Here’s Why the Suspiria Remake Is a Bad Idea, According to Argento

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Aug 25, 2016.

1. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Try I Was Never Really Here.

Body Boy likes this.
  2. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Try watching I Was Never Really There for an intense drama with a horrific atmosphere.

3. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll get around to it.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoyed Terrifier and Victor Crowley, they were fun horror fare, I don't think they professed to be anything more, not everything can be a art house/heavy drama/horror, we need a balance.

5. Body Boy

I don't need a feature length FX reel. I like films without an artsy angle, but I see two camps, where there's 'trash' like "Sorority Row" and then there's crass trash like "Victor Crowley". I am overstating Terrifier's awfulness, mostly because of the high ratings I heard about before watching, but it was a bore because there was nothing to grab on to beyond the killer and the effects aside from the occasional bizarre.

6. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

The title is actually You Were Never Really Here. I keep getting it wrong!

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I agree Terrifier and Hatchet 4 were garbage but DBMP3 wasn't too bad. It felt a lot like a Troma film. I definitely got more enjoyment out of it than those others.

Body Boy and Steel76 like this.
  8. Body Boy

Of the three, I preferred DBPM3 the best, only because it had a plot and made me smile a few times. It's an annoying headache, but some effort went into it. Hipster effort, but effort just the same.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I avoided seeing mother! theatrically because I thought it was going to be one of those boring abstract movies that don't make any sense. After seeing it, I was kicking myself for not going, because I loved it. Will not make the same mistake here.

My big concern is the running time. If it sucks or is one of those movies that doesn't make any sense, you're bound there for 2.5 hours. I think I'll dig it though, the trailers look great and I loved Call Me By Your Name. Also, can we please change the title of this thread? Every time I see it, it makes me cringe a bit.

As for newer recommendations... I wasn't into You Were Never Really Here. I thought it was super boring.

Body Boy, did you see The Killing Of A Sacred Deer or The Blackcoat's Daughter? Those should hopefully tick your boxes if you enjoyed mother!. I feel like Hereditary is at least on everybody's radar, love it or hate it. The Endless was pretty creative, aside from a few missteps in the second half. Most Beautiful Island won't be for everyone, but it worked for me. Sorry To Bother You and First Reformed are two extremely creative non-horror films with some heavy genre leanings. Worth a look if you're into something different. And even though it's not a horror film whatsoever, The Rider is psychological, haunting, and not-to-be-missed. One of the year's best.

Since you're definitely a slasher fan, I might suggest Tragedy Girls and What Keeps You Alive. Both are a bit more elevated and creative than your typical slasher fluff.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Going to a screening next week Tuesday!

12. Zombie Dude

Not really feeling these posters. Not long till the movie releases though which is cool.

13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Just saw it and I am going to personally beat the sh!t out of the director if I ever see him.

It's an affront to the original and to horror.

hots4, gobad2003 and sinister like this.
  14. Zombie Dude

[​IMG]

zbinks and x666x like this.
  15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I get the feeling, you didn't like it?

x666x likes this.
  16. sinister

sinister Active Member

Haha, well my hopes are even lower now but my desire to see it for myself is higher. :)

x666x likes this.
  17. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm interested in seeing this, but I have no desire to watch it in a theater with the immense running time because this sounds like a very divisive movie and I'd hate to spend three hours (after trailers and everything) at a theater if I end up hating it. I also just started a bust-ass busy job so I'll be working a ton over the next couple months, so I don't think I'll actually have 3 hours to spare any time soon, anyway.

I do have to say I really hate that promo image with everyone standing in super awkward positions with the red fabric hanging off of them. It's just so goddamn goofy. If I saw just that image not knowing that this was a new version of a movie I like I would've just laughed and said "what in the hell?" to myself and scrolled on by it. I think this version focuses more on the dancing, as well, and I really hate watching dancing. I don't find dancing interesting to watch at all, so if there's a lot more of it that's a big negative for me.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

^Oh there's dancing. Who watches the original Suspiria and says to themselves "you know what this movies needs A LOT more of? Dancing!" This film is one huge arthouse cliché that snubs the would be audience for a Suspiria remake.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ugh. I got a good friend of mine who's gonna dig this. He recently saw Suspiria (the original, and how I hate that I now have to qualify which Suspiria I'm talking about, forever) and started going on about plot holes. Like, why would a coven who's trying to stay secret recruit a dancer from America? If this new movie makes just a little more sense, he's gonna call it an improvement. I need new friends.

x666x and gobad2003 like this.
  20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

^ Don't worry about this film making more sense. It tries to cram so many more story elements to it that it now doesn't make sense on more levels than the original.

It is like they took an arthouse film script and a post WW2 drama script and then tried to inject those into the Suspiria world hence the 2 1/2 hour run time. Even worse, the original cut was 2:50.

The only scene in the film that was good was a certain incredibly sad part.