I need some info on The Slayer (1982)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by snowbeast323, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

I take it that was the remastered upload we are talking about? Did you change the aspect ratio? That squashy widescreen would have driven me insane.

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

It's all the same file 720 MP4 1.25GB and like I said it looks like digital filtered poop.

3. Stige

Stige Active Member

I have the vipco....is this even worth bothering with?
    I also saw demented there and was tempted, bought the video but it goes tracking crazy ever time I use it, FINALLY managed to use a dvd burner to make a halfway decent version but it still stinks.

4. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Isbit worth bothering with? Probably not unless you watch it on the small Youtube screen or your smartphone. Anything larger and it all gets abit smudgy.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Watched this the other night and thought it was good but the ending is a real letdown. If they wanted to shock the viewer then fine but I had no idea what I was looking at and why it was there. Plus the two minute scene afterwards only further confused me.

Was the whole movie a dream/premonition or was that last bit a flashback?

I would have preferred a bit more screen time with the killer. It looked interesting and I think it's a shame we never really saw it throughout the film. I'm also surprised this hasn't had a proper release yet. I'd sit though it again with a decent transfer.

6. Filmboychris

Filmboychris New Member

Digital makeover of The Slayer

Hi room.

This is an interesting forum, and I am -"That guy" who uploaded the digitally tweaked version of the film - The Slayer - to YouTube that is getting such a slagging off in here.

Firstly, I am just a fan of the film. I'm not a qualified film restorer, just a guy with a bit of video editing software and the VIPCO dvd to play with.
    I'd love a pristine film master of this on dvd one day, but until that happens, if ever, I simply wanted to make a version that looked better on my home cinema set up than the existing dvd.

Now I know you can't really make a silk purse from a sow's ear as they say, and I can't add to something if it isn't already there. But the upload I put on YouTube was limited by factors like file size and compression tools, and I can appreciate that the 1.2Gb file on there is too compressed to look good when magnified.
    My original file was better ( it was much larger in size,) and it looked acceptable on my 2 metre screen at home. It certainly wasn't "digitally filtered poop" as someone memorably described it on here.

Anyway. Now we move on to attempt number two at improving this DVD.

This time I've taken on board people's comments and tackled it differently.
    My new file has been made as follows:

1/ DVD rip to MP4 file at 720 x 576
    2/ Picture adjusted in Video Studio 6 Pro for boosting colour and contrast whilst reducing brightness. Picture now looks a lot darker which has helped to remove uneven nature of the image from the original DVD. Saved again as MP4 - 720x576.
    3/ File put through VirtualDub Spot Remover software to remove film dirt and emulsion specks.
    4/ File loaded into Video Studio 6 Pro and manually gone through frame by frame to digitally paint out any remaining faults not captured by Spot Remover. Saved as MP4 file 720x576.
    5/ File loaded into Video Studio 6 Pro and cropped top and bottom to create widescreen frame without stretching. This works fine for the daylight scenes of the film. For the night ones, where the right hand of the picture is brighter than the rest, I have cropped a little of that off too, but with minimal stretching effect. A compromise but this was necessary.

This new file is MP4 - 720x576 and is about 5.0Gb.

Tested on a 2 metre screen, it looks tons better than the original DVD.
    Of course the nit-pickers will see evidence of small areas of picture where the processing is noticeable, but this is now presentable and a very pleasing makeover.

Unfortunately, I can no longer upload files longer than 10 minutes on You Tube, but I will post a small clip of this new version there soon and see the reactions. If people like it I will see about putting it on a DVD if anyone is interested.

Chris

7. Filmboychris

Filmboychris New Member

Hi.

I would disagree with Eddy and Dobby on here.
    I have filtered the German DVD of The Slayer, which is a bit better looking than the UK one, and run a despot programme followed by adjustment of the contrast, brightness and colour, and reframed it to fit 16:9 without stretching, and kept it all at 720x576 to produce a very nice 4.5Gb makeover copy that looks 20 times better than the original .
    Yes it is much darker, because I had to get rid of the over-exposed right hand side of the frame, and the contrast is very strong now, but the image is much more acceptable now than the washed out version we all know.
    The film looks so much cleaner and vibrant now, with all the specks and damage removed, and on my own ripped DVD it now plays on HD tv monitors or a 2 metre screen from a HD projector, and looks great, with very few scenes of visible artifacts or pixellation.
    So it is possible to filter out a poor VHS master file on DVD and make it look better.
    Unfortunately, I can't put a 4.5Gb file on Youtube as they will condense it anyway, and anyone trying to download that will then see a poor copy of my efforts.
    Anyone wanting a dvd of my new version needs to contact me.

Chris Walker