Lovecraft Country TV Series on HBO

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Aug 17, 2020.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I thought there was a topic about this show but didn't see it in a search. The show just started and so far it's really good. I'll only post the poster.

lovecraft country.jpg

I would recommend against watching the trailer as I wasn't expecting anything and that made it even better. It's a wild episode right from the beginning.

It's a 10 episode season. I might wait for it to end and watch during the October month. I have a feeling that this show will be worth owning. Already I want to watch the next episode now and not wait.

I think the main actress was in a few horror movies. But she's really good in Lovecraft Country. The main lawyer from one of those Law & Order type shows is in it too. Really worth checking out.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

But is it proper horror, or yet another show with soap opera crap?

3. sinister

sinister Active Member

Jordan Peele + JJ Abrams + pages of fake 10/10 reviews on IMDB.

Say no more.

baggio, Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

From what I read from reviews, it seems too preachy and woke.

I'll skip it.

baggio, f.ramses, hots4 and 1 other person like this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This is my plan of attack. Finale should be mid October.

ImmortalSlasher and Myron Breck like this.
  6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Same. Netflix has ruined so many of us.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I am highly cautious of anything associated with Jordan Peele. Get Out was good... but everything else since then has been a steaming pile of shit.

baggio likes this.
  8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Watched it after Last Week Tonight as it had a bit of a grabber opening. What I'll say is light on spoilers but touches upon the ups and downs of the plot (which one would expect). So starts into the usual character establishing pieces that just made me not like any of the characters except the Uncle. It seems like a pretty post-modern approach with the "What Lovecraft was writing was real!?!" slant which I don't much care for; I prefer in-universe that just builds directly on Lovecraft's writings not Lovecraft the persona.

Funny enough the "woke" aspects one may complain about I enjoyed the most. There was a montage of travel with "Colored Only" stops that I found well done and a feature of the era we don't usually see. These then built up the only scenes of suspense where I really wondered how they would get out of it (as few blacks did in those days). But then it slips into a cabin in the woods finale that I felt paled in comparison to the suspense from before and other genre media generally.

And the ending of course continues the Lovecraft mythos which I found lackluster about the episode. Since it'll be after LWT for awhile I'll probably stick around for a few episodes more but honestly this didn't really grab me and it seems more like fan fiction.

Steel76, Myron Breck and Katatonia like this.
  9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I was interested in this. Hearing this I think I'll give it a pass.

sade likes this.
  10. ImmortalSlasher

I can't remember seeing any recent horror tv shows with soap opera stuff right now. But then again, I've never watched a full episode of a soap opera before. I didn't find Lovecraft Country preachy at all. And I've only come across that "woke" term a few times.

I wouldn't recommend a bad horror movie. But it's just first episode. It could turn out like Westworld which I would only recommend the first season and maybe the second.

Yeah I probably should have waited. But I was looking for something quick to watch and I saw Collider mention the show on their site so I watched it.

I think I thought both Get Out and US were over hyped. I remember the endings weren't dark enough to me given what was going on. US was better to me but I don't want to own either movie. I still haven't seen the new Twilight Zone yet.

I tend to like the crazy, out there horror. So I liked the cabin scene. I thought the line about what happens to people was funny. And I liked the final scene location which given what we've just seen is a hint to how crazy things will get.

11. ImmortalSlasher

Maybe a bit of a spoiler but I just finished listening to the Beyond the Trailer review. She loved the first episode as well. But she saw more episodes.

12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

You can watch the first episode for free on HBO's Youtube channel!

ImmortalSlasher and X-human like this.
  13. ImmortalSlasher

I decided to watch the second episode and the show takes a drastic change. No where near as good as the first episode. Maybe this show won't be worth owning after all. The lead actress is hot though. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a lead in a new horror movie or something because of her role in Lovecraft Country. But after that second episode, I don't know. I might watch it every week now. I have to think about it.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

She is Jussie Smollett's sister.

She's had quite a few big roles over the years, including stints on True Blood and Friday Night Lights. She was recently in Birds Of Prey and was the lead in one of the new Twilight Zone episodes.

15. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Ordered the novel from amazon. Giving up new episodic television so it isnt such a jolt when there isnt anymore new stuff.

16. ImmortalSlasher

I didn't get far enough with True Blood to see her character. True Blood was good though. I stopped around Season 3 or 4 I think because I wanted to watch the whole thing during the October month. I still haven't seen the new Twilight Zone yet. And I'm not really into the DC movies. After Justice League or Suicide Squad, I thought they were aimless.

17. ImmortalSlasher

I decided to watch the third episode. It's better than the second. A bit closer to the feel of that great first episode. But still not as good as the first episode. After three episodes I'm a bit wary if the show will be worth owning now. I have no interest in watching episodes 2 or 3 ever again.

I'm about to watch / listen to this review.

They usually like horror shows. Or tear down the bad ones, which make the videos more fun to watch than the actual movie. Perhaps I'll watch the first 5 episodes, which is what the two reviews I posted received as screeners. Then watch the last 5 episodes during the October month.

18. ImmortalSlasher

That fifth episode twist really makes me wish I waited on the whole series to finish so I could watch a few a day. If anything the twist will make me rewatch the first five episodes again.

Now it's up to the last five episodes to see if they can keep up the quality. Because they are building up to something that might be really good.