Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 6, 2015.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Wow!!! I want all of them. But hate to be a bummer, but why not just put it out as one big set? Everyone of those cartoons are all by the same company and used to run all together. Plus you're talking 186 episodes. That's nothing for Blu-ray.

2. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Maybe they only know how to encode BD-25's?

3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

From Kino's Facebook page:

I'm excited! :D

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Now we're talking! Finally something to get excited about (Savage Weekend). The past few Kino announcements have all been obscure Westerns and now cartoons. Let's get to the Halloween stuff, shall we? Other forums are playing guessing games and saying some of these are possibilities:

Cathy's Curse
    The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
    Raw Meat (aka Death Line)

OK, that first one wasn't mentioned but Matthew David over at AV Maniacs hinted it was picked up for release and Kino (through MGM) was/is my only guess. If it's Arrow I'm going to go to the bathroom in my pants :eek:

5. Kim Bruun

I'm down for Raw Meat as well, but I'm a little surprised over the recent buzz about Cathy's Curse. I thought the consensus was that it wasn't very good. :p

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

They've also hinted Spellbinder.

And let's not forget Burnt Offerings. Did they do the full announcement for that yet?

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Their Nosferatu and Planet of the Vampires Blus were BD-50.

8. elDomenechHDG

It really isn't a very good movie :p It's more about nostalgia for me since I saw it theatrically(!) when I was about 9 and have never forgotten it. The creepy doll scene rivals that of the creepy doll scene is Curtains IMO. Having recently watched the film again I thought it retained some of the eeriness but, yeah, it's not among the best of horror films of that type. A Blu-ray will probably be a revelation - all the prints I've seen have been horrendous. What buzz has there been about the film recently, Kim? I just want confirmation that it's really coming out on BD :)

9. Kim Bruun

Sorry if I got your hopes up. What I meant was that I've seen it requested a few times recently on Blu-Ray.com - but maybe that Washington by you. ;)

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Upcoming release schedule posted on HomeTheaterForum:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/top...ad-strictly-moderated-read-guidelines/page-65

Man so much stuff is getting announce it's hard to remember what's new in that list but I believe Murnau's Faust had yet to be announced. It'll be of the recent German restoration I believe.

13. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Am I the only one not impressed with Kino? Meteor looks like a DVD transfer I'm not impressed at all.

14. CPT HOOK

Like Shout Factory, Twilight Time, and Olive, I'm pretty sure they're just taking the HD masters from MGM and putting it on the disc.

However, unlike Olive and Twilight Time, I like that Kino actually tries to assemble some extras for these movies (I believe Walt from Scorpion frequently helps them out with this, for which I am grateful). They do a really terrific job with interviews too, editing, etc. I watched their White Lightning disc last night, and even though the Burt Reynolds interview is only a brief 10 minutes, there's so much information packed into that time. It's pretty much everything you'd want to know about the movie. Every so often, they'll do the career interviews, which are the absolute BEST (I believe Scorpion is usually responsible for these, because they have similar ones on their own discs). For example, I remember the Lou Diamond Phillips interview on The First Power being terrific.

I just received Drum the other day, which I'm looking forward to. Should also have Needful Things this week. I'm so glad they're the company that got Modern Girls! I just wish they had gotten Roller Boogie instead of Olive. Regardless, lots of great stuff on the way from Kino!

Of the blu-ray companies cranking out these MGM movies as of late, I'd say Kino is one of the better ones.

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

According to Mister Lime (Kino connection on Blu-ray.com), Kino has released some newly re-mastered titles.

16. elDomenechHDG

Secret Admirer, Blue Steel and No Way Out (1987) are coming to BD but not from Kino, MisterLime confirmed on BR.com. I'm guessing Olive for Secret Admirer and Twilight Time for the other two. Frankly, I don't care where they come from as long as they look and sound as best as possible.

17. CPT HOOK

Said three separate labels, so Blue Steel and No Way Out aren't both with Twilight Time. I'm guessing Shout Factory for Blue Steel?

Also mentioned that Fox / MGM is planning their own blu-ray release of Valley Girl. ronnie wants to know why there aren't any reviews yet.

18. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yup. They also put no effort into special features, often put titles on BD-25s with low bitrates. They just threw together their release of Convoy when the film was completely restored by StudioCanal a couple years ago.

I dunno I think they're kinda lazy.

~Matt

20. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Yeah this is a prime example of blu rays that are nothing but a gimmic format.