Lionsgate releases Chud 2, Ghoulies III and The Unholy on DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by MisterTwister, Mar 16, 2012.

1. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

3. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Damn, I NEED that Blood Diner set. I was just about to pay $30 for the import, too. I hate the way my local Walmart's $5 bin is set up, though. Even if it was in the bin, i'd likely never find it. Just a huge pile of DVD's thrown into a bin, stacked upon each other...I would have to dumpster dive to get to the bottom.

Fingers crossed I find one tomorrow...:nervous:

4. Katatonia

I kind of doubt the transfer will look as good as the German DVD. That transfer is maxed on a dual-layer disc and looks superb. The R1 set is probably 3 films crammed on per disc.

5. shithead

Still, for $5 and 5 other movies, it's hard to complain. And who knows, maybe it's the same transfer used for the German DVDs. I'm pretty sure the one released by Twilight Classics had the Lionsgate logo on the back of the DVD cover.

6. Katatonia

True, for the price these are...it's a great deal.

I have the German DVD from Dragon though, which does't show Lionsgate anywhere. But I think the TC DVD content is virtually the same.

7. shithead

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I hate to agree, but have to. Those bins suck and make it difficult at best. I think today I'm taking a cart in and throwing all the discs in there so I can see what's underneath. I tried digging yesterday but kept getting avalanched by shit I tossed to the other side of the bin, and then I kept gettin' psyched out by the fucking Bloody Murder pack that says Horror Collection on the spine as well.:mad: They had at least 10 of those in the bin, I almost started throwing them around the store but composed myself and left insted. Today I hunt for real!

9. bigdaddyhorse

Errr, emptied 2 bins and found fuck all. There were lots of new EB sets at K-Mart, but none of the LG ones. I finally did find the Children of the Corn 2-7 for $5 at K, so it wasn't a complete waste.

10. stadanko

stadanko New Member

Got the blood diner one today. Transfer does look pretty similar to both of those but compression is probably playing a factor here. Good enough for me.

Lucky enough to find one of the ghoulies and blood diner set. Though they did have atleast one more of the blood diner mixed in the spanish dvd bin. :banana: hunt over.

11. jlee4486

jlee4486 New Member

[​IMG]

for those of you wondering about the PQs and specs..

for starters, Blood Diner is in anamorphic widescreen and looks great! i don't have the R2 DVDs but by looking at that comparison website, i think this lionsgate print looks just as good, if not a little better. the compression doesn't seem to have affected this print very much. and if you were wondering, it is an unrated version.

all of the movies in the 6 pack are anamorphic widescreen EXCEPT Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat, which is a let-down because it has been released in widescreen before.

as for the 8 pack, the only 2 movies in anamorphic widescreen: The Unholy and C.H.U.D. II and they look really good. Waxwork is fullscreen (open matte), and it's the unrated version at 97 mins (even though the back of the DVD says it's rated R and 93 minutes). the rest are fullscreen, and Ghoulies III looks excellent! definitely not a VHS rip.

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

How´s the picture quality on those?
    How many movies per disc?

13. bigdaddyhorse

Haven't even opened the Corn set yet. Probably 3 films per disc.
    Okay, just opened it and this makes so much sense. Disc 1 is a dual-sided that has parts 2 and 3 on side a, part 4 sits solo on side b.
    Disc 2 is single-sided with 5, 6 and 7. Why not 3 sides, 2 movies each? Or 3 discs with 2 films each? Or 2 discs, 2 sides, 3 each?

I'm gonna guess they look like shit, at least the disc with 3 films is dual layer. Parts 2 and 3 are crammed on one single layer side.:rolleyes:

14. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Lionsgate sucks balls for doing this Walmart nonsense stupid move. I'm not as mad as I come off Just frustrated to no end. Not because OMG I must have this but because this got the troll sellers profiting off horror fans. By the way I did attempt to score this for you folks to no avail. I did find the Lionsgate Horror Collections and there is 4 volumes from what I gathered. Unfortunately the set featuring these films I was not able to obtain.

15. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

Found this photo on Facebook. Now which ones on the BLOOD DINER set are LBX and which ones are full frame? Anyone know?

[​IMG]

16. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Hey, that's my photo! :) My wife has a few extras on ebay. I'll find out about the ratios when I open mine.

17. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

I was waiting for someone to do a photo of them side by side, so I could post them both in one shot on my DVD NEWS FLASH page.

Yeah, find out what ones are what with aspect ratios. Please.

18. bigdaddyhorse

No dice again today, although one Wal have a new 11 film set for $7.50. It's all 5 Prophecy films and all 6 Hellraisers, but it felt like only 2 discs inside. I'm guessing 3 films per side (except one with only 2 flicks) on 2 dual-sided dual layers.

Also watched Children of the Corn 2-4 last night.
    2 and 3 look pretty bad. Even though 3 is anamorphic and I watched upconverted, it's hazy looking and never sharp or clear, BD probably is better for this one.
    Part 4 on the other hand, looked great up-converted. Can't imagine the BD looking much better.
    I'm weary of 5-7 all stuffed on one disc. Hopefully they are a bit better than 3. At least it's 3 films on a dual, which should be 1.5 each. Vs 2 on a single layer, which would be .5 each.

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Not sure about Blood Diner, but I imagine the rest are all widescreen. The previous DVD releases from LionsGate are all widescreen (including Parents, which is incorrectly labeled as Fullscreen on the DVD case).

20. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Checked out the Norwalk, CT Walmart - whole lotta nuttin' honey.

Are they really putting these in the $5 Fuck You bins? I feel like I need to scour myself with a brillo pad after digging through that shit.

If anyone comes across an extra one with C.H.U.D. II on it I'll grab it. Yeah, and FU to anyone profiting off this like a bunch of trailer trash shit heads.