Hooray for the mom and pops!

Discussion in 'General' started by maybrick, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Cannibal Chris

Cannibal Chris New Member

A few weeks back I made it into one of the mom n pop shops I used to frequent as a kid, the owner ended up selling me a bunch of stuff, here's a pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Wow! That's a hell of a haul! Good for you! (but still kind of sad that the store now has that many fewer cool retro vids :( ) If you wanted to, I'm positive you could easily make an exceptionally profitable return on your investment. That copy of The Outing, for instance, is worth $999 DOLLARS!!!! :lol:

That seems like a pretty cool video store. You should posts some pictures of their selection for us. Or did you just wipe them out? :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  3. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Wow, yeah! Great haul!

4. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

Wow, Maybrick, Great Pictures and Great Topic!! I LOVE finding Video Stores that have such a Great Selection like this!! It makes me want to take a ride out there and check them out!! I do have a question for you regarding both Stores. Do they each have any VHS Tapes for Sale? Like a Big Section or maybe a Bin of Used VHS? If so, how much do they sale them for? Also, do they have a Big Section like that for Older 80'S Sex Comedies too? Thanks Again for this Post!!:)

5. maybrick

No tapes for sale except maybe a few exercise and hunting videos. But do you honestly think that if they did I would tell any of you before I snatched them up for myself? :lol:

I got the impression from the manager of Reel to Reel when I got a membership last week that they had absolutely no intention of selling what they had left. I enquired if what I was renting was available for sale and she said no.

6. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

What a moron that video store owner must be selling those videos. This is a prime example of why I don't feel sorry for mom & pop shops. Sitting on a gold mine and selling their tapes for shit money.

Anyway good score Cannibal Chris! :banana:

7. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

Cannibal Chris, that haul makes me wanna cry and barf...i would've summoned a backflip from my old, non-backflipping carcass if i walked out with that collection....congratulations.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

My local video store, Scarecrow Video, is in trouble. They are trying to get a $250,000 grant from Chase that would keep them in business. They have the biggest video library in the country (116,000 tapes, DVDs, laserdiscs, & Blu-rays) and even they aren't immune to the hurting economy and people settling for the ease of Netflix & Redbox. So if you want to help support a small business that is obsessed with the legacy of cinema, then head on over to https://www.missionsmallbusiness.com/, login with Facebook, and give a vote to Scarecrow Video in Seattle, WA. There are only 2 days left to vote! There are so many classic horror films I never would've seen for the first time without this store. I would hate for future horror fans in Washington to not be able to peruse shelves labelled "Cannibals", "Zombies", "Werewolves", "Stephen King", "L'il Bastards", "Godzilla", and "Stalkers" in the Psychotronic Room.

9. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I forgot how cool it was to see video covers facing outwards on a shelf. In a million years, I couldn't do that with all my VHS/DVDs.

10. Spit

Spit Active Member

Very cool score Chris. I used to love picking up old tapes when mom n pops went under, but its been a long time since I've had the opportunity. Congratz! :)

Why is The Outing worth so much money? I've never seen the film. Am I missing out on something amazing?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  11. maybrick

Nah. It's just an earlier reference I made in regards to seeing it for sale up on Amazon a week ago for $999. I was going to post a direct link to it but it appears to either have sold(?) or taken down. I do see that Cannibal Chris has posted many of these titles for sale on amazon as well so if you want them, you better act quick!

Correction: Here it is.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...sr=8-3&keywords=The+Outing+Vhs&condition=used

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012