Invisible Man (reboot - Blumhouse) !

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Jan 28, 2019.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Should have went this route to begin with.

bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3543599/blumhouse-reviving-universal-monsters-starting-leigh-whannells-invisible-man

After the disastrous reboot of The Mummy, Variety reports that Universal Pictures is recalibrating the Universal Monsters franchise by handing the keys to Blumhouse, known for budget-friendly hits such as The Purge, Happy Death Day, Split, Glass, Paranormal Activity and many others. The first of what could be many projects will be The Invisible Man, which will be helmed by horror veteran Leigh Whannell, co-creator of both the Saw and Insidious franchises, and director of last year’s excellent Upgrade as well as Blumhouse’sInsidious: Chapter 3.

The move is part of a fresh strategy for the Universal monsters properties, bringing creative directors with distinctive visions to the classic characters, adds the site.

Johnny Depp was previously attached to The Invisible Man, but he will not appear in this film. Sources tell the mag that he still may be featured in another one of the monster movie projects in development.

“Throughout cinematic history, Universal’s classic monsters have been reinvented through the prism of each new filmmaker who brought these characters to life,” said Peter Cramer, Universal’s president of production. “We are excited to take a more individualized approach for their return to screen, shepherded by creators who have stories they are passionate to tell with them.”

The site also notes that the hiring Whannell does not necessarily mean this will be the next monster movie to go into production, as other pitches are also coming together revolving around different characters. Before the plug was pulled on the “Dark Universe”, Universal had planned reboots of The Creature From the Black Lagoon, The Bride of Frankenstein, among others. It’s unclear if they’ll re-reboot Dracula, The Wolfman or even The Mummy.

The talent previously attached to various monster roles like Depp, Javier Bardem, Tom Cruise, and Russell Crowe still have the option to appear in the movies after a filmmaker with a new vision is brought on.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Meh. I'm kind of at the mindset where we should just leave the Universal Monsters series as the products-of-the-time that they are. To horror fans, this is pretty much like those repetition experiments where the mouse keeps going for the cheese, but how many electric shocks does it take for the mouse to stop. So this gets a big fat YAWN from me.

I might be interested to see Leigh Whannell take the Invisible Man concept and make it his own ala Hollow Man, similar to what Del Toro did with The Shape Of Water.

No matter how good or bad it is, it will probably make a shit ton of money anyway. For me, this type of movie just screams "wait for HBO" anymore (although with subscription services like A-List or MoviePass, I guess "waiting for HBO" isn't much of a thing anymore?).

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

This will make a lot of money because of the people involved but I'm not really excited for it.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

The fact that it no longer stars Johnny Depp is a huge plus in my book, but I'm still not optimistic.

Workshed and Colin like this.
  5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Truer words have never been uttered. Depp is no longer the caliber of actor he was back in the mid to late 90's (his prime), and is now just a giant hack for hire.

Myron Breck likes this.