Here’s Why the Suspiria Remake Is a Bad Idea, According to Argento

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Aug 25, 2016.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yes, it should be on Prime within a few months.

I've been waiting since October though, so I'm ready. I was just surprised the stores weren't carrying it, given some of the indie crap they carry. Apparently I have one of the only two copies in town!

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of not having subtitles when I watched this. Needless to say I enjoyed it enough where I plan to watch it again with subtitles (which I later found).

3. sinister

sinister Active Member

Got a version with sub-titles so finally got to watch this and it really did nothing for me at all.

It's as if they tried to make it "anti-suspiria" for the sake of being different... with the lackluster direction, extremely drab colour pallette and "meaningless background noise" soundtrack, the complete opposite of the original. That might be OK if those weren't the main things the original had going for it, so all we have left is an empty shell and the question "Why even call this 'Suspiria' ?". I'll give some credit for the "twist" and the ending, but I don't intend to ever watch this one again as I can't imagine a situation where I'd reach for this one on the shelf instead of the original.

x666x, Steel76 and wago70 like this.
  4. sinister

sinister Active Member

OK maybe that was a bit harsh, it's not a bad movie in itself, despite the 2.5 hour running time I never felt bored and it did have it's moments... but to me it's just not a re-make of Suspiria at all, it's some other movie. This is like re-making "Plains, Trains and Automobiles" without the jokes.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I think the boards were down when I watched this, and then I was too lazy to write a review, but I loved it. I thought it was better than Argento's film. The original has an incredible first 15 minutes, but then never measures up to that again. This one builds to an Act 6 finale that is, frankly, bat-shit insane. I thought it was wild.

2.5 hours is a bit much, and they probably could have trimmed Acts 3 & 4 a bit, but I was never bored. In fact, it felt much shorter. The first two acts build beautifully, and the final two pay off in spades. I liked that it didn't bind itself too much to the original, and in that regard I'd consider it one of the better remakes. I also like that is assumes you already know the secrets of the dance academy, so they play the witch card up front.

Big thumbs up from me. In fact, it probably would have made my top 10 of last year had it been available then. As for the cringe-inducing title of this thread, Argento is just mad they did it better than he did.

f.ramses, m@ggot and X-human like this.
  6. sinister

sinister Active Member

I know you're not even joking but THAT is just craaaazy talk. :D

x666x, wago70, Steel76 and 2 others like this.
  7. Vortex

Vortex Member

Wow, this thing was bland. It wants to think it's much deeper than it actually is. Delusions of arthouse grandeur at their worst. I can't believe I was excited to see this. Should've known better given some of the characters I've seen praising it, but I love witch-based horror. Mia Goth impressed me. That's it. Nothing else is remotely worthwhile.

x666x and Steel76 like this.
  8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

To me the remake and the original complement each other well. The original was a pretty fantastic audiovisual experience in some parts but that’s all it really had going for it since the story was pretty weak/minimal while the new one forgoes all the colored lights and loud music and just focuses on telling a good story. I’m reluctant to say one is better than the other but I think the fact that I re-watched the new one just a week or two after seeing it for the first time kind of says it all because it’s usually years between viewings of the original for me. The remake actually turned out exactly the way I had hoped it would turn out when I started hearing details about it months back.
    I used to occasionally re-watch just the first murder scene in Suspiria because it’s so well done and with the remake I found myself watching the opening credits over and over again like it was a music video last weekend. Kind of funny because I can only think of 3 movies I’ve done that with a small part of and 2 of those movies are Suspiria.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sadly it felt like a waste of time... :(

It started to get a little bit interesting, about 100 min into the movie, but sadly it all goes off the rails during the climax.
    Couldn't stop laughing at how stupid it became.

It felt like it tried way to hard to be artsy. Too much random stuff, just to make it look "interesting".
    Except for a few shots here and there, it didn't help that it mostly looked like a really dull and ugly TV-movie.

Sure, there were a few effective scenes in there, but I wish they belonged to a better movie.
    The only character I cared about, was the old doctor, played by Tilda.
    His backstory was more interesting than the school and the witches.
    And it was nice to see the cameo by Jessica Harper.

This is probably a love it or hate it film...

sinister likes this.
  10. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I honestly thought this was fantastic, and it might be my second favorite horror film of 2018 behind "Hereditary". Luca Guadagnino did a bang up job reimaging Susipira and really making this his own as opposed to just doing a watered down carbon copy of the original. The choice of cinematography was a bold step - as many have pointed out - by going with a muted, washed out gray look over the bright, colorful photogenic look of its predecessor. It's visuals really give off cold and distant feel, making me as the view an unwanted lurker in this hellish landscape. Thom Yorke's score was just as great as the hype behind it, featuring a variety of styles from classical piano, to 70's/80's synth, to Radiohead inspired tunes that really helped to cultivate the atmosphere.
    The casting is great as well, with Tilda Swinton knocking it out of the park in all three roles she portrayed, the Jessica Harper cameo was a nice touch - it didn't dawn on me that it was her until after the fact - and Dakota Johnson who is a real powerhouse, boy has my opinion of her changed, the girl really had a presences. The supporting cast here was great as well, with Mia Goth and Chole Grace Mortez shining in minor roles.
    My complaints with this one are minor, I do think certain scenes in the second half of the film could have been trimmed for brevity, and the interjections of 1977 Germany's hot button political climate could have been gutted since they didn't help to move the plot along, if any thing it only slowed it down. But I never found myself bored once.

I can definitely see why this won't be everyone's cup of tea. It's quite abstract and arthouse-y, and the ending is balls to the walls ridiculous in a lot of ways - but I do like the "twist" in the final act - but I can say it is worth a look because at the very least this one is completely different from anything you will watch from 2018, horror or otherwise.

MorallySound, m@ggot and CPT HOOK like this.
  11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

LOL, the critical pendulum continues to swing wildly in both directions. Y'all are making me move this up to the top of my list.

Colin and othervoice1 like this.
  12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have not seen this yet either but the love it/hate it reviews are making me curious too <: But I love the thoughts guys - it is the reason I come back to this forum time and time again

m@ggot, russweiss, Colin and 2 others like this.
  13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I just realized I never chimed in on this after watching it back in November, but I really dug it and it lived up to my expectations of what I wanted out of a Suspiria remake - that being something completely opposite of Argento's film but reworking the core elements of the "story". It's well worth checking out and a rewarding and deep film. Argento's film may be sensory overload but it's very easy to digest, while this is very heavy and meticulous, but just as mesmerizing and hypnotic in its own ways.

Zombie Dude and Colin like this.
  14. sinister

sinister Active Member

I'm glad some of you folks liked it even if I didn't. Rather that than everyone thought it was mediocre.

Seems it's mostly people who aren't big fans of the original who really like this new one... is there anyone who thinks the original is a masterpiece and also highly rates the re-make?

Steel76 and Colin like this.
  15. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

This is a funny one for me. As much as I love the original, there are still a number of films in Argento's Cannon I prefer more than "Suspiria" ("Tenebre," "Depp Red," "Bird with the Crystal Plumage")

As for quantifying the remake and the original, I would say they are on even playing field. I've only seen the remake once so far, but I think I will know for sure on repeat viewings just how I would stack the two against each other.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yup, I do.

sinister and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Finally saw this the other night and I have to agree with almost everything Anaestheus said in his post. This movie was an intriguing mess. I certainly wouldn't say I hated it but can't say I liked it either, although there was a lot to like here. It had so much potential and so many things going for it that should have worked yet unfortunately the whole thing never quite came together in the end. In fact, a lot of it seemed to either fall apart completely or go nowhere. I kept waiting to see how all the current events were going to tie in to the goings on at the school, but guess what? They never did! There was no point in any of that! It's one of those movies that I may revisit someday, but I'm not sure. After sitting through this the only thing I'm sure of is that I'm way overdue for seeing the original again.

18. sinister

sinister Active Member

Interesting to watch that Mark Kermode review again now that I've seen the movie. And yeah, I pretty much agree with him.

Steel76 likes this.