Horror at Popeye's Chicken over new sandwich

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Nov 13, 2019.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I haven't had a hot dog in ages. I did love them when I was a kid. But when Jay Leno called them mystery meat and I started looking into them, I stopped. But I want to try out those veggie hot dogs.

I tried one of those Impossible Burgers and it was good. But I like Boca Burgers too. That Johnny Rocket's place stopped making the Boca Burger I think but you can make it the exact same way at home.

The Impossible Burger doesn't taste exactly like meat though I think. I haven't had meat in so long. I remember the smell of meat but the taste not so much.

This is actually the first time I've heard of fights in restaurants. Besides Chef Ramsay. But he doesn't really fight. There are a few episodes where the restaurant staff get into fights around Chef Ramsay.

Also, when I was a kid, I heard of food fights in the school cafeteria but I always missed those. And I didn't understand why people would fight with food when some people don't even have food or water.

There is of course the classic Goonies scene where they want to kill each other over the pepperoni pizza.

When I would go to Popeyes it was just for a chicken breast, biscuit, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, and cinnamon apple pie. It was pretty good if you find a location with fresh ingredients.

I had to look that up. Added to my movie list.

I remember Chick-fil-A in a mall as well. It wasn't that good to me either. And I don't remember it being busy or popular. I guess people don't cook much any more and just want simple fast food. Perhaps they marketed somewhere and it really caught on. Kind of like when Krispy Kreme donut locations were always packed.

I loved Arby's beef and cheddar. They need to come out with an Impossible roast beef substitute so I can get that again.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I have never done acid THANK GOD, because I know I live close that state in day to day. But I am an old cyberpunk and maybe what I was talking about went over some heads. It basically comes down to perceptions of reality: if your cat sleeps 20 hrs a day and then hangs out with you here for 4, subjectively where is his sense of "self" spending most of his time? Is his time spent with you his mind's reality, or is the sleep state since that is where his majority of the day spent (barring the meeting of his physical needs). So, replace the scenario with a person on the internet. Has his subconscious and his emotional reactions to his physical environs been usurped due to his majority of time being spent in cyberspace being barraged with content, much of which is incendiary and perceived threatening to cause it to be "clickbait". If you stay in that mode for 16 hours a day, what does that do to your perceptions of the space you spend less time in even though that space is your "physical reality"?
    There is much to be said for this happening, as many experts have advised people with low self esteem to get out of the instagram loop as it plays hell with vulnerable people and their sense of self worth. Now transmogrify that concept to exposure to conflict online, threatening information tailor customed to your specific demographic, and the fact that the brain is really just a muscle performing a task: an arm lifts as its job, the brain's job is to perceive and try to do is task in the easiest format possible.
    Subsequently, does the person who is pathologically "connected" feel that barrage of information as also co-occurring in his physical space, as the mind may find itself too exhausted to separate the two spaces emotionally: how many times have we lashed out at loved ones because we were already tired before we engaged with them? Same principle. Already people are embracing intolerance to conflicting opinions (unfriending in real time), as well as embracing majoritarianism in real life (like- clicking as validation in real time).
    So how much violence in these times are not caused by this, because people use information technology all over and are fine, but by certain users who spend too much time there for their minds to process the aggravation and behavior it sees and feels that stress as "slopping over" into their time in physical reality? It is just starting to feel like some kind of autolytic response but on a social scale.
    As someone who has only used his email address twice in his life, and has no social media accounts except for this one, it has been interesting to watch society change its precepts based on web life- internet pundits expected people to behave online like they did in real life, not forseeing that the opposite was to happen.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

It may not be acid.....but whatever it is, I want two.

baggio and Steel76 like this.
  6. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Thanks. Yeah, this was the stuff we used to discuss during the early years of rave when it was more of a cultural topic and less of a ketamine jamboree. I basically spent my early 20s hanging out n industrial bars listening to breakbeat and aggro and drinking what was then known as custom smart drinks and discussing William S Burroughs, periodicals like Boing Boing and Mondo 2000, the viability of nootropic drugs in intelligence enhancement, and viewing Mark Pauline Industrial Research Lab Films and the subliminal encodings of Chris and Cosey. So there was a lot of educated discussion transpiring regarding the unforeseen futures of possible technology, the possibility of wetware hackings, while sitting in the dark in a police unform shirt with a wrestlng singlet, 13 inch platform boots, and a prosthetic overlay over my left arm. Typical Wednesday night attire. And it is spooky how much society right now is reflecting the dystopian ideas that were being discussed after reading tomes such as High Rise by Ballard, the techno genderfuck classic Crygender, and even the music of bands like Sheep on Drugs (one of the funnest concerts I ever attended... the band thought of their audience as sheep on drugs so they brought their own applause tracks in case we were too stupid to notce the songs ending). It went from an era when Genitorturers concerts were shocking to the era of school bus drivers having multiple piercings. And these technological nightmares that we were bandying about have come true and we were in an era when you still needed quarters to phone. Intellectual hoodrats, we were.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  7. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

All it takes is a deep dive in underground culture that stays out of mainstream thought, and then you stay in it for 30 years as a Schopenhaurean dilettante. Henry James inferred that one needs to be simultaneously in society but yet outside of it in order to properly observe and analyze it. And that's my perfect spot. Also, reading books of all types is my drug of choice. About to do a deep dive into homonationalism and how it affects culture, the retrospective volume of the 2019 Whitney biennial, and following that with Proust's Remembrance of Things Past in the original Montcrief translation because I prefer the prose to be more reflective of the Belle Epoch rather than the newer translation. Just what I do waiting out this madness the world has succumbed to. Last time I checked, the planet itself was bipolar.

8. ImmortalSlasher

Funny. But yes.

I had enough red meat to last a lifetime. It always seemed to be Wendys, McDonalds, Arbys, Burger King, A&W, Sizzler, Ponderosa, Taco Bell, and tons of other fast food places that I can't remember. The cheeseburger I thought was the best American food to get. I also loved a good corned beef sandwich or reuben.

A combination of things made me stop eating red meat and I haven't looked back for years.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

God knows what they do to those meats at fast food places. Most likely full of preservatives, plus things like conred beef are processed. Not the types of meat people should really be eating, especially often.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Exactly. And if people saw what the so-called "meat" at places like Taco Bell looked like before they cook it, they probably wouldn't want to eat it.

I eat so little meat these days, that I could almost label myself a vegetarian. It's not unusual that I'll go a week or more without eating even a bite of meat now, and even when I do it's in small portions. I do know some people who eat almost exclusively meat...which I can hardly imagine.

ImmortalSlasher and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

My backgrounds European so I couldn't imagine not eating meat. I stick to home cooked meals though and avoid most fast food and processed meats.

12. ImmortalSlasher

Yeah, by often I was at fast food places at least 3 to 4 times a week perhaps more. When you are a kid and active you can get away with it. I guess kids these days don't because from what I heard some schools have cut gym class.

When I saw what people that worked at KFC were doing to the chickens, I stopped going there. I would get a chicken breast, biscuit, mashed potatoes, and cole slaw from them as well just like Popeyes. But if you are going to breed chickens just for food, the least you can do is treat them with respect.

I was never big on chicken mcnuggets or any of McDonalds chicken sandwiches. But a while back I saw a story about meat paste and that was enough to stop any sort of quick fried chicken sandwich or nugget.

It was when I saw a cow diagram that what I was eating really hit me.

cow diagram.jpg

I looked into pig and chicken as well. I would eat a lot of ham and cheese sandwiches. All that stopped. I'm slowing down on chicken. I want to try out the substitute artifical eggs soon. And fish is probably the last one if I stop that one.

Along with my old belief that the cheeseburger was classic American food. I also thought steak and potatoes was another one. I enjoyed a good beef stew as well.

As this is a horror forum, without spoiling it. I think one of the best moments in Doomsday is the bad guy's line at his party midway in the movie and what happens afterwards. That's a wild scene. Anyone who hasn't seen Doomsday yet should check it out. The scene was a complete surprise to me and I couldn't believe they went through with it. I thought he was joking.

And the Doomsday scene gave a whole new meaning to this scene in Halloween H20.

Katatonia likes this.