Justin Osbourne from Slashers Designs Art Plagiarism

Discussion in 'General' started by spawningblue, Mar 7, 2013.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Too true. The thing I've always loved about the virgin among the living dead is that the zombie most prominently displayed upon that Wizard cover is Simon Garth, the main character from the 1970s Marvel Comics series "Tales of the Zombie". I've always been mystified with how they got away with that one.

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Bravo, you've pointed out the obvious. Of course this has happened in the past, everyone here knows this kind of stuff has been happening for ages...take Bathory's self titled for example, or Slayer's Hell Awaits cover, or even The Misfits famous fiend skull...its nothing new. But what this Justin guy has done has taken it to a whole nother level. This isn't an isolated case of some uknown dude jacking an image off the net and crudely slapping it on the cover of his deathcore demo. This guy's ENTIRE work is based on compositing and disguising previously drawn artwork and passing it off and promoting it as his own original hand drawn material; famous pieces mind you, from artists held in high regard, such as Julie Bell and Frank Frazetta. And this Justin fellow has misled his paying clients (high profile clients to boot) and gained quite the popularity as an "artist" by doing so. That is where the outrage stems from.

Anybody who condones this type of thievery with "this sorta thing happens all the time" clearly isn't understanding the true scope of all this...they also may even want to consider taking into question their own personal morales.

3. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Okay so explain how that is different from the DAY OF THE DEAD cover using the RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD zombie? It's another film's image being used to advertise another from a legitimate company.

I'm not saying I condone the stealing of art from others, it's wrong and deceitful - but it's again not the first time it has happened. That's the only point I was trying to make here.

4. Chomp

Re-read my post.

5. Nathan Milliner

Nathan Milliner New Member

Please, please, please check your facts before posting this kind of statement. Justin Osbourn did the coverart for "Lifeforce". I did however do the coverart for "The Howling." And in regards to The Howling, the heads of the three actors on the cover were referenced from stills from the film--everything else was drawn from my own imagination. ;)

6. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

More examples of stolen design elements by Justin 'Slasher Design' Osbourn...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

i think the texas chainsaw 2 comparison is really 'clutching at straws', but you can't deny the others the schizold/prowler hester prynne one is shocking.

8. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I thought so too the first time I saw it, but upon closer examination, the black blotch marks on the side of the saw blade are exact. The image has just been reversed in Photoshop. It's the same chainsaw image, though.

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The tee shirt is the worst, just a straight up copy with slightly different colors sold as something new. Wack!

10. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

I corrected my error a few posts back, after I realized I had the wrong guy. Sorry.

11. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I still can't place that face from the SkeletonWitch shirt, and it's driving me nuts.

[​IMG]

12. Chomp

The one drinking the beer? I know he has used that image before on the Fright Rags Silent Night, Deadly Night shirt/poster…I don’t know if that’s an original drawing or if its lifted too…probably lifted.

Some of these examples are just hard to understand why he wouldn’t just draw it in…even if he just simply traced the image. I’m not too concerned about the t-shirt graphics I guess, but the album art is just unacceptable.

Though still no word from Justin, eh?

13. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

So far, nothing.

He even deleted (or possibly just deactivated) his Facebook page.

Sad thing is, he's already been hired by Scream Factory to do another 2 Blu-ray covers for upcoming releases. One of which, is probably their most anticipated release of the Fall.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

is the face on the SkeletonWitch shirt from the stuff?

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I thought the same earlier and did a Google image search for "The Stuff" but nothing came up similar. That same type of face/pose - the upward scream - is featured on numerous giallo and slasher film posters, but I haven't been able to find the exact same image yet.

16. nateynate87

nateynate87 New Member

So it appears he LITERALLY has no artistic ability whatsoever.......

He's just a photoshopper.

I'm amazed it's taken this long to realize, it really looks like he has no original art at all.

17. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I thought that at first too, The Stuff... might be from Silent Night Deadly Night, or one of those Amicus anthology flicks...

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

He needs to pull out those piercings in his lips, and let the bullshit ooze out.

19. Chomp

I wouldn’t say he has no artistic ability…the dude has a pretty good eye for laying out a design, and is more than likely a whiz at Photoshop. It’s definitely not an easy task trying to composite several images from so many different sources and then try to make everything look like one cohesive hand drawn piece like that.

Man…if he would have just traced the images so that they weren’t just identical cut and pastes, I doubt we’d be having this conversation. It just sucks that people are confusing this guy with other artists, like Nathan…if anything that should be a reason for Justin to come forth with an explanation, so these other artists don’t get pulled through the mud.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  20. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Funny how nobody complaints or cries when some Rapper takes an old song and changes nothing but the lyrics.