Hostel 1 & 2 Blu ray from Mill Creek Entertainment, anybody purchased?

Discussion in 'General' started by hots4, Oct 12, 2012.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'm from the UK and the hostel blu we have is a shit bare bones release (which i have), i noticed on a board today that mill creek have just released a double feature edition, my question is then to you guys, is it any good, has anybody got it? if you have can you confirm what extra's are on there, picture quality and any other info you think would be helpful, i'm interested in purchasing but don't want to if it's not worth it. thanks in advance.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Didn't purchase but:

Specs:

Hostel (Unrated Director's Cut)

2.35:1 aspect ratio
    English 5.1 DTS-MA
    English subtitles

Hostel Part II (Unrated Director's Cut)

2.35:1 aspect ratio
    English 5.1 DTS-MA
    French 5.1 audio
    English subtitles

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the Mill Creek disc, but according to blu-ray.com it is both movies on one dual-layered blu-ray disc. The separate releases by Sony were each on a dual-layer blu-ray disc. So I have to assume that the films are horribly compressed, or that they lose the extras.

So I would suggest going with the separate releases from Sony. I don't own the sequel on blu-ray (I have it on DVD), but I do own the blu-ray of the first film and it is loaded with extras.

According to blu-ray.com, the first film is region free, while the sequel is region A locked.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

thanks for those specs baggio, i saw those on amazon.com but i know they have a tendacy to get the spec wrong on discs.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

To tell the truth hots4, that's where I got them. There and at Blu-Ray.com I figured that's two places that said it, there's a good chance that it is correct. Especially from blu-ray.com.

6. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

The sequel is loaded as well

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I picked up the disc from Walmart ($5) the other day. Haven't watched it yet though.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I found both of these at Fry's Electronics for only $5.00 each so I couldn't pass them up. If part 3 comes out on the cheap I'll pass as I didn't care for that one at all.

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Could you let me know when you have viewed the disc, what the quality is like and if there are any of the extra's from the previous releases. Thanks

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

This release makes no sense to me. The old BD's are still everywhere and already 75-90% as cheap, why does this even exist? Maybe I just live in a Hostel friendly town, but I always see the BD's at all stores. Even Best Buy who doesn't carry most things has them!

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The only reason I could see anyone buying this release is because the Sony bd of "Hostel 2" is region A locked. In my opinion, the Sony blu-rays look great, have a ton of extras and are cheap.

12. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

There's no extras. I'll throw the disc in later and see what it looks like. I plan on keeping my DVDs so the lack of extras doesn't bother me.

13. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Yeah, I'm confused too. I have the Sony releases and got them for under $10 each a year or so ago.

14. CPT HOOK

I watched the first on blu-ray again the other night.

I never really noticed this before, but how does Paxton realize that the guy at the end was involved? He is involved, and we as the viewer know that, but I don't recall anything in the film that would indicate to Paxton that he was. Unless maybe I missed something, which is entirely possible.

Also watched the DVD of Part II, which is a superior film in about every possible way. The DVD is pretty stacked with extras, so I imagine the Sony blu-ray has all that and then some.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

He met that dude on the train on the way to the Hostel, then either saw him there or saw the tattoo all the members had on him (been a bit since I watched it), so you just missed it.

The Sorny BD of part 2 has all the extras the dvd does, which is a shitload, but nothing new or exclusive to it. Same with part 1, which was nice to able to sell the dvds when I upgraded em.

16. CPT HOOK

They do meet the guy on the train, then again at the club, but there's really nothing to indicate to Paxton that he was involved. He is shown torturing Josh, but Paxton isn't present.

Next time we see him is at the end of the film, when Paxton kills him. But he heard the guy's voice on the train and recognized it from earlier, so he didn't see the guy's tattoo.

I guess it was just a hunch, but it seems pretty extreme for him to kill the guy on a hunch?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  17. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Actually, Paxton does know he killed Josh. When they're dragging him down the hall and he's going past all of the rooms, he sees "Edward Saladhands" operating on Josh's corpse.

18. CPT HOOK

Ah, thanks. Must have missed that.