It Follows

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just found out that our run was also delayed by a week.

The only thing I can think of is that due to the success they want to open it wider, and need the additional week.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

The Portland premiere was delayed a week as well.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

So I imagine instead of the ONE theater you planned to see it in, it will now be in several.

4. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

:D, was heading down to Portland this weekend with friends; I talked them into seeing it while we were there, alas. Hope it's still playing in Seattle when we drive back up.

6. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

I hope this doesn't turn out like The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014) where it never gets a physical (Blu-ray/DVD) release. How the fuck do they expect these films to make any real money by giving them a limited theatrical release followed by VOD/Netflix streaming/digital download and no BD/DVD release???? :fire:

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

No, it's definitely getting the theatrical release. I do think the delay will help financially. The opening looks like it will be much larger than the initial list posted on the website. I imagine it's some bigger chains interested now, and they probably made a deal with the distributors to release it wider if they wait a week (I.E., it was supposed to open at Joe's Theater this weekend, AMC said wait a week and we'll put it in all our theaters. Yeah, that does suck for Joe's Theater who was willing to take a chance on the indie film, but money is money). The other reason for the delay is also to press more copies of the film to be distributed. It's easier now with DCP than to strike a film print like in the old days, but I'm sure there's still time and money involved.

We're getting to see this in the theaters, folks. Now everyone go, and go on OPENING WEEKEND. Not a few days later. It's opening weekend numbers that determine the performance of the film.

8. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

If it plays in SW Florida I will be there opening weekend!

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm sitting in the theater right now!!!!

Now for the waiting part...

10. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Just got back from it.... honestly it was fucking brilliant.
    Fantastic cinematography, the score is perfect & is totally John Carpenter influenced. The script is really smart and clever, there's really great foreshadowing in the earlier parts in the film. I loved it, totally worth the wait. I'm so glad it's getting a wide release now!!

11. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

just saw it today, LOVED IT! for once i was not let down from all the hype, it truly was fantastic. the acting was great, beautiful cinematography, and the score was incredible, and LOUD AS FUCK in my theater. i attended a 10:30am showing and surprisingly my theater was pretty packed! i think this thing is gonna do very well. if i had anything to complain about, it is that it does lose steam a little bit towards the end, but most of the reviews have even said this, and it is still fantastic overall. i can't stop thinking about it, it was so creepy and effective. man that first scene where you see the first form of "it" was SCARY as balls...see this guys!

12. CPT HOOK

I've only got my phone on me, so I'll write more tomorrow. But the short version: I adored every second of it and everybody needs to get out to the theater and see it when it goes wide.

13. CPT HOOK

Okay, more of my opinion on the film:

There are so many terrific elements that went into this film, I don't even know where to begin. There is such an attention to detail throughout.

They did a terrific job with casting. These aren't the typical young supermodels you see in teen-horror these days, the teens here are all attractive in unique and interesting ways. They're also all distinct without falling into the typical character stereotypes. These could very well be the kids you went to high school with, or the kids that lived in your neighborhood growing up.

The locations were very much the same way, but more on that in a second. The movie is very much grounded in mid-west suburbia, but the costumes and production design give it an interesting tilt, just enough for this world to be relatable yet keep you on your toes.

I grew up about an hour from where the movie was filmed, so I found myself especially enraptured by the locations. This isn't the Hollywood backlot suburbia of American Beauty and Desperate Housewives. This was suburbia the way I remember it, and I can't ever remember seeing it captured on film so perfectly.

In contrast, the movie also ventures into the ruins of the city (Detroit), the complete polar opposite of the safety and security of the suburbs. It's interesting to see the characters traveling back and forth between the two, and the ways the two settings creep into each other. This contrast adds a whole other layer to the movie's themes of sex, adolescence, and the end of innocence. For instance, where is Jay when she's first introduced to the titular "it"?

Is it scary? I thought so. My eyes were constantly scanning the screen, trying to spot the pursuer before the main characters did. I certainly left the theater thinking about it once it was over.

It Follows lived up to the hype, and then some. I'm glad they didn't dump it VOD, because let's face it, once it hits VOD it goes straight to the torrent sites for people to steal. If you're a horror fan, it's important for movies like It Follows to have a successful theatrical run, because it tells the studios that we want intelligent, quality genre films that aren't afraid to think outside the box and defy conventions. I hope everyone here gets the chance to go out and see it as it expands to more cities. Besides, the movie is visually gorgeous and demands to be seen in the theater.

14. soxfan666

It expands to 1200 theaters this weekend. All theaters around me are showing it. Pumped!!!!

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Going tonight in Ann Arbor. I'd feel a bit better if I could've bought tickets, but they weren't selling them through any site last night. Figure I'll get there for the 4:30 show and buy tix for 7pm. I doubt it will sell out but you never know. I don't know what State theater looks like inside anymore, it's been decades since I've been and it closed and reopened during that time, including the bottom half turned into an Urban Outfitters. Might be the same upstairs I used to sneak into though, saw some classics there like Terminator (5 times), Zombie, Day of the Dead, Evil Dead 2!
    Anyone heading out this way? Fire yo!:D

16. CPT HOOK

I'm glad I make the trek downstate to see it last weekend, because it's not playing in any theaters around me.

I do hope everyone here gets a chance to get out and see it this weekend though. If it were playing here, I'd be going to see it again.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

19 theaters in my area.

Now, here's my dilemma. I could go see it at the Arclight, a fancy-schmancy new theater about 15-20 miles from me with assigned stadium seating, high quality presentation, full bar, etc. I even have a gift card for this place, so I'd be in for free. Or I could see it at a theater just 2 miles from home, that's kinda run down. Last time I went (American Hustle, over a year ago), they still only showed 35mm prints. I do not have a gift card for this place so I'd have to pull out my wallet.

Kinda leaning towards the run-down theater, and saving the Arclight gift card for some big-budget presentation like a Bond film or something.

18. soxfan666

Boxofficemojo.com predicts only 3 million for this over the weekend.

19. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Paff, having seen the film I'll just say go with your instincts. :D

20. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

can someone spoil what is following them and why???