Jordan Peele's "US" (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Dec 25, 2018.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I thought it was fantastic. Funny in parts, creepy in others, lots of bloody violence. So many subtle (and not so subtle) references to other horror films, and symbolism that can be analyzed and chewed over for days. I cannot wait to get this on Blu to listen to Peele talk about it. The more I reflect on it, the more I like it.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

When I left the theater, I wasn't sure what to think. I loved the score, the imagery, the parallels and hidden, twisty dialogue. I didn't find it particularly scary, but I felt...unsettled. Then, my wife and I discussed it throughout the next day, and when I arrived at work, most of my coworkers were talking about it.

A few days removed, I now see it as an incredibly thought-provoking film and while it wasn't as immediately successful in my eyes as Get Out, it's a much greater slow burn. Jordan Peele is on quite the roll.

dave13 and CPT HOOK like this.
  3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I'm still mulling over a lot of things, but I can say I defiantly enjoyed this one, maybe even a bit more than "Get Out". Although a number of elements presented are a bit sloppy. The biggest step up here in comparison to Peele's previous film is the cinematography, it felt more cinematic in presentation where "Get Out" felt very flat and too much like a tv show. I also like the subtlety of what the Doppelgangers are suppose to represent. The idea of "Who is my true enemy?" is also too perfect of a subject to tackle in the internet age with the rise in bipartisanship and the "You're either with us or against us" mentality so many people seem to have. Then you have the use of symmetry and allusions to 11/11 which were very cleaver as well.

My big problem with the film would have to be the reveal at the very end, which - despite some logical inconsistencies - really sucked some of the air out of the room for me.

It turns out the doppelgangers are products of some sort of government experiment. And Lupita Nyong’o's character was abducted by her double as a child, with the Doppelganger version taking on her "Real World" persona into adulthood.

Personally, would have loved if Peele had kept those story elements out of the film because it would have cranked up the creep factor for me. It also would have been a great source of debate for years to come. Reguardless, "Us" still does more right than it does wrong and I very much look forward to seeing it again.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Whilst I left the movie a little confused I can't say I hated it. There's just a lot to take in here on a first watch. It's one of those movies you have to watch a few times and I look forward to doing so. The cinematography and music was great and the funny bits landed well for me. I really enjoyed the family which was a big plus too.

I've been enjoying hearing other people make sense of it. There's definitely a lot of cool references and things that line up that I wasn't able to figure out on my watch. In my defence I was pretty tired when I went to see it lol :p

5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I really liked "Get Out" and loved "Key & Peele". So, expectations were high. And those expectations were not met after the initial viewing. But, I feel that may change after some time and a likely second viewing. There's no doubt that this is a dense film and part of my initial bland reaction was due to feeling that it was a bit scattered in its overall metaphor. I also felt that it had some tonal issues. In particular some of the comedic beats didn't quite flow well. It sits so heavily on the line between horror and black comedy that the line really starts to sag.

That said, there is plenty to like with the film. I really liked the family a lot. I had a unique reaction to the first act in that I was really dreading seeing anything bad happen to the point where I was actually thinking maybe I didn't want to see this movie. The twin effects, from both a technical angle and from the performances were so seamless as to be really impressive if you stopped to remind yourself that those were all the same actors. And you really had to stop yourself to remember that. Yeah, Winston Duke wasn't as good as the rest of the family members. But, the others were so good that it didn't matter much. Overall, I thought the plot twists were all well handled. Though it seemed like the two big reveals towards the end could have used more time to really let the implications settle in. But, everything was really well set up.

Overall, it's certainly an ambitious second feature and a very intelligent film with lots to say and a good amount of originality in saying it. But, it lacked something to make it top tier. It's missing some sort of payoff for all of the interesting ideas that are planted all over the film.

The odd film comparison that I felt throughout the film was to Southland Tales. Both were bigger follow-ups to very successful first features and both had far greater ambitions and ideas. But, in both cases, they couldn't seem to comfortably contain all of the ideas that they had. And the end result was, in both cases, a bit of a mess. Very entertaining and creative, but still a mess.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I finally caught it last night at the theater with my best friend and his wife. We all went into it with high expectations also... and by the end of the movie we were all extremely underwhelmed. We all thought Get Out was really good, and the trailer for Us looked amazing too... but the end result was just a jumbled pretentious mess of incohesive and unrequited conundrums. I thought maybe it was just me at first, but we all pretty much said at the same time that we were sorely disappointed. I think it rode in on the coattails of Get Out, did have a very effective trailer... and yet it failed miserably.

The film just failed to work on just about every level. Most of the "horror" just fell flat, the suspense was just laughable at times, and the comedy elements were more of an ineffective annoyance than anything else. I was just flabbergasted at how ineffectual everything came together. Another thing was that you just knew how the film was going to eventually end from the first 10 minutes. It was just so blatantly obvious, and everything in between was just filler.

I can see why the box office attendance dropped off so sharply after its opening weekend. Were all of the critics paid off in advance or something?

None of us absolutely "hated" it, but we all agreed to a rating of 4 out of 10 for the film. I was truly disappointed, and it's certainly not a movie I'll ever have any desire to watch again. It was definitely the most overhyped film I've seen at the theater in years.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Body Boy, chancetx and russweiss like this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I had a lot of fun with it. It seemed to me to be 100% a black comedy. I was laughing more with Us than a lot of straight up comedies. Maybe I have a much more twisted sense of humor. I didn't see Get Out so maybe that helps with expectations?

I have to admit I didn't see the ending coming. I try not to think too far ahead while watching movies. It's bad enough that trailers will pretty well telegraph an entire plot. But I can see that it could be predicted. I wasn't looking for a twist. So I didn't see it coming.

Workshed and Zombie Dude like this.