Jeff Lieberman's Remote Control (1988)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Hellbilly, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I've had the Jeff Lieberman Paypal page sitting open for the past 6 hours but I still can't bring myself to click the checkout button. I'm trying to make up excuses to justify buying it. There doesn't appear to be any movies I need to buy for the next month, but then I am a cheap bastard, so I still can't decide.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

You'll be kicking yourself once it sells out. :p

Somebody over at Blu-ray.com tried to order more than 2 copies in different orders, and got refunded. Jeff is apparently closely watching to make sure the Twilight Time scalpers don't rape everybody on ebay.

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yeah, I'll probably grab it when I get up tomorrow. I can always sell it later (for a non-rapey price) if I don't like the movie as much as I think I did. Of course I find out a new Arsis album is coming out so I have to get the t-shirt bundle of that next month, so I'll be dropping like $65 in the span of two minutes tomorrow.

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I finally got around to watching the REMOTE CONTROL VHS I picked up last year for $5. After a really entertaining fist act it slowly loses steam and before coming to a forgettable conclusion. This feels like one of those films that was meant to be viewed on a clean VHS. The film revolves around renting a VHS tape. Add to that, there isn't much in the way of impressive visuals or interesting cinematography and the soundtrack isn't great.

Its worth seeing as a rental or for less than $10, but $30+ is for diehards that know what there getting into. I can't imagine there will be many people that will be satisfied paying $30+ as a blind buy.

5. Katatonia

I know there's been at least one person in this thread who was totally satisfied paying $30+ for this as blind buy. They loved the film.

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

More than half of my Criterions were blind buys and the only one under $20 was Picnic at Hanging Rock. Naked Lunch was $30+.

And I don't know if satisfied is not regretting buying but I definitely don't regret buying any of them.

I know the reason I'm considering it is because this will be the only time to buy it. I believe Lieberman when he says that. Right about now, I know I would have plonked down $30 for Possession if I knew that Blue Underground disc was going to fall through and when the hell is that getting re-released (Criterion should really be looking into this one). Never seen that one before.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I too, own the VHS, and have been wanting a Blu-Ray of this, but $34.95 is a little bit too much. Will have to wait a while on this.

8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I ordered the Blu. Jeff Lieberman will be at the Chiller end of April, and I'm sure he'll have the BD there. But I'm not taking the chance these might sell out. I love Remote Control and I'm happy to support the director.

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Never seen this but it looks right up my alley. Unfortunately it is $10 to ship to Canada! So I would be looking at $45 to get this one. Hmm... decision, decisions...

10. Katatonia

That's actually about dead on now. The USPS increased international rates recently, and a small First Class International package to Canada now comes in at $8.55.

Prices to Europe, etc. are even more now...practically doubled over what they used to be. Just to ship a CD in a jewelcase within a small package (via 1st Class) is almost $14 to Europe.

11. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I went ahead and splurged since I'm getting a tax refund. I bought both a regular DVD and a Bluray copy figuring I could trade/sell either or both down the line. I hope Lieberman has better luck selling these at conventions. The Bluray was numbered 151 out of a thousand. The DVD was only #5! (Again out of a thousand.) Maybe wait and see if the he drops prices in a few months. Super fast first class shipping (I only ordered late Monday night.)

12. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched the BD this weekend and I really enjoyed it. The transfer looked pretty good and its probably the best it will ever look. Remote Control reminds me of a less over-the-top TerrorVision. I think I even like it better than TerrorVision even though TV had some awesome creature effects. Kevin Dillon is just an awesome 80’s “bad boy”…he fits the persona real well and the way in which he delivers his lines is sort of like an 80’s version of a The Fonz. I also love the whole video store setting...it’s fun trying to pick out box art.

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Picked this up directly from Jeff at Cinema Wasteland. Also had him sign my VHS of the film. Won't have a chance to check out the upgrade until I'm back from my trip.

14. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Te Bluray looks good, way better then any previous version. Lots of detail including easy to read video boxes and both male lead actors uni-brows! If you're a fan of this movie, the Blu is worth getting.

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

It looks like Lieberman will be at the Niagara Falls Comic Con in June which I plan on hitting up. I wonder if he'll still have some copies left then, as $30 would be better then $40.

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I have been spending way too much on movies lately, so I decided to wait until May 1st (the next billing cycle) to order this. Just received it today!

#280 of 1000 in case anyone is curious how fast these are moving...

17. killit

killit Active Member

weird, mine doesn't have a #

18. killit

killit Active Member

Nevermind, I'm an idiot, I'm 266 apparently

19. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Strange, I just ordered mine last weekend and I'm #265. Maybe he's doing them in batches?

20. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

I read on blu-ray.com's forum that Jeff Lieberman was intentionally sending these out of sequence to confuse how many had actually been sold; if true then the numbered item a person receives may not indicate quantity remaining.

Last edited: May 25, 2013