In Search of Darkness: The Definitive 80's Horror Documentary

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Oct 2, 2019.

1. sinister

sinister Active Member

Was a bit disappointed in this, should have called it "The Definitive 80's US Horror Documentary" and even then there would be a few obvious omissions. I know it's all subjective, but seriously... no Italian horror? No Argento, Fulci, Deodato, Bava? And it's not like they're unaware of the iconic Italian horror flicks, right from the start in the 80's poster montage they zoomed in right next to Inferno and Cannibal Holocaust, yet didn't actually cover them or any other Italian movie. Seems a bit strange.

And the covering of multiple inferior 80's sequels when the original and best version was released in the 70's and so wasn't covered became a little annoying too. I can see why they restricted it to the 80's cause that's when everyone was getting into this stuff on video and when it really took off, but a lot of classic 70's horror movies were being seen by many for the first time on video in the 80's so maybe "The first decade of video horror" would have been a better focus.

I think they mentioned only 1 or 2 movies I hadn't heard of at all and their coverage of the rest didn't make me want to see any of those I hadn't already seen, so a little disappointing that way too... was really hoping to pick up a few movie titles to check out along the way.

Didn't feel like I learned much if anything from the interviews either, some were very good and interesting but others became a bit repetitive by the 2-3 hour point and by 3-4 hours in I was really losing interest. The extreme length itself wasn't really a problem (I'd just watched an amazing 4 hour documentary interview before this one and hadn't been bored for a second - not horror related but mostly 70's + 80's computer technical nostalgia stuff) but they *really* needed a wider focus of movies and interviewees to keep this interesting for so long.

Overall 6/10 , worth a watch but glad I didn't pay $60 for it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Got my DVD copy today.

3. sinister

sinister Active Member

Maybe the problem was just that their somewhat limited pool of interviewees didn't have anything to say about Italian horror movies so they decided not to cover them at all.

Will be interesting to see what some of you guys think once you've watched it.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Finally watched this. My only complaint is with the term "Definitive Documentary." It isn't even close. I feel this would be a terrific introduction to horror fans that weren't alive in the '80's. There are some terrific people involved, such as Carpenter, Crampton, Bradley and some which are pointless imo (Slipknot singer). I'll never watch the documentary again and am frustrated that I spent $60 on it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet.
    But doesn't it feel like, (with all the documentaries, commentary tracks, magazines, etc. during the last 30+ years), that we already know everything worth knowing about these movies?
    Sure, great for the newcomers, but for the rest of us?

loutoad23 likes this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I haven't watched it yet either as the Elvira Edition has been delayed. I made sure to download it though so I've at least got that.

But it seems to me a documentary where cast and crew comment on other films and filmmakers at the time could be interesting; if they're willing to admit as much. However there's probably a mix of ego, legal and professional courtesy to consider when making such statements. But to hear Carpenter expound on Day of the Dead or Stuart Gordon on The Thing or Crampton on Quigley and vice versa could be fun. They're all getting to that age and the point in their careers where it's like, "Come on. Tell us what you really think..."

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

chancetx likes this.
  8. sade

sade Active Member

It was pleasant although it felt that they could have gone with 4-5 extra hours and still only parts of the decade would have been covered.

9. Katatonia

chancetx likes this.
  10. Katatonia

I received my "Elvira" set in the mail earlier today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nicely packed in a long box with air pockets for protection. The rolled poster is sealed in plastic, the Blu-ray was factory sealed, and the "80's Horror" pin + card came in a small ziplock bag. The poster card was included separate in the box.

The Blu-ray is indeed factory pressed (not a BD-R)

chancetx, buck135 and X-human like this.
  11. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

That's good news, Katatonia. I haven't gotten tracking yet for my replacements from the original campaign but I'm sure they're overwhelmed having to replace pretty much every order.

Katatonia likes this.
  12. Katatonia

Here's a review:

13. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

There's your idea for a follow up: In Search of Darkness: The European Invasion

Steel76 likes this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Got this today in the mail at noon (instead of, you know, before the flash sale started):
    "It's alive!" again: https://80shorrordoc.com/pages/elvira

15. sinister

sinister Active Member