Kristy (2014) - The latest movie the Weinsteins squandered

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Oct 23, 2015.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch the movie Kristy on Lifetime last weekend? It was supposed to air on Saturday night in their prime 8PM time slot, they had even been airing ads for about two weeks in advance. But when Saturday came, they ended up pulling it and airing it on Sunday at noon instead. Don't understand why, maybe they found it too intense for their target demo to air it at nighttime? Fortunately, my DVR automatically adjusted based on the title, so I was able to catch it.

But even before Lifetime came into the mix, this was a movie the Weinsteins had acquired and planned to release theatrically, filmed in 2012. But like Mandy Lane before it, it just sat on a shelf. Then, a few weeks ago, out of blue it was announced that it would be airing on Lifetime.

[​IMG]

On to the movie. Don't let the Lifetime thing or the distribution woes scare you off. This is a really terrific little genre movie. I loved it! If I had to describe the plot and keep it brief, I'd say it's a teen movie version of You're Next, but instead of a family gathering at a remote estate, this one follows a girl who is staying alone on an isolated campus over Thanksgiving break.

You would think a movie that focuses almost entirely on one girl wandering around a college campus would get a little boring or visually uninteresting, but it's really beautifully filmed and rich with atmosphere. Even simple shots of the girl wandering down an empty dorm corridor are filled with dread or the fear that something could jump out at any moment. Once the bad guys do show up, it's an unrelenting cat-and-mouse chase that doesn't let up until the very end. Don't expect gore, but what it lacks in blood in makes up for in suspense. I got really into it.

It also helps that the lead, Haley Bennett (The Hole, The Haunting Of Molly Hartley), is so easy to root for. She's likable, charismatic, smart, and when she fights back she means business. Even Twilight starlet Ashley Greene is suitable creepy as one of the baddies.

I'm not sure if or when they'll be airing it again, but keep an eye on the Lifetime schedule for this one. It's a terrific little chase thriller that is so much better than its distribution fate. Hopefully it makes it to blu-ray in the US soon, because this is definitely one I'll be picking up.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Lifetime. Now I truly have seen everything on Horrordvds.com. Time to shut it down, guys. :cool:

[​IMG]

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I will have a tag on my fucking toe before I ever watch another second of anything on Lifetime! The fact this is on that network means it has to suck, history has proven this to me and I tried more than a few LT flicks, each worse than the previous.

4. CPT HOOK

It's technically not a Lifetime movie, it's Dimension Films / The Weinstein Company (the Weinstein logo is still before the movie on it's TV airing). Kind of like how Vacancy, Orphan, and Wrong Turn 2 aren't Lifetime movies despite airing on the channel. If Kristy had just been another Lifetime Movie Of The Week I probably wouldn't have bothered myself, but I had heard about it long before hand.

But hey, it's your loss. :p

Hell, the first time I saw The Midnight Hour (1985), one of my favorites, was on Lifetime. I'm surprised and a little disappointed that one hasn't been popping up constantly in the "Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread" (in fact, I don't think I've seen it in there at all yet).

It's kind of interesting to look up Kristy on Google and see the production history, how long it has taken to get out there, etc. Dimension Films optioned the script from Anthony Jaswinski (Vanishing On 7th Street) in early 2009. The "Thanksgiving Day slasher" script went into production in 2012, originally with Gary Fleder (Kiss The Girls) to direct, who was then replaced by Oliver Blackburn (Donkey Punch). It was originally planned to star Emma Watson (Harry Potter, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower).

5. CPT HOOK

Happy Halloween! Now available on NetFlix streaming.

6. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Definitely worth a watch. It's completely contrived and silly but who cares. What you get is basically a slasher chase scene stretched out to about an hour. It is pretty well done and the bad guys have a straightforward but unnerving look. As opposed to most modern films of this type the director concentrates on simplicity and atmosphere, building suspense by drawing out tense moments and using excellent editing. The opening scene creates mystery and the scene in the gas station is great.

I also like the way the heroine is not an immediate "superhero" and has to learn to fight back in realistic ways.

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yo dudes, if you haven't seen this one, this weekend is the perfect time to watch it! Somehow by chance I checked this out last night not knowing it was the perfect time of year. Common, we're always saying Thanksgiving needs it's own slasher tradition, this could be a great one! I really hope they make this into a series. They certainly have set the stage for it to be one. It's such a simple premise that it is chillingly genius.

Happy Thanksgiving!

CPT HOOK likes this.
  8. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I thought this one was pretty good. Worth watching, at least.

9. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I have to say that this one was a shocker for me when I caught it on Netflix today as it was an excellent movie from start to finish. In fact, I would have to say it was one of the best horror movies I have seen all year! You should definitely catch this ASAP- I am a gorehound and did not miss the lack of blood at all, as the suspense more than makes up for the lack of juice. Do NOT miss this flick!

10. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Watched this last month, definitely a surprise for me. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

11. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Kept a solid pace with good tension.