MA, new Blumhouse flick

Discussion in 'General' started by Natas, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Looks pretty cool

Workshed, chancetx and Erick H. like this.
  2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Spencer's talented, this might be good.

3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but the premise to this is absolutely ridiculous.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Rated R for violent/disturbing material, language throughout, sexual content, and for teen drug and alcohol use

I had thought for sure this was gonna be another PG-13 horror from Blumhouse.

fceurich39 likes this.
  5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Octavia Spencer is great. Will definitely rent this.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Any time I see her in anything, I think of Zombies Halloween 2.....the poor nurse who gets stabbed like 17 times in the back of the head n neck.

7. CPT HOOK

I saw this on Friday and couldn't have been more excited. I love a good R-rated teen slasher movie, and this one looked like it had the goods!

Unfortunately, I walked away pretty disappointed. It wasn't that I didn't like the film, it was fine. It was that this movie had all the ingredients for a terrific little cult film, but settled for being a Lifetime movie-of-the-week. I was surprised by how incredibly tame it was, as the violence barely goes further than what is shown in the trailer. Oh, by the way, did I mention the trailer spoils the ENTIRE movie! If you've seen the trailer, there's not a surprise left in the movie. Blumhouse has certainly lost its edge from their Green Inferno, Lords Of Salem, The Belko Experiment days.

Also, this isn't a slasher movie. Or at least not much of one. I was expecting Ma to be picking the teens off, having one-by-one encounters with them, etc. This is more in line with those Lifetime thrillers, "the veterinarian from hell" I guess? I think I said this about The Intruder, how we've been spoiled by movies like Greta or Bad Samaritan where they take this formula but get the ball rolling in the first 10 minutes. This is way more in line with The Intruder, where it bides its time for over an hour, then crams all the horror into the last 15 minutes. It almost felt like an afterthought.

The best thing about this movie is Octavia Spencer. Even if the movie disappoints, she doesn't. The movie really has two groups of characters, the modern teenagers and the adults (their parents) who grew up in this small town with Octavia's character. Me assuming this was a teen slasher movie, I expected to be all about the teenagers, but I found the adult characters way more interesting (who include Juliette Lewis, Luke Evans, and Missi Pyle). Oscar winner Allison Janney also has a small role here as Spencer's boss, but she isn't given much to do. I also loved the music moments, especially the movie's anthem "Lookout Weekend" by Debbie Deb.

I don't want to deter anyone from seeing this because we should be supporting R-rated horror in theaters. However, I'd advise lowering the bar a bit. It is fun in spurts, but they had all the ingredients for a much better movie than we got. Also, if you haven't already, steer clear of that trailer! Unless you want the entire movie spoiled for you.

8. CPT HOOK

This isn't exactly a horror film, looks more like a thriller, but it looks really great. Another great role for Octavia Spencer this year! Luce hits theaters on August 2nd.

Returning to Ma, just for the hell of it:

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Oh shit. "Lookout Weekend" is a solid-ass jam from my youth.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

Coming to blu-ray on September 3rd:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fceurich39 likes this.