"Hemisphere Box of Horrors" Blu-ray Set Coming from Severin

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zombi3, Feb 22, 2019.

1. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I LOVED the Blood Island set, but to be honest, I don't think every movie in this set will give me the same enjoyment. I feel more inclined to buy Brain of Blood as a standalone. It's Al Adamson, and he was loosey-goosey at best, but the trailer makes it look like a fun, overwrought mess, so I'll bite.

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm sold on this, might wait until closer to release date and try and buy it on Amazon or somewhere. I dropped $65 with shipping on the last set because I thought it was almost sold out but a lot of people got it for $20 cheaper on other sites.

gobad2003 likes this.
  4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I agree. Also I don't think there will be as much demand for this set.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was rather surprised at how briskly the previous set sold. My first thought is that some of those new to these exploitation movies might think twice now that they know better ;), but on the other hand others who held out but were just as surprised as we were that it sold out as quickly as it did may jump on these early and it could do just as well if not better. And with the Christopher Lee film as the exclusive extra that can spur some others.

I'm pondering what to do. If I use my Severin BF coupon I can get this set for a few cents less than I paid for the Blood Island set and that'd be great. Or I could see what Family Video has it for, they had an even better price for Blood Island. Or I could hold out for Severin's BF sale this year. This will be released a few months later than Blood Island was. It may make it to Black Friday even if it sells as well as Blood Island... Decisions decisions.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'd welcome a decent version of DR. SADISM but I don't think I'd spring for this whole set.

chancetx likes this.
  7. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

That would be the one I'm most interested in from this set but since it's relegated to the second bill of a double feature only in the boxset and doesn't have any extras aside from the trailer I'm guessing the source materials aren't as good.

Erick H. likes this.
  8. chancetx

What Black Friday coupon did you get? I placed a Black Friday order but didn't get any coupon that I know of.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I had an order with the pre-orders which was delayed and only shipped recently. In these delayed orders they put a small yellow (one might say "giallo" ;) ) slip of paper with a 20% off coupon code. Lasts until the 3/31. It was easy to miss for anyone not looking for it.

If you didn't have a pre-order and everything shipped on time for you then you didn't get one.

chancetx likes this.
  10. chancetx

Okay, thanks. I assume the delay involved some of the "All the Colors..." releases? I didn't pre-order either of those so I must not have been eligible.

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I cringe to even type this, but is everyone who pre-ordered from Amazon still waiting for their Hemisphere boxes to ship?

A smarter person would have realized the release-date delivery upgrade email I got last week was the harbinger of another impending Severin-related rectal assault.

12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I ordered from Amazon and got my set today. Of course, they shipped it in a padded envelope so the box is a bit smashed up. It's not enough for me to justify exchanging it, but it's annoying enough that I'm probably going to email them to complain about their terrible packaging.

13. russweiss

I ordered from Amazon as well and received shipping notification yesterday.

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Suicide and russweiss! My set arrived today, but I also got the dreaded "padded" envelope. That's rare in my area, so I hope it's not a sign of things to come. In this case the box was somehow intact. Luck like that will never hold if they keep putting items that size in stupid envelopes.

Fingers crossed...

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Sadly DR. SADISM and THE BLACK CAT, the two features I was most interested in, are sourced from 16mm prints.I guess nothing better is available. Reviews I have read said they looked okay but were a bit washed out with some iffy skin tones.

16. russweiss

Mine also arrived yesterday in a padded envelope. No damage so that is fine. I've ordered some hard back books from Amazon that came in cardboard boxes. On two different occasions they arrived damaged due to shipping the book with no filler inside an over sized box. The books were able to freely move around in the box. One book was bad enough that I sent it back. The second had a little damage so I just kept it. I don't understand why they couldn't put a little packing in there to keep the books from sliding around. This is a relatively recent thing which I hope gets corrected.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It sounds like the original Dr. Sadism elements still reside in Germany with the European licensor there. It would seem that Sam Sherman is not able or willing to work with them regarding these elements. So they scraped together whatever they could still holed up here in the US.

And it sounds like SWV's uncut 35mm print for The Black Cat wasn't used. Don't know what happened there as Severin and SWV have a working relationship.

18. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

The only reason I'd have purchased this set is for Dr. Sadism, so I'll pass. I'll stick with the Amazon Prime version for now, which is vastly superior to my VHS bootleg.