I need some info on The Slayer (1982)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by snowbeast323, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

The last few 80s movies of theirs i have bought have been pretty DNR free. The Funhouse and The Deadly Blessing plus anything is better than Vipco!!

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah I never understood the mentality of companies ripping VHS to DVD. Kind of defeats the purpose and turns digital formats into a gimmicky joke.

3. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

Despite being involved in the Stepfather and Prom Night reboots, Cardone still has directed some of my favorites. The ending to me proved to be the playout of the little girls traumatic nightmares in which she had premonitions of death . I think the awesome creature was kept brief because it was only a representation in her mind.

4. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

In the UK Vipco were by far the worst offenders. As already mentioned The Slayer looked aweful but then there was their release of The Boogeyman, The Burning, Pranks and the least said about their pathetic release of The Toolbox Murders the better!! Alot of them were also cut to shreads with titles like Cannibal Ferox/Holocaust and House on the Edge Of The Park missing minutes of footage. At that time these were full price releases too as it was only later when Vipco brought out their Screamtime range that you could pick up for around five quid. That said though they did introduce me to alot of movies I couldnt see anywhere else even if as soon as I started importing movies off the net these were left redundant.

5. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Just had a look on Youtube for The Slayer and there is what is called a remastered version on there. It does look very clear and much better than the Vipco DVD. The only problem is that it is squeezed to make it look widescreen when it isnt so the image is squashed. Shame as its the best i have seen the film. Im watching this on a smart phone so on the full desktop version can you change the aspect ratio?

6. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

This was one of those "nasties" that I wanted to see for ages, partially due to Justin Kerswell's mostly positive review on his Hysteria Lives site. I was pretty disappointed though.

A decent location with some great kills (though they're few and far between). A laughable twist ending and while I do love a horror film that tries to keep the killer in the shadows for most of it (Jaws, Nightmare on Elm Street pt 1, etc), the killer makes a less than spectacular appearance during the last 2 minutes of the film for a total of 3 seconds of screen time lol.

I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

7. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

The video file is 1.25 GB and after grabbing the movie off youtube it's a disaster. All they did was run digital filtering through the movie. The image is very pixelized and extremely blocky ugly even the lip syncing is off. I used keepvid to grab the movie and it's awful looking. The reason it looks so good on youtube is cause it condensed into a tiny viewing box. Anyway the image sucks lots of ghosting effects when people or objects move. Best option is just to rip the movie from the original VHS masters that were released in the 80's. As far this movie ever getting an official DVD release I doubt it will ever happen. Anyone know who owns the right to this film???

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Lucky 13 was supposed to release a US DVD of this in the early 2000s, back when they released Slaughterhouse, Evil Laugh, etc.

Never ended up happening though.

I have to agree with rhett and Kat though. The gore scenes are fantastic, but unfortunately there's only 3 or 4 scenes of that. The rest is kind of a bore.

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

The fantastic dark and stormy atmosphere keeps it from being boring IMO. The movie is creepy and the unseen killer in the shadows was great. Unlike today's (no talent daddies money paid my film school) digital dork filmmakers this was actually shot on 32mm film.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, shooting on film is expensive, so if you were going to make a movie back then, you had to take it seriously. Which is why '80s films in general are so far above and beyond what's being made today.

Now someone can buy a cheap digital camera, shoot something in their backyard with a group of friends, and get it distributed. Which is great for them, but bad for those who end up watching it. The horror market is currently way over-saturated with this stuff. There's a difference between "indie" and "home movie".

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I probably just need to sit down and watch the film again some dark night. I haven't watched the Vipco DVD in a while... I just wish there was a better transfer of it out there.

12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

The thing that always wins me over with the Slayer is it was filmed during the heyday of slasher movies. I know it's not a masterpiece I am not denying that at all. I agree with the directors having to take making a film seriously back in the day. That is why there is so many awesome horror films made in the 80's. All we got now is a bunch of rich geeky dorks running around with a digital camera.

Not sure if you read my previous comment from earlier today. I have the better transfer but it's a digitally filtered hot mess. :evil:

13. Katatonia

I read it, but it sounds like it's not worth messing with if it has so many problems.

14. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Well it's only noticeable if your a quality freak like me. Still i'm sure most people wouldn't pay the digital effects any attention. if you decided to grab it off youtube just use keepvid. there is no program to download it's just a tiny website. The file is about 1.25GB so you can rip it to DVDr easily. Also the transfer blows away the vipico release but it's still a mess.

15. Katatonia

Is it this link? Yeah, I can easily see the problems just by playing it for a couple of minutes.

I just use a free browser plugin to download YouTube videos, one click simplicity.

16. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah that's it like I said a digital mess filtering doesn't work or fix shit. :lol:

17. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

The guy who uploaded that remastered Slayer on Youtube has said he is doing it again, this time in HD and matting of the top and bottom for widescreen instead of that fake widescreen look he used before. Will have to wait and see if its any better. Would love to get a really good copy of this in DVD or BD(which I doubt!!). Love this movie. Surely one day I can toss out my Vipco disc.

18. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah and yes I know he is giving it another shot. However you can not take a VHS rip and digitally filter it to HD. Doesn't matter it will still be a big freaking digital mess. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: <----- X infinity smileys

19. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Oh yes. Only way would be to go back to the original 35mm or similar. Itll look ok for Youtube and nicer than the Vipco DVD but far from definitive. He also cropped the far right of the frame to eliminate some fading which isnt ideal. Just out of interest i take it the Vipco release was open matte(the credits would indicate it was)as i have always matted it off. I always thought the compositions looked better that way.

20. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I use the FreeMake Video Downloader and grabbed the 720p mp4 file off of youtube. It plays great on my Samsung Bluray via USB stick.