Import Blu-Ray Info & Deals

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Reverenddave, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

The exchange rate has gotten much better, and there have been some great deals at international stores. So this thread will discuss import discs that are compatible with US players. And good places to buy them cheap.

Here's some stuff I've bought lately:

THE HILLS HAVE EYES - Got the UK blu-ray at BlahDVD for £13.83 shipped (around $20). It plays in my PS3 (including the extras).

LIFE ON MARS: SEASON 1 & 2 - Got both UK blu-rays at BlahDVD for £29.86 shipped (around $44). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

THE TUDORS: SEASON 1 & 2 - Got the UK blu-ray box set at AmazonUK for £29.14 shipped (around $43 - they remove VAT). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras).

ALL THE BOYS LOVE MANDY LANE - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for £13.83 shipped (around $20). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

SHROOMS - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for £11.49 shipped (around $17). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

I STILL KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for £12.91 shipped (around $19). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras).

THIRTEEN GHOSTS - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for £11.45 shipped (around $17). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras).

ALMOST FAMOUS - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for £10.37 shipped (around $15). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras). This is the 161 minute "Extended Edition".

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Boys from Brazil UK Blu-ray is region-free and looks superb! A million times better than the old letterbox DVD.

I also have these two UK Blu-ray imports on order:

Sophie Scholl - the DVDBeaver review forced me to buy this!

Downfall - ditto!

3. mlock

mlock Member

Thanks guys! Great to know that my PS3 will play certain import titles including the extras should the need arise.:)

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Nice. I've always been annoyed the second Hills Have Eyes was the only one available on blu. I might have to pick that up now.

5. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Got some new UK blu-rays:

BLACK SHEEP - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this it's £13 shipped (around $18). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

THE FOG (1980) - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for £13.95 shipped (around $20). Plays on my PS3 (there are no extras).

6. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Got one more UK blu-ray:

GUARD POST (aka G.P. 506) - Got the UK blu-ray at BlahDVD for £10.95 shipped (around $15). It plays in my PS3 (extras don't work, except the trailer for Chocolate).

7. mlock

mlock Member

I read that the transfer on Escape From NY and They Live are both not very good. Too bad! I would have jumped on those!

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've also heard they're both just upconverted DVD transfers, or sourced from really poor transfers.

9. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

Terminator 2: Judgment Day [Premium Edition] (Japan Import Blu-ray)

Just snagged this, fantastic set! Has both versions of the film, and is Region Free.

[​IMG]

-UJ

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

Where you get T2 and how much?

I have been eyeballing the German HD-DVD import but if the blu is a similar price, I'll bite on it. Can't bring myself to get the domestic one.

11. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

www.amazon.co.jp

Japan Amazon has them, they're roughly $70 plus shipping.

I got mine through a guy in Canada who ordered 2 by mistake and sold me one for $75 (basically his money back). Great set!

-Jay

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Christ $70? I'll just wait until it gets released here. The theatrical cut blu-ray I got for like 8 bucks will tide me over until then.

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

cdjapn has it for $52; not sure on shipping charges.

But for that price I'll skip it and get the German HD-DVD Steelbook import. I can get that for around $30-$35 on ebay.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah I can basically hold off on a lot of these and wait for them to get released stateside and not spend nearly as much money, unless its like an uncut edition of Kill Bill or something, because with the Weinsteins who knows when that will ever be released.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm still seriously tempted to grab the UK blu-ray of The Goonies since it has yet to be announced for North America.

~Matt

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Meh, it's Warner Bros., I'd say hold off. Usually their UK releases are a pretty reliable sign of things to come in the US. The first four Batman films are a perfect example.

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

It's coming this year. Digital Bits I believe mentioned it in their rumour mill, which 99% of the time is right. The Batman films have already been announced, and Goonies and Gremlins are supposed to be announced sometime soon.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's what I keep telling myself everytime I check out Amazon UK. But yeah that's weird. Wonder why they get them first? I caved and bought the DVD of An American in Paris back in September and what do you know? It was just announced a couple weeks ago that it's coming out March 30th on blu-ray. Fuck.

Sweet. I'm gonna hold off then. Blu-ray.com put up a review of the UK disc and it apparently has really good A/V.

~Matt

19. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

THE COMPANY OF WOLVES is now £11.76 shipped at AmazonUK (about $17.50). Plays in my US PS3.

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

Well, looks like I'll be holding off on the T2 HD-DVD as well. Anyone see this:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2382

I probably would get the 'endo skull edition', as it really is one of my favorite action flicks.