Juon and Freeze me

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Hoodoo Operator, Nov 16, 2003.

1. I'm pretty new to the whole Asian cinema scene and have been wanting to check out some good horror movies. I bought The Eye and was wondering about Juon and Freeze Me - are they worth buying?

Hoodoo Operator

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I love Freeze Me. It's not a high action film by any means, but it's very well made.

3. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Never seen Juon. But Freeze me was good, I recommend it.

4. gusse

gusse New Member

I saw Ju-on 1&2 on the big screen today (Stockholm filmfestival) and I found them both pretty darn brilliant! I'll try to write an indepth review or something like that later - i don't have time right now (I'm off to see Prozac Nation soon). For now you'll just have to take my word for it - you WANT to se Ju-On (AKA "the Grudge") as soon as possible and dont miss the sequel either! :banana:

5. gusse

gusse New Member

I have just posted a combined review of Juon 1&2 in a new thread in the General-section. But just to show you what a nice guy I am I'll copy&paste it for you ;)

Ju-On 1&2 (aka ”The Grudge 1&2”)

There has been quite a buzz about these pictures on the Internet since they were unleashed in Japan and I was very psyked about being able to see them both on the big screen. I never did get a good grip about the movie from the reviews I have red on the internet, for instance the grades on IMDB are pretty mediocre – but never the less many people hype this movie like it’s the best ghost/horror movie in ages. I was not sure about the quality of the movie, but still I looked forward to finally being able to put the curiosity behind me. And boy oh boy am I glad I did! I found both of these movies to be immensely enjoyable! One might argue that they are both a bit lacking in the story department – but I really don’t think that those imperfections keep the movies from becoming instant classics just like (the original) The Ring and Dark Water.

Both movies are told in the ShortCuts/Magnolia fashion, you know – the story is told from a bunch of different people´´s perspective as they cross eachothers paths and so forth. The link between all the people in this movie is a certain haunted house. Each person in the movies get an own chapter. Not all characters interact with each other and the stories/chapters are not necessarily in chronological order. At times it can be a bit difficult to know/remember who the character we are following at the moment is and what his/here relation to other people and how she has been in contact with the haunted house, but all in all I never felt the story got “too” hard to follow. I reckon some of the question marks will vanish upon a second viewing.

The first movie centres on a family living in what is quickly shown to be a haunted house. Besides the people actually living in the house there are also central characters who at one time or a nother visit the house (relatives, police and so on). The second movie centres on members of a filmteam who are making a movie in the house from the first picture. I guess I liked the first one a little better since the second one was a bit more uneven, bit somehow I still felt the second one felt shorter even though it was a few minutes longer!? Weird… But anyway, they where both pretty darn enchanting!

As you might know the script/story of these movies is written by the same man who wrote Ringu and Dark Water, and the movie is Produced by the guy who made Kairo (aka Pulse). If you are familiar with those movies you have a pretty good idea about the feeling and style of this movie. Most of the horror in the movie is built upon creepy sounds, weird movements, lighting, things happening of centre of the picture and an overall feeling of appending doom though out. These movies are both a bit bloodier that the above mentioned ones, but there is never any real gore.

When I claimed that the story in both movies might be somewhat lacking I was thinking about the fact that the movies are about 20% actual story/introduction/buildup and then there’s more or less only cheer terror the rest of the way. Sure each chapter gives the viewer a bit more information about what might (or might not) be going on but there are never any huge revalations/twists. Anyway – a big amount of the horror in these movies is the fact that you never really know exactly what’s going on and that gives you an (enjoyably) uncomfortable feeling that anything might happen, it’s just a matter of how and when…

A thing I was impressed by in both movies is the fact that there is so much spookiness and terror in there but they still manages to stay in the progressive-horror-genre. There is a pretty darn fast paste as soon as the story/characters have been introduced and things could easily have slipped in to a action-movie but it never does. It’s pretty aweinspiring to see how the movies manage to get creepier by the minute fore 95minutes…

One thing that seemed to bother some people in the audience at the screening I attended was the fact that the movies might feel a bit repetitive after a while since they mostly takes place in the same (little) house and the same fright-techniques are used over and over and so forth. But to be honest this never bothered me since I found the movies style to bee so darn effective!

All in all I loved both of these movies as you might have guessed by now. Both movies seem to concentrate more on the actual horror than on the story that starts the terror. Some will certainly fin these movies to be somewhat “hollow”, some might find them repetitive and some might be frustrated about the fact that no clear answers given – but I say the hell with that! If you are looking for some seriously creepy ghost-movies in the same vein as Ringu, look no further. On a plain old “frightometer” these ones are about as good as they come. If you ask me that is!

6. I need some help as I'm very confused now as to just what Ju-on I need. I go on IMDB and they list 4 movies: Ju-on, Ju-on 2, Ju-on The Grudge, Ju-on The Grudge 2. So are the first 2 movies (the non grudge movies) the straight to video releases and the Ju-on the Grudges the same movies reworked for full theatrical release? I also read somewhere that half of Ju-on 2 contains material from Ju-on, whats the deal with that?

Any help would be most appreciated as I need this movie soon.

Hoodoo Operator

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I can also recommend Freeze Me. Bought it as a blind buy and I'm happy I did.