Into The Dark - Hulu / Blumhouse Monthly Anthology Horror

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Sep 16, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Hulu and Blumhouse have joined forces to bring us Into The Dark, a horror anthology series being released one episode per month, with each episode corresponding to that month's major holiday. Episodes are feature length, so we are essentially getting a new Blumhouse movie on Hulu every month.

Episode 1 "The Body" premieres October 5th. Directed by Paul Davis (Beware The Moon The American Werewolf doc). Halloween episode. On Halloween, a sophisticated hitman with a cynical view on modern society finds his work made more difficult when he has to transport a body in one night, but everyone is enamored by what they think is his killer costume. Runs 1hr 22mins.

Episode 2 "Flesh & Blood" premieres November 2nd. Directed by Patrick Lussier (My Bloody Valentine 3D, Drive Angry). Thanksgiving episode. Set on the eve of Thanksgiving a year after her mother’s death, Kimberly begins to suspect that she is in danger in the home, but she can’t leave and doesn’t know who she can trust. Runs 1hr 34mins.

2. CPT HOOK

Episode 2 (Flesh & Blood) premiered yesterday, so I watched it last night. It was fair. It's a very basic and relatively tame thriller, basically an agoraphobic teenager who suspects her father might be a serial killer, but is unable to leave the house to escape him. The entire movie takes place at the house. It's pretty thin on plot, and there's really not enough here to fill a full 90-minutes. It did manage to hold my interest though. Kind of felt like a made-for-TV version of Disturbia, maybe something that would air on Lifetime on a Saturday night. This was billed as their Thanksgiving episode, but references to the holiday are fleeting and barely in there.

I had also viewed episode 1 (The Body) last month, but since it was during October I posted my thoughts in the October Horror Movie thread. That one involved a hitman trying to dispose of a body on Halloween night, and since everyone is all dressed up for the holiday he is able to drag a body through the streets inconspicuously. When a group of friends (including Ash Vs Evil Dead's Ray Santiago) discover that it's a real body, he has to tie up loose ends and dispose of them as well. I think most horror fans will probably prefer this episode, as it's bloodier and moves at a faster-pace. I found it a bit pretentious and annoying, and like Flesh & Blood there really wasn't enough here to fill a feature-length running time.

The next episode premieres on December 7th, this time a Christmas themed movie titled Pooka! from director Nacho Vigalondo (Timecrimes, Colossal, Open Windows).

3. CPT HOOK

Nacho Vigalondo's Christmas movie Pooka! is now available on Hulu:

[​IMG]

Turns out we are getting two Blumhouse Into The Dark movies this month, as they want the January episode available in time for New Year's.

January's episode will premiere on December 28th, titled New Year New You from director Sophia Takal (Always Shine). Runs 85 minutes and stars Suki Waterhouse (Assassination Nation).

Steel76, Natas and fceurich39 like this.
  4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Looking forward to this for sure.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

Unfortunately, I can't say that I liked Pooka! at all. Which is a shame, as I'm all about the Christmas horror. If the other movies in this series didn't have enough there to fill 90-minutes, this one barely has enough to fill 10-minutes.

I thought it was extremely boring for the most part, with an incredibly weak and underdeveloped lead character. Then it ends with a cliched twist ending that basically serves as a giant middle finger to the audience. It's like, by the way, the joke's on you, because we've just wasted your time.

This is easily the weakest of the Into The Dark films by far.

Natas likes this.
  6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Bummer. Appreciate the heads up though!

7. CPT HOOK

The Valentine's Day episode Down is now available.

I watched it earlier tonight, and even though the horror / thriller aspect is incredibly basic, it's still probably the most entertaining episode of the series so far. You wouldn't even know there's a horror aspect to it until around the halfway point, but the two leads have great chemistry so it was never boring. It's basically an inferior version of a movie from about ten years ago, but to name the movie would be a huge spoiler. But that movie is so much fun that inferior here is still pretty darn good. I certainly had fun. Plus, this series finally showed some skin for Valentine's Day, which seems appropriate. I'd recommend this one, especially if you're in the mood for a breezy little thriller.

I also watched New Year New You last month, which was also fairly entertaining but not great. It's derivative of the director's previous movie Always Shine, but this one is a little more energetic than that. Still, she definitely needs some new material, as she seems to have major issues with other women who are more successful than her. We get it, find a new subject. I seem to recall a lot of people here hating Tragedy Girls because of the social media obsessed characters, so if that is the case, steer clear of this one.

8. CPT HOOK

The next Into The Dark movie is released on March 1st.

This time it's Treehouse, directed by James Roday (star of USA network's Psych).

9. CPT HOOK

Treehouse was terrible. Skip that one.

April's movie I'm Just Fucking With You was one of the better ones. Directed by Adam Mason (Broken, The Devil's Chair).

fceurich39 likes this.
  10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Will probably swing by Walmart tomorrow to see if they have Seven in heaven DVD.

11. CPT HOOK

All That We Destroy is a cool premise that should have been saved for a better movie instead of a cheapie direct-to-streaming flick. Cool idea, poor execution.

They Come Knocking is perhaps the first entry that genuinely tries to scare, but the scares are too few and far between. This one is way too bogged down in uninteresting family drama.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

So, based purely on this thread, it seems like there really isn't any reason to try and check these out.

13. CPT HOOK

Not really, but if you do I would recommend Down and I'm Just Fucking With You.

Flesh & Blood starred Diana Silvers, who seems to be on the rise between Booksmart and Ma back-to-back last month. So if you liked her in those movies, it's worth checking out.

Myron Breck likes this.
  14. CPT HOOK

Two more Into The Dark entries:

July's movie Culture Shock: Not very good. The less said the better. It shifts gears every 30 minutes, so it's tonally three different movies. None of them are especially interesting. There was a movie a few years ago called Undocumented that tackles a similar plot, only that movie is effective and incredibly underrated. This one is just blah.

School Spirit (which premiered on Friday) is a bit more fun. There's no heavy message or originality here, this one is just a straight-up teen slasher movie. A group of teens in Saturday detention being picked off by a masked killer. I love slashers, and I thought this was a fairly decent one. There's maybe a little bit of a lull in the middle, but it pays off with an outrageous killer reveal set to K-Ci & JoJo's "All My Life". Recommended for the slasher movie fans.

September's entry Pure ends the first year of Blumhouse / Hulu's Into The Dark movies. However, Blumhouse has greenlit a second year, so we will continue to get these monthly horror movies from October 2019 - September 2020.

15. CPT HOOK

So, I watched Pure, which concludes the first year of Blumhouse's Into The Dark movies, and it was a heavy-handed bore.

Now that the first year is over, my ranking of the movies so far would be:
    1.) I'm Just Fucking With You
    2.) Down
    3.) School Spirit
    4.) Flesh & Blood
    5.) New Year, New You
    6.) The Body
    7.) All That We Destroy
    8.) They Come Knocking
    9.) Pure
    10.) Culture Shock
    11.) Treehouse
    12.) Pooka!

16. CPT HOOK

Trailer for October's new entry (the season 2 premiere) looks pretty fun!

Uncanny Annie premieres on HULU on October 4th.

Add this to the Sundance midnights Little Monsters from NEON and Wounds from Annapurna, both debuting on HULU in October, I think HULU's October line-up is WAY more interesting than NetFlix's this year!