Here’s Why the Suspiria Remake Is a Bad Idea, According to Argento

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Aug 25, 2016.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Released in 1977, Suspiria is widely considered to be the masterpiece of Italian filmmaker Dario Argento, and a remake has been on-again, off-again for several years now. As we learned back in March, Luca Guadagnino has found himself in the director’s chair for the project’s latest iteration, and all seems to be going smoothly. Last we heard, Dakota Johnson and Tilda Swinton have joined the cast.

But what does Dario Argento himself think about the Suspiria remake?

Speaking with Indiewire, Argento revealed that he hasn’t even been contacted about it.

I’ve been waiting for this project to come about for so many years,” he told the site. “The copyrights were bought about seven years ago. First, they belonged to 20th Century Fox, then they were handed over to some other companies, and so on. But what’s really absurd — really unbelievable — is that I have never, ever been asked about it. I mean, I never got a call or anything, asking me about casting, locations, whatever. I know nothing about this project except what I read in the papers. I repeat: I have ever, ever been asked about it.”

I might give some advice on the screenplay, the script, maybe the locations,” Argento added, when asked how he would like to contribute. “When I did the film, I did a lot of research with the location scout. I heard that this remake, if it’s ever made, will be shot again in Europe. So I might be able to provide useful advice about that. But, honestly, I do think it would be better if it wasn’t remade.”

The film has a specific mood,” he elaborated. “Either you do it exactly the same way — in which case, it’s not a remake, it’s a copy, which is pointless — or, you change things and make another movie. In that case, why call it Suspiria?

Guadagnino recently revealed that his Suspiria will be set in Berlin, Germany in 1977, and he’s hoping to have John Adams work on the score. In addition, he mentioned that the remake will be the most “Fassbinderian” film he’s ever made – a reference to German filmmaker Rainer Werner Fassbinder, whose work has obviously been a huge influence on Guadagnino.

Here are some other things Guadagnino recently said about the remake…

The film by Dario Argento was a very indicative moment of growing up for me because I saw it when I was 14. I think it changed me forever. I was obsessed [with Argento] through all my adolescence. [My version] is going to be set in Berlin in 1977. It’s going to be about the mother and the concept of motherhood and about the uncompromising force of motherhood. It’s going to be about finding your inner voice – the title is very evocative on these grounds.”

The movie by Dario Argento was maybe a child of its own times. It’s very delicate; almost childish. I have a very strong interest in German literature and film, so I think [my] Suspiria will have to focus very strongly on that moment in history, in 1977, when Germany was divided and a new generation was claiming and asking to recognize the debt of guilt that forged the new Germany after the war against the fathers who wanted to deny the responsibility.”

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think Argento ceased being relevant a long time ago, and considering how bad The Third Mother came out I think that it is just as well that he wasn't consulted. I'm completely unfamiliar with Guadagnino's work but his description of what he is aiming for sounds like it has merit, or at least doesn't sound stupid.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I was there too, but I really think Mother of Tears is better than it gets credit for. It needs to be given another chance. (That just requires people to watch it again. Not always the most fun of ideas. But I'm really behind that movie now. It has my full support.)

What that has to do with this topic, however... not much. I think we should let whoever this guy is get his chance to do Suspiria his own way. (My fingers are crossed. If it's at least as good as Mother of Tears, you won't hear me complain anymore.)

Mok likes this.
  4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Either you do it exactly the same way — in which case, it’s not a remake, it’s a copy, which is pointless — or, you change things and make another movie. In that case, why call it Suspiria?
    Agreed. Here in the USA, they use some stupid term like Re-imagining to justify their lame ass remake. I say leave it alone and just make something new, different and...oh, I give up...:confused:

Harry Warden likes this.
  5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Very interesting article, thanks for posting.

I liked a couple of scenes in Suspiria, but it's not one of my favorites. One of those flicks you gotta be in a certain mood to watch. It'll be a tough one to remake though.

The remake debate was old 7-8 years ago, never mind now. No sense in even having a strong opinion either way, cuz the trend isn't going anywhere. I try to take each film as it's own and judge it on it's own merits, regardless of the predecessor. Just like any other "original" film, some work, most don't.

6. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Ditto. It would be nice for people to come up with new horror films instead of "re-imaging" everything. Suspiria doesn't need remade. The film is one of Argento's very best. As for his relevancy, nobody stays on top forever. New directors will always come along. I think he is probably past his prime, but he is one of Italy's best, as is both Bava's.

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

It's really hard to say that it could be good without Argento's input because it was his idea and vision. But then if you equate remakes to cover songs it seems silly. Should we dismiss all the great covers out there because they didn't directly consult the person who wrote the original?

8. Harry Warden

No..and we shouldn't with films either. It's just wishful thinking that someone can be original instead of rehashing everything. There have been some very good remakes like Dawn of the Dead and Texas Chainsaw, but then there are some not so good remakes like Night of the Living Dead and Psycho. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so some will like remakes and some won't . IMO, Suspiria is already one damn fine horror film.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

I like this argument the best.

Though, for me, it's a case of: it's 2016 and almost everything's already been remade. So, let's just get it over with. Remake Suspiria, Phantasm, Re-Animator, The Howling, whatever's left. Then we won't have anymore new remakes to get pissed about. All there'll be left to remake will be Saw, Wrong Turn,

And Daria Nicolodi's.

Wonder what she thinks about this new remake idea... Or why nobody's asked her yet...

That Maniac remake was pretty original. For its type, I would definitely call that a valid, interesting new directorial approach.

Aside from the Craven remakes, those are the remakes I'm still angriest about. I'll agree Zach Snyder changed Dawn of the Dead, but what he changed it into is just insulting. He made it into an action movie, and so now everyone who hasn't seen the original thinks it's supposed to be an action movie too. People will get angry that it isn't fast enough or that it's too low budget. They'll ignore the substance and brand it a bad movie.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I find it a little bit hypocritical of Argento to take this viewpoint regarding remakes when he has remade Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, and the Black Cat segment of Two Evil Eyes. It just seems to me to be little more than sour grapes for not being consulted.

Steel76, x666x, Harry Warden and 3 others like this.
  11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Hmmm good point!

He does deserve respect though. If I were the new guy I would certainly find a way of kissing his ring.

12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Who cares what other people think? Does the remake take anything away from the original Dawn for you? I agree, I'm not the biggest fan of the remake either and also found it to be more of an action film than anything else. But why get angry? What's the point? As a matter of fact, more people have actually DISCOVERED Romero's masterpiece BECAUSE of the remake. You can't fault a generation for not having any clue about the predecessor which was released decades before they were born. If they "brand it a bad movie", how that effects you in any way shape of form is beyond my comprehension. I also don't understand ever being "insulted" over a movie. Life's too short, man..... movies are one of the best aspects of life, no reason to get that negative over their content. Watch it, hate it, don't ever watch it again, forget about it, move on to the next one.

13. Harry Warden

Very good point...and his Dracula remake was simply bad, bad, bad. I'd hate seeing good films remade, but you make a good argument.

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Argento has seen better years and even if someone was making an original film, he should not be consulted for anything. At this point he should just be a producer. He should just use his name to get projects that would be directed by others off the ground.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

I suppose I'm angrier at Dawn 2004 made it made other horror films follow suit. 28 Days Later did something very similar (for example, making the "zombies" fast and having the camera gun to/from them and to/from the victims/characters) and that was excellent and should have been left that way, but like Scream in the 90's it just lead to copycatting until every film was made this action-packed pile of who cares? Look at Splinter. Look at The Mist. The remake of The Crazies and Piranha. Tons of other examples and I don't feel like making this all about the examples.

But Snyder used this film to get him a Hollywood career making superhero movies. That's a good reason to be angry. Another good reason to be angry is the audience expectation based on stuff like The Mist following Dawn '04 that this is what horror should be now. But it makes me stop caring about the people in the story. This action-paced, jittery camerawork approach is like shaking a baby. The shaking might be a hell of a thrill, but you kill the freaking baby! You can't rush through the things that characters in a horror movie go through. Though you certainly can rush through the things characters in an American action movie go through. I think that's a very good reason to be angry at this movie. And Snyder. And the people who champion both. (He should have made Sucker Punch in 2004 instead of Dawn. I know he wouldn't have been handed the budget on a platter but the time to make a damn Charlie's Angels type movie would have been the time they were coming out. That should have been his Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction calling card. Not a remake of one of horror's most enduring, important films.)

As for the original, I have definitely run across people who watch the originals after a remake and go on and on about how much they suck because they aren't like the remake. So... I think again I have a good reason to be angry at the film. As for my life: it's mine. I can live it how I see fit. If the way I express myself bothers you, wouldn't it be more productive to place me on your Ignore list rather than trying to correct me in every thread I post in?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  16. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

None of that is good reason to be angry......cuz you know. We're talking about movies. But be angry then. Jimmy crack corn.

By the way......the Piranha remake kicked fucking ass! The original Piranha is OK. I saw the remake in 3D at the theaters........on mushrooms. One of the best theater going experiences of my life.

All I'm saying is the remake belly aching is old. I've added my 2 cents, but that'll be all. And I'll never ignore your posts. I get too much entertainment out of it. I'll probably eventually get tired of it, but my wise ass self can't resist at the moment, homeboy.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

This is the only way I can watch Sucker Punch:

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Man even some of his older classics haven't held up well for me. Recently tried to watch Phenomena and Tenebre the other night and it was a struggle at some points. I can see why I enjoyed them as a teen but the bad dialogue stands out like a sore thumb now. Plus his use of music in some scenes is terrible. There's a metal/rock tune that plays in Phenomena that sounds extremely out of place and even drowns out some dialogue went it cuts to two people talking as they walk through some sort of mental asylum.
    It's pretty saddening as I used to love these one's.

Suspiria is probably one of his best films though. It looks beautiful, it's tense and really creepy at times and the score is great. Argento really doesn't have much to offer these days and has been putting out a lot of turds. I think out of respect they should advertise his name with the remake but artistically I don't really know if he has a lot to offer these days.

19. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

It has always amused me when people get upset over remakes. No one is forcing you to watch it. Just continue loving the original and ignore the remake.

I still haven't seen the Martyrs remake because I just don't give a damn about it.

If the Suspiria remake looks good I'll give it a chance.

Natas, Mok and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Exactly. That Martyrs remake was wild to me...... it's pretty rare movies get remade within a decade. I believe this was 8 years after the French masterpiece came out? Crazy. Almost as pointless as the Cabin Fever shot for shot remake. But even though I find no point in those films, I won't see them anytime soon, and I'll still enjoy the fuck out of 2008 Martyrs and 2002s Cabin Fever.