Last House On Dead End Street vhs pre-order up

Discussion in 'General' started by fart_mike, Apr 6, 2012.

1. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

What am I paying $50-$60 just for that friggin mask? :lol:

How about a DVD release/re-release whatever? There's a grand idea.

Does anyone here have the Barrel release? $300 new on Amazon, oh man - is someone really paying that?

3. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Yeah this makes no sense.I have never been able to get my hands on a reasonably priced copy of the Barrel DVD.Now they release a vhs instead of a new DVD?
    Since I have never even seen this movie.I'm out.

4. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I honestly have to wonder, what the hell is going on with the resurgence of "big box" VHS? I realize the kind of nostalgic connection to it as it was some fond memories when I was younger cruising through the horror section at my local "Mom & Pop" video store, but why in the hell would anyone want to step back in picture quality and shelf life with this old tech?

If Toe Tag releases this on blu-ray I'll bite. MAYBE I'd buy a DVD release. I really like the sleaziness of the film, and I know it will never look good on any format because of the source materials, but $70+ for a VHS? Please.

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I still have the Barrel Release I ordered from them back in the day. It was worth the retail price I paid, but definitely not $300. Also, it is a nicer package than the craftsy looking VHS package being released now, even if you get the mask. I don't get all these VHS releases lately. I bought the Camp 80's retro collection, but it was a neat looking Red VHS tape and they had the decency to have that film and the others on dvd in the same package.

6. Mutilated Prey

What he said. I don't get it.

7. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I found one used at a record/cd/dvd store about a year ago. Knew it was oop, turned and sold it on Ebay for $125 . It was in decent condition, not mint though. Sat for almost three months, but it did sell. So, it wouldn't surprise me if someone could get $300 for a new copy. Supply and demand in full effect.

8. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I have the Barrel DVD, managed to obtain one just after it went OOP and the prices soared. Great release but I've only watched it once and haven't checked out any of the special features.

9. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

300 $!? jeez

Beginning to wonder what some of my older DVD's are going for , I have the barrel release

seeing the VHS resurgence is surprising too, the nostalgic factor I can understand , but I also remember giving mine to friends or the trash can when they hit dvd..

10. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

So you bought it just for the sake of making a quick buck off a horror fan?

Jeez doesn't that sound familiar folks, bueller, bueller?

As far as this VHS item goes garbage and no thank you!

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I don't see any problem with selling an item at a price that someone will pay. This is why there is a collector's market. Some people enjoy paying high prices for rare items, and some people enjoy benefiting off those people.

Rare items cost more to obtain. To all of a sudden rally against this cost structure requires one to go much higher up the supply/demand chain than OOP DVD sellers. You know, talk to rare diamond jewelers first, please. Or, I know, maybe reach out to the world of art vendors. Why should we have to pay more for some old guy's painting, right? It's just paint, canvas, and a frame. To hell with that guy's estate trying to make money off of someone who appreciates artwork.

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

As for the VHS? Pretty sweet package. I have no idea what the CPU is for packaging and recording to a run of 500 tapes, plus a mask and a shirt. $77 is too rich for my blood, but it's looks like a cool grab for fans.

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

If it's worth that to someone, then so be it. Personally I think it's crazy and am more than happy to just have a dub of the dvd. It's worthless, but has the exact same entertainment value when spinning.:)

Plus this is something that came and went, not even close to the still shipping LionsGate Horror Collection gouges. Don't know who made the market for Dead End Street, but it got made somehow. It's not even that great of a movie!

Don't you ever look for OOP stuff at used store or pawn shops? Would you let one sit there for $5 when you knew you could make at least 20X that, or would you come offer it here for what you paid plus shipping? Some things just have to go that ebay route, I understand and am fine with that. If I missed something I'll try and find my own deal, or get a dub via trade or download. No one will make me pay more for a dvd than I am willing, and no one is making anyone else pay more either. Someone thought it was fair, good for them.:)

14. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

If I want something OOP eventually I do find it at a responsible price. I don't run around trying to find something rare for the sake of making profit. However you are correct to each their own I guess. If someone likes it in the ass they will find something to stick in it. So I have to humbly agree again on your excellent points.

Also yes I agree this movie does in fact suck.

15. Mutilated Prey

Cmon Guy. Where did you get that stat from? That sounds like a mental condition :D

If you own something and later decide you don't need/want it anymore and it's going for a good price, then great for you. But to just out and grab something in demand for the sake of profiting on something you don't care about nor have nothing to do with is called "scalping". Fuck scalpers man. But whatevs.

Yes. I just want to see the movie sometimes. I don't always have to actually own the real release. So who can burn me a copy of the Barrel release :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I think there are different levels. I was walking through a local store a few years ago and saw a copy of the BCI Savage Streets dvd for $20. I thought to myself "I can sell that for twice that on ebay." so i picked it up, and did just that. I feel no guilt. I've paid twice retail value for OOP items i've really wanted. Its another thing to buy up large quantities of an item, in order to create a drought in the market, and then charge ridiculous prices. making a profit on a lucky find isn't something to be ashamed of. fucking over a lot of horror fans by deliberately removing a product from circulation, so you can then gauge them on ebay is another matter.

that said, i'd love a copy of the Barrell DVD too, or a rerelease of it by someone else. I've never seen the film, so there's no way i'd pay the outrageous prices being asked for it right now, but it seems like a really excellent package of an obscure horror film, which i always love.

Also, i don't really get this VHS "boom" either. nostalgia i get. collecting tapes of titles never released on dvd is something i can understand. but it seems asinine to be putting out genuine releases of films on VHS now. if you've got the rights, then release it on dvd (at the least).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  17. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Kripes...I'd rather buy the Sun Video VHS for that kinda money.

18. startide

startide Member

For a VHS special edition, or whatever you wanna call it, that sleeve sure is ugly. One of the reasons I buy videos is because the art is so pretty (see recently posted Nail Gun Massacre art - that art is so nice it actually makes me want to buy it so that I own a copy!), but that art is just passable, at best, and as someone who hasn't seen the movie, it doesn't make the film appealing either. That was one of the reasons poster and video sleeve art was so important, most of the films were utter crap, but the box art made you want to have a look at it, maybe even rent/buy it.

19. LHODESfanatic

LHODESfanatic New Member

TOETAG LHODES Vhs

Okay dipshits. Killjoy from Necrophagia and TOETAG teamed up to release this vhs as a tribute to Roger Watkins and the 35th anniversary of LHODES. Killjoy owns the rights to the Beta and Vhs of LHODES. Not the dvd rights. Therefore, he is not legally allowed to release it on dvd. The vhs comes with a lot of new features that are never before seen (even more than they list on their website). A T-shirt, 3 stickers, 3 patches, a rare still and a chance to win a mask replica wall statue. This is a very good collectors item.

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I am all about VHS revival. I find there are certain movies I just prefer my old beat up VHS for. Now would I go out of my way for this? No, I already have an old beat up bootleg from back in the day and the barrel DVD. If it was a cardboard big box, I may hesitate a second. Call me a sucker, but for $300 I ain't.