It Comes At Night (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I had no clue about this one until the trailer dropped today. Since it's being released by A24, a studio with an amazing track record for putting out quality films, I'm excited to see this.

Steel76, Workshed and Harry Warden like this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Don't even have to watch the trailer, they had me at A24 and Joel Edgerton. This will be a good one.

Harry Warden likes this.
  3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I'm in.

5. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

This looks pretty cool. I like the trailer music too, definitely creepy! I'd be interested in checking this out. My only hope, however, is that is isn't like The Witch, which frankly disappointed me. I think it had a look of dread and a gray atmosphere, but I just felt like it was a lot of nothing. Almost like Blair Witch without the motion sickness. A lot of talk and anticipation, but ultimately nothing to see.

6. Hatchetwarrior

New poster art. June 9th can't come soon enough!

[​IMG]

Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  7. Hatchetwarrior

The official trailer. :D

8. CPT HOOK

So tempted to watch the new trailer, but I'm forcing myself to go in blind.

Like I said before, with Joel Edgerton and A24, I already know this will be something special. Can't wait!

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I watched about half the trailer and then stopped. It looks like a good one.

10. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Same

11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

12. CPT HOOK

Can't wait to see this on Saturday!

Just watched the director's previous film on Amazon Prime, Krisha. Very thought provoking. It takes the suburban family Thanksgiving and films it using horror movie tropes (score, cinematography, etc). Definitely not a horror film though.

13. Natas

Natas Boy must have had weak bones

I believe I'll be checking this out over the weekend. Looks like it warrants a theater visit, fo sho. Keeping my expectations in check though.

14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Anyone see it yet? I'm thinking about going, but I'm not sure. From what I've read it sounds decent, but I also read that it has a vague abrupt ending, which I'm getting kind of tired of. Is it just me or does this happen a lot with modern horror? I'll admit I'm a bit of a dumbass, but it seems like a lot of stuff I'm watching these days ends vaguely or abruptly, then I don't get it and I have to go online and see if I missed something. It's like the writers are like "well, I've got nothing. Let's just have the movie stop, let the audience try and figure it out".

Sorry, not sure if this movie is even like that, just kinda looks like it would be to me.

m@ggot likes this.
  15. CPT HOOK

I'm going tonight and I CANNOT wait!

And Suicide, hopefully the movie doesn't end that way (I'll admit, there have been plenty of movies where I would go on the IMDB boards (RIP) to read interpretations of a movie's ending), but even if it does you should go anyway! Movies like this, It Follows, Green Room, You're Next, The Witch, etc are the type of movies that I and hopefully many genre fans love to see on the big screen. These are movies that keep my love for the genre alive, and it's important to support them if we want studios to keep taking chances on theatrical releases.

And if it does end ambiguously, come back here and we can discuss with spoiler tags! :)

16. CPT HOOK

For what it's worth, the movie does not have a vague or abrupt ending. It does cut to black, but it gets the point across. I've heard that from other people as well, but I think that it's because a lot of audiences are going to be frustrated by the movie as a whole, not necessarily the ending.

The movie isn't really what it sells itself to be. It's a contagion movie, there aren't any zombies or creatures in the woods that come at night. It reminded me a lot of Right At Your Door and an indie I saw at a festival last year called Here Alone. It's human drama about how people react when faced with death.

I can't say I loved the movie, but I found it interesting. I'm glad I saw it. Pretty ballsy move for A24 to give this such a wide release. Most of the audience in the theater were teenagers who were probably expecting The Walking Dead, and they looked pretty upset leaving the theater. Definitely not for the mainstream.

chancetx, Natas and zbinks like this.
  17. Natas

I completely agree with you CPT. I'm glad I saw it but I was borderline disappointed. It was a beautifully shot film, overall extremely well made. But after 90 mins, it was very uneventful. Not for the mainstream audience at all.

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I went to this last night and thought it was excellent, a breath of fresh air amongst all the other derivative material that has flood the multiplexes this time of the year. For those saying it was uneventful, did we see different movies? Maybe it's because I didn't watch any of the trailers or read up anything about it prior to seeing it, because it sounds like it's being advertised as an action thriller when it's a dramatic thriller. But then again I don't trust any trailer these days to inform any pre-conceived opinions of movies because they are all designed to sell you the seat and not the movie. I found It Comes at Night constantly engaging in it's story of human survival, instincts, family, and trust. Performances were all superb and each character's thought processes for reasoning of survival were believable and palpable, tension was constant and consistent, and it delivered a well-structured and rewarding story for engaged audiences. Plus it looks beautiful and even plays with some interesting framing devices in the final act to amplify the emotions and tension. I can highly recommend checking this one out in theatres.

zbinks, Hatchetwarrior and Natas like this.
  19. Natas

I found it EXTREMELY uneventful. I agree the performances were great, everything was believable and palpable. I just did not feel the same tension you did. There was much to appreciate about It Comes at Night....... the cinematography especially I thought was terrific. But I did not feel as engaged as you. After the hour+ mark I was really waiting for something more to happen.

the only real sequence worth mentioning is when the two men left in the truck to go get his wife, child, and animals and run into the two guys shooting at them......

aside from that sequence, it was reeeeeally uneventful in my eyes.

I even dug the fact they did not really explain what was going on in the outside world. I just wish something......anything...... would have happened to at least suggest a couple of different theories

A breath of fresh air? I'll agree with that. But if video stores still existed....... you'd locate this in the drama section.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Hatchetwarrior

I'm going to piggy back off what Morallysound said because I thought this was fantastic. For anyone heading into this expecting an explosive, viral/infection film in vein of "28 Days Later" or "Cabin Fever" you're going to be let down big time. I personally find it strange that so many people went into this expecting high action, because I watched the teaser and the first full trailer ( I skipped the second one because I thought too much info would spoil the experience) and I didn't get that vibe at all.

I think what makes this work is not just the fantastic acting, directing and cinematography, but the writer/director's choice to make the scope of the film small within a much larger universe. Far too many horror films today, whether it is big budget or indie, heavily rely on jump scares and exposition dialogue in order to create "tension". But here the "fear of the unknown" element is used perfectly. We only know what the characters know: There was a mass infection that spread causing survivors to take refuge in isolated areas. The not knowing where or why the infection started really adds to the paranoia and when shit hits the fan around the half way mark, it makes for a beautifully tense and dramatic turn of events.

MorallySound and Natas like this.