Johnny Depp to star in Dark Shadows film

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Jul 27, 2007.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'm glad this is taking a more comedic route with the material. Looks like fun.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm more worried it'll turn out like Sweeney Todd, which is the only Tim Burton movie I didn't at all like (yes I'd rather watch Planet of the Apes). When the subject matter is almost too close to Burton's own aesthetics I fear it's just too much. The fact that Sweeney Todd got so many accolades, especially compared to Chocolate Factory/Wonderland (both which I liked), makes me even more concerned.

I'll see it in IMAX but I'm much more interested in Frankenweenie. Not only was the original short a favorite of mine (I rented the VHS thousands of times as a kid) but stop motion is one of my favorite mediums as well. I just hope it's better than the lackluster Corpse Bride (another too close to home project).

3. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Trailer is beautiful and the Carpenters bit is hilarious, but a couple of clips seemed to border on goofball shtick rather than the high camp I was dreaming of. Still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter look phenomenal.

4. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I was hoping it would be more like House of Dark Shadows, or even Burton's Sleepy Hollow, so the trailer put me off a little bit.Having said that, I am definitely going to see this as it looks like it may be a lot of fun ! Plus Eva Green is super hot so that doesn't hurt either.:D

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm sure that there's going to be plenty of genuine spookiness in the final product. Yeah, there's humor, but trailers are always made by a separate unit of people who make trailers for a ton of other films at the same time. There's a formula to them so they often make mistakes when it comes to films that don't fit into an easy category. Who among us hasn't seen nor heard of a trailer being completely misrepresentative of the final product? I remember being a teenager and looking forward to seeing Parenthood starring Steve Martin because it looked like a romp. It certainly had it's comedic elements but it definitely was a drama no question about it.

6. muceo13

muceo13 Member

I'm getting a 90s Addams Family vibe from the trailer.

7. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

There's several homages to Burton's Batman Returns:

- "Burn baby burn" is used in both films
    - The bit where Eva Green licks Johnny Depp's face and neck is almost exactly alike to the Pfeiffer/Keaton scene

8. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Should we just assume Depp is going to star in every Burton flick until the end of time? Talk about stale.

9. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Same thing with Parenthood for me, I think I was 18 when I saw it in the theater and was somewhat let down. There are lots of misleading trailers like that. I remember when The World According To Garp was advertised and many people thought it might be funny as it starred Robin Williams. At the time he was known for his comedy, and Mork and Mindy on ABC. That is still one of the saddest films I have ever seen. Anyway, if Dark Shadows is half as fun as Beetlejuice, or Sleepy Hollow I will be very pleased. I don't care if it strays from the source material. Even though I am a fan of the original show, the movies , and it's reboot TV series it could do with a different slant. No sense in filming the same thing over and over, and the fact that it may be self aware of it's own campy appeal will only add to the entertainment value.

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The trailer makes it look like a straight up spoof and while I suppose that could be funny I honestly was not expecting a comedy and am rather surprised that this looks like one.Somehow I had never heard it was meant to be one.After THE WOMAN IN BLACK I was looking for something more gothic and serious,guess I'll have to look elsewhere.I'll wait for the reviews before I decide to see it or not.I have nothing against horror comedies,I was just wishing this wasn't one.

11. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Very true! I remember thinking Independence Day was going to be a cross between Alien and V but what a letdown that was when a friend and I went to see it and got The Fresh Prince Vs. The Spacemen.

12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Disappointment can't do this pile of shit justice.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I just don't get why Hollywood feels the need to turn every old show into a comedy when they adapt it; Starsky and Hutch, 21 Jump Street, Land of the Lost, Dukes of Hazzard, ect.