List of horror DVDs with audio/video/other problems

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DanceEnergy24, Oct 2, 2006.

1. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

This thread comes from finding out that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Ultimate Edition and A Nightmare on Elm Street Infinifilm Edition appear to have changes to their audio tracks. I was hoping that as horror fans we could inform each other of other DVDs with audio, video or other problems. Below is my list to start things off. Also, list what you had to do or buy to correct the problem.

The Slumber Party Massacre: New Concorde took out a couple seconds of print damage which resulted in a jump from one scene to the next; later the audio and video are not in synch for a couple seconds. Have the VHS.

Friday the 13th: Annie's death was uncut/longer but Mrs. Voorhee's death was trimmed. Later fixed in the box set. Have full uncut version.

Friday the 13th Part 4: Sound cues and fx missing from a few scenes. Later fixed in the box set.

Bloody Birthday: Heavy static throughout a few scenes. Have the VHS.

The Crush: Although not really horror, Darian's name is changed to Adrian. Any mention of the name Darian has been changed. Very annoying so I have the VHS.

Sleepaway Camp: Missing gore and additonal scenes found on the VHS version. Have the VHS.

Happy Birthday to Me: Completely different score; very inferior to score on VHS version. Have the VHS.

And now, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Have original Elm Street DVD from box set and R2 SE of TCM which has the Shocking Truth documentary as well.

2. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

Would that be the Anchor Bay version of Sleepaway Camp?

3. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Would you include chopping Mall on this list? Since from what I read it was basically a vhs transfer.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I would guess yes. From everything I've seen, heard and read, that is missing footage. The Platinum dvd is uncut but fullscreen and nasty looking from all I've heard/read.

5. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

Yes, the Anchor Bay DVD for Sleepaway Camp is cut. The Platinum DVD is uncut but my VHS video has a better picture quality! As for Chopping Mall, I'm not sure about it being a video transfer. It's possible since it's a fullscreen DVD.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Chopping Mall isn't from an actual VHS tape, it's from an old video master.

Platinum never released it. It was Legacy Entertainment.

7. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

Correct, it is a Legacy disc. I own both the AB and Legacy discs, yet have yet to view either. Should be an interesting comparison!

8. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Toolbox Murders(70s),Strange Behavior and some titles on the 50 Horror Films titles.

9. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Although not horror, it is of interest to fans, The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things is missing a scene, although you can send it back to the company and get a replacement, I'll see if I can find a link for the instructions on doing so later and edit this accordingly.

Some units of the Palm Pictures DVD release “The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things” contain an authoring error at 1 hour and 18 minutes which causes an abrupt jump forward in the film. If you are experiencing this with your copy, please contact Palm Pictures by email for assistance at: help@palmpictures.com.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  10. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I seem to remember people complaining endlessly over the Suspiria soundtrack.

And another non-horror title, but one that bugs me very much: The UK special edition of Cutthroat Island is cut to PIECES! It's unwatchable and abominable. The English are quite insane, methinks. (And The Abyss is still cut in the UK, I think ...)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  11. Let us not forget the HORRID Return Of The Living Dead Part II WB DVD! Not only was the soundtrack COMPLETELY changed but there's a bad audio synch problem toward the middle of the movie as well when...

Brenda gets her head chomped by Joey

12. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

There's also a huge sync-problem with the recent special edition of Blood and Black Lace. And the video looks godawful. One of my most disappointing purchases ever! :(

13. tobaccoman

Alright, I got the email address you need to get a new copy of The Heart Is Decietful Of All Things if you purchased a bad copy.

Some units of the Palm Pictures DVD release “The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things” contain an authoring error at 1 hour and 18 minutes which causes an abrupt jump forward in the film. If you are experiencing this with your copy, please contact Palm Pictures by email for assistance at: help@palmpictures.com.

14. Katatonia

The UK DVD of Confessions of a Serial Killer has to be one of the most butchered, censored DVD's I've ever seen. Not only are two full scenes completely cut out of the film, but the audio has every swear word is bleeped/silenced over!

:bs:

15. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Member

What was wrong with the Toolbox Murders?

16. Katatonia

What was wrong with the Strange Behavior DVD from Elite?

17. tobaccoman

Well, if you're getting anything from Brentwood, Diamond, Legacy, etc. (multiple films per disc sets), you should expect problems. I'd also like to know what it wrong with the Strange Behavior disc from Elite though as that's on my wishlist.

18. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    RUBY from VCI kept freezing toward the end of the film. The picture would pixilate and freeze and eventually eject from the machine.
    NIGHT EVELYN...GRAVE from No Shame also keeps pixilating and stopping.
    ~ could be my machine, too ~

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

MGM's first DVD release of Poltergeist has a jump cut/footage missing. I think it's at the end of the scene when Diane shows Steve the gliding chair in the kitchen before they visit their neighbor afterwards.

20. Katatonia

I own both DVD's and haven't experienced any problems. It's most likely that it's your player getting hiccups, or something is faulty with your discs.