Looking to buy a Bluray player but know nothing

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Zombie Dude, Apr 13, 2010.

1. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

i seen that philips has started to put divx chips in their hd-tv's now so you can watch your avi's without use of a player/decoder just a hard drive/usb drive..i like that

2. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

PS3 is generally considered to be one of the best Blu-Ray players. It's also a fairly good media center. And you can use it for Netflix streaming.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I've been looking at the Panasonic DMP-BD80 mainly because it's Divx compatible. Anyone actually own on of these players?

4. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

I've got a BD30 and a BD35 both are excellent the only difference between these and the BD80 is the 80 has better audio support and slightly better build.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I have to admit the recent blu-ray announcements are the first to pique any real curiosity in me regarding the medium. I guess now I'm a little interested in getting a player but 3 conditions have to be met before I do:

1) The blu-ray player has to be able to be hacked to read both NTSC and PAL standard DVDs.
    2) It also has to be able to play divx files.
    3) An SRP of $100 (or less) is preferred but absolutely no higher than $200.

If anyone knows of models that meet those conditions please speak up. :)

6. Zombie Dude

Supposedly the other players don't support divx. I can get the BD80 for about $300 which doesn't sound too bad.

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    That's a dream machine Maybrick!! I can't find one like it either!!

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

if you shop around on the web you can get the panasonic db-35 or 60 region free for both dvd and blu rays,

9. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Well, got my PS3 and my first blu ray titles, Moon, and the DC animated Crisis on Two Earths looking forward to my first blu ray spins, but on that note, anyone looking to get a PS3 for a blu ray player, HD cables are NOT included with the PS3 Slim. So needless to say I can't watch my titles until I get the cables, luckily they are only like 30 bucks, but totally cheap move on Sony's part not including HD cables with an HD system, just a heads up.

Now here's hoping blu ray sticks around for awhile..!

Edit; I'm also freakin' psyched to be buying movies again, I stopped for several months since I knew I was gonna upgrade sooner or later and didn't want to get the titles on DVD if I was eventually gonna get blu ray anyways

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  10. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Don't spend $30 on HD cables. That's a rip off. You can get them at Amazon or Monoprice for under $5.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Monoprice is the way to go (or eBay/Amazon, especially resellers). I bought a DVI HD cable many moons ago from Monoprice and it's still chugging away just fine. Data is data, no matter what the medium.

12. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

The Panasonoc BD-80 is a fantastic machine if you want the best audio and have an older non HDMI home cinema amp as it has 7.1 channel analog outputs. I use it with my old Yamaha amp through the analog outs and the lossless sound in DTS-HD Master & Dolby TruHD is excellent. If your not bothered about this feature or have an amp with HDMI for your lossless sound the BD-60 does pretty much everything the same for a cheaper price.

13. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I bought the Insignia blu ray player from Best Buy for $99.99 just to test the waters.
    Its works great, fast loading, and no problems yet. As my collection grows I will buy another region free player in the future, but for now it was 100 bucks well spent!

14. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

The insignia player is region free?

15. Zombie Dude

So I'm assuming the player is equipped to support a HDMI amp? I'm currently looking at getting a chip that can be used for this model, the bd60 and bd65. I'm just not sure who I'd go to to get it installed.

16. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Yes, if your amp can take HDMI & can decode the new lossless sound formats your onto a winner as there is no real need for you to have the 7.1 analog outs that the BD-80 has so you can go for one of the cheaper models.:banana: When you say chip what do you mean? To play multi-region blu-ray?

17. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

no, the Insignia is not region-free. I meant that in the future i will by a different player that will be region free.

18. Zombie Dude

I'm mainly looking at the BD80 because it seem to be the only Panasonic model that has divx playback. Yes the chip will allow me to play and dvd and bluray.

19. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Does the cheaper Panasonic not play DivX? Have my instruction book with me now and it doesent mention that it is only the BD-80 that has this feature. I believe this instruction booklet is given with both machines and it states on all the items such as the 7.1 analog out that it is for the BD-80 only but not for DivX.Double check though. If you do get the BD-80 and run it through analog it does decode LPCM uncompressed audio that some AV recievers don't.

20. Zombie Dude

I just checked with a bloke at a Harvey Norman store and he said the main difference is that the BD80 does play divx and it gold input plugs on the back. The player is about $400 but I'm trying to see if I can get it any cheaper.