Looking to buy a Bluray player but know nothing

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Zombie Dude, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Ok so I just got myself a nice new 50" plasma tv yesterday. It's a Panasinic model TH-P50S 10A. So now I'm sort of starting to look a Bluray players but really don't know much about them. I've read that loading times can be an issue and I'm trying to find out if any players are multi region compatible. Supposedly some are now.

Anyway, I know most of you are hi-def heads so I thought I'd see what you think first.

2. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I personally bought a Magnavox NB530mgx model back in August, no problems at all with it so far. It's not region free though, I don't think, although I've not tested this, but the instruction book says it plays only region 1 dvd's. Mine is profile 1.1 If you want to connect to the internet and use blu ray live features make sure you get a profile 2.0 player. I've read good things about the Sony players, but have no first hand knowledge of this.

3. Zombie Dude

Yeah I'm not sure about Sony. I beleive thay'd be good players but region wise they're probably an issue. I've heard most Bluray players play regional dvd's without a problem, it's the Blu regions that are an issue.

4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I've heard that the Sherwood BDP-5004 is supposedly a clone of the region free Momitsu BDP-899. I've also heard that a recent firmware update disables region switch compatibility for BDs and DVDs so if the ones Amazon has are shipped with that pre-loaded then it's not going to work and you'll need to try and put the original firmware back on it, assuming that's possible. I'm no expert on these and I don't own one so I can't guarantee anything but you might want to look into that player because if it's region free it's probably your cheapest option and, from what I read, a decent performer.
    For what it's worth, the load times on my Momitsu are sometimes a bit long but seeing as how it's played every disc I've put in it I really don't care, it's not like it takes that long.

5. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

If you decide to go that route I have a Pioneer BDP-120 for sale. Im looking to get $80 shipped.

6. Zombie Dude

What route is that?

7. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Id have to check. I may be able to send it priority with a DC number. Its only about a month old. Has about 4 hours total play time.

8. Zombie Dude

What's the load times like? And region wise, what does it play?

9. kimboslice

kimboslice Member

I've got 3 bluray players around the house and so far my Sony bd360 has been the best performer. And the ps3 is no slouch either.

10. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Load times are about 10 seconds. I think it only plays United States disc. There is a hack if you have a Logitec remote though.

11. Zombie Dude

That sounds pretty impressive. Why are you getting rid of it?

12. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Can anyone give any opinions on the PS3 blu ray capabilities? I'd also like to get a blu ray player soon, but have also been thinking of getting a PS3. If I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting a PS3 I will, but if it's blu ray is shoddy I'll reconsider.

13. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Because I have a LG-BH200. Plays any dvd/blu/HD-dvd known to man.

14. Zombie Dude

Well the player does sound good but I'm not sure it'll be worth my while due to region restrains. I'm trying to find something that plays all dvd's and all Blu's.

15. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

I've had several Blu-Ray players since release here in the UK in 2006, My first was a Sony BD300 which died after about 3 months, I'll never buy Sony again. Then I bought myself a Panasonic BD30 which was awesome. I then upgraded to the BD60 which is an amazing player and also bought myself a region A Panasonic BD30 to be multi region :)

The general consensus is that Panasonic are the best players unless you want to spend £400 +

16. Zombie Dude

I haven't looking at Panasonic players yet but they were going to be my main interest as my tv's a Panasonic. So I may have to get two players? That sucks.

17. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

The PS3 is an excellent blu-ray player. I'm not going to comment on it's audio capabilities as I don't have surround sound and I'm definitely not an audiophile, but I've been using a PS3 as my main blu-ray player for 2+ years now and I'm very happy with it. Load times are reasonable and firmware updates are easy as it is wireless out of the box. Obviously you get the bonuses of it playing games, but you can also surf the internet, use it as a media hub with your PC, and use it with Netflix.

The only downside I can say is that it is not region free (although it is region free with all PS3 games so you can import those) and will not play the PAL format at all. It does however support DivX.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i have absolutely no regrets about getting a PS3. its my only blu-ray player.

19. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The PS3 is a fantastic blu-ray player. Unless region-free is a must, it's the best you can buy.

20. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Another recommendation for the PS3. If you download videos or have a decent MP3 collection it's a great way to network all your media. And, you can pick up a standard TV style remote for it as well, which is a lot easier to use than the game controller. I honestly use it as a media center more than I actually play games on it.