Lars Von Trier's House that Jack Built

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Apr 26, 2018.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's being released in theatres here in UK in it's uncut form, so will be released on disc in the same version, so uncut will be available.

sinister likes this.
  2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I just saw it here in Toronto uncut. It is f!!!ing remarkable. There was a scene where I was laughing to the point of tears. The intentional humour worked great and helped dealing with the onslaught of violence. It is both the best comedy and best horror film of the year. Hell, it is the best film of the year period. The rest of the theatre seemed to be into it as well. Everyone laughed at the intentional humour. Then when something crazy serious happens, the whole theatre fell in utter silence. Lars was in full control of the audience's emotions with this movie. He is a master.

MorallySound and Myron Breck like this.
  3. sinister

sinister Active Member

It's up for download or streaming now but seems it's only the cut version, with un-cut not available until next year.

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Bummer! :(

I'll still be checking it out this weekend regardless.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Cheers, I think it's pretty pointless going this route, uncut or nothing for me.

6. sinister

sinister Active Member

Yes, un-cut or nothing for me too. :) The UK Blu-ray will be out in March apparently and will be the un-cut version.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'd consider viewing a cut version if it was a theatrical showing with an appropriate audience. Consider.

But if it's a solo, home viewing, then yeah I'm gonna wait for the most complete version.

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I watched it last night and thought it was quite fantastic, even if it is the weakest of Von Trier's most recent films. The mix of black humor and gruesome violence worked very well and the story had me captivated. I can see why so many people are disappointed with this film because Von Trier's ego shines through at various points - there is a section of the film where Matt Dillion gives a soliloquy on how art has shaped humanity.... and we get a montage of clips from Von Trier's previous films - which is distracting, but didn't ruin the film for me. I'm still a bit torn on how I feel about the ending of the film because it gets way too abstract and self serving, but the ends justified the means. A truly subversive and engrossing experience regardless if you end up loving or hating it. Without a doubt one of the best horror films of the year.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I adored the movie and agree about it being one of the best horror films of the year, but disagree about it being the weakest of Von Trier's most recent films. I thought it was easily his best since Dancer In The Dark. It can be disturbing one moment, then laugh out loud hilarious the next. I loved his little OCD quirks, and all the little details they explored that you don't often see in the serial killer genre. The last fifteen minutes could make or break the movie for some, but I fully admired the bold outrageousness of it. Plus, the end credits song was too perfect.

It reminded me of an arthouse version of Confessions Of A Serial Killer. Can't wait for the blu-ray!

Colin likes this.
  10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught this last night theatrically (and we got the Director's Cut here in Canada) and as a von Trier fan gotta say I didn't much care for this one. Thought it was bad-masturbatory von Trier rather than good-masturbatory von Trier as he's just full of himself all over the place with this one and flaunting his ego and misogyny too proudly and grotesquely here. It had it's moments of brilliance (loved the ending), but I'm in the group that this is indeed one of his weakest films.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Watched the UK blu of this yesterday. A few of the comments here said it was the best horror film of the year. For me it was tedious and at 150 minutes way way way too long. The script didn't work for me either. The film begins with Uma Thurman getting into Dillon's van and then casually saying "you look like a serial killer." Absolutely ridiculous and unbelievable. There were a few scenes that worked well (picnic) and some of the dialog did achieve the satire it was going for but overall I found the film to be a mess. I've seen three of Trier's films and this was the worst.