police. That idea also informed many other Argento pics, gialli and supernatural, including DEEP RED (a composer) SUSPIRIA (a dancer) and OPERA (a singer).It's not as strong a connection as the "Three Mothers" trilogy (which are truly connected), but there is a thread in concept at least to group them together. DEEP RED breaks up the string of early giallo pics by adding a paranormal element to the mystery, pointing the way toward stranger pics like SUSPIRIA and INFERNO.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    russweiss and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  18. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

DO TELL

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Hahaaaa well its not a great story but it was at a convention as I said. We weren't there to meet celebrities really. Just wanted to check put the vendors and whatnot. Any way we see people forming lines for some reason so we figured it was to do the meet the celebrity gig. The only thing was there was nothing really stopping people from walking up beside these lines and getting fairly close to whoever was there (for free). So we simply walked up to see who was there and got excited when we saw one of them was William Riker! So I pulled out my phone and took a few shots. During this time he had noticed what we were doing and gave me the look of death (which I have a shiney photo of for posterity). We scurried away and did the same thing for Adam West who also obliged a stone faced stare. Then we figured we should probably leg it before we got in trouble.

Workshed likes this.
  20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Ha ha, awesome. I love me some Will Riker, but charging for photos has always struck me as a pain. I understand why celebs do it--not a bad gig if you can get it--but to take photos with a phone camera where the fan isn't even in it seems harmless.