Hellraiser TV Series at HBO

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I have more faith in Bruckner than I do Green. Bring on the reboot!

2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I'm ok with the female Pinhead. I thought we talked about this around here in another Hellraiser topic. But the actress who plays Pinhead is a trans actress. There was an article a while back on Dark Horizons that had a quote from her saying something like why do trans actresses only get the opportunity to play trans characters. Yet other actresses can play whatever character they want. I think this was around the time of the Ghost in the Shell movie, where a role that should have gone to an Asian actress went to Scarlett Johansson.

Anyway, I'm sure I posted this before. But there were these female Pinhead statues released a while back.

hell priestess sideshow.jpg

pinhead kotobukiya.jpg

Also, I haven't read this comic yet and I don't think I really like the idea but without spoiling it a character from the movies becomes basically a female pinhead.

hellraiser comic.jpg

I haven't read the original Hellraiser book but it was already mentioned here that Pinhead (even though I don't think the Pinhead name is even used in the book) isn't given a gender. And I think the voice is described as more female.

We'll see how these new Hellraiser projects turn out. I haven't seen the last movie yet which I heard wasn't that good. But I think most agree that only the first few Hellraiser movies are good regardless of who plays Pinhead. Many of the later movies are pretty bad and didn't even start out as Hellrasier movies. But scripts turned into Hellraiser in order for the studio to keep the rights to the property.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to both of these.

I don't know if you know. I'll try to not go political. But calling someone or something woke is also being used by not the best people as a way to mock other people. I would tend to use the term "aware" to what is going on in society currently and in the past.

I don't think at all that having a female Pinhead is being woke. It might turn out to be closest to the book. Besides which, most horror movies in general tend to avoid having a female horror villain character. We had a topic about that somewhere around here.

Katatonia likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think I have all that comic series. It was a decent run but went too big I think and lost a bit of the dark horror. I should dig it out and give it another read.

The last Hellraiser film released was Judgment and it was trash. I was bored to tears and it didn't feel like Hellraiser, more Saw.

Also, hots4 is right about Hollywood being woke and forcing it down our throats. I have no issue with equality and all that jazz but they just shoehorn it into whatever they can to the point where it feels unnatural and tends to take away from stories being told.

sade and Steel76 like this.
  4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I'm going to get into all of the Hellraiser comics one day. They have a bunch of good covers.

Hellraiser comic.jpg

I haven't noticed the last Hellraiser movie on cable yet. Probably just On Demand. I assume they will put all of them on again with these new projects coming out.

And on the whole woke thing. I personally haven't seen much of it in Hollywood movies. I think a popular actor said something like Hollywood really isn't as liberal as people think. Again, if you want to be aware of things. I believe that's the way to go.

Right now, the only really bad recent horror movie that comes to mind with recent issues was that truly horrible Black Christmas remake which I reviewed I believe in one of the October Viewing topics and we talked about in the official topic.

Trying to avoid being political. But usually when people use woke. They are using it as a code word to talk about inclusion or something like a minority "taking" someones role. They want things to be modernized in look but not fully. So you get stuff like the following:

That Ghost in the Shell movie and not enough people caring about the fact that the lead should have been Asian complete with a terrible in movie explanation attempting to rationalize it. I'm glad the movie flopped but it didn't hurt Scarlett Johansson.

The Walking Dead rule of too many Black characters so one will die next. I think it was two or three, I can't remember as I stopped watching that show long ago.

The last James Bond movie. With a character that was essentially harmless yet people were claiming woke before the movie was even released. Because as far as they were concerned she shouldn't be in the movie at all. Forget about even discussing Idris Elba possibly as James Bond which would really set those people off.

I think the Star Wars sequels. People were upset about a Black Stormtrooper and lead female character. I guess it was beyond them that there were tons of female Jedi characters before those sequels.

5. sade

sade Active Member

https://boundingintocomics.com/2021...-film-is-woke-while-attempting-to-denying-it/

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's because there was talk of her taking over as Bond, not just 007. Luckly that didn't happen.

I would have no problems with Idris Elba as the new Bond, because it's a MALE.
    But do it because he is a great actor, that does a great version of Bond, and not just because he's black.

And don't change a character that has always been a male into a female.
    It would be just as wrong if they made Lara Croft, Sarah Connor etc, into a male character.

Doctor Who became a female. Which sounded interesting at first, until it became feminazi propaganda by BBC.
    "Men are evil, women are superior" kind of bullshit, instead of actually doing sci-fi adventures, without political crap.
    Well it didn't work out, and both female and male fans, hate what they did with the show.

It all just becomes so damned forced these days.
    We didn't care what race or sex a character had in movies from the 70:s and the 80:s, because it just came natural.

Sarah Connor and Ripley, didn't shove feminist propaganda down our throats in Terminator 2 and Aliens.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    hots4 and Zombie Dude like this.
  7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

You've pretty much said what I was going to put in my reply. The only thing I would add is the new Disney remake of Snow white, look what's happening to that, I think they will have to have a title change as 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' will not accurately describe anything that will be presented in the movie.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Legit. I was talking to my wife about this film recently actually. I'm like "so Snow White is apparently Latina now which makes no sense as she's Snow White. On top of that the witch is famous for asking her mirror who fairest of them all is and that sure as shit isn't Snow White if she's bloody Latina".

I love me some Latina ladies in film but it makes zero sense to force it into this story. That's the type of woke shit I hate.

Edit: I also want to add that Peter Dinklage recently threw some shade at the dwarfs in the film being such a backwoods concept partly becuase they live in caves. Does he think that with something like LOTR too? Because that's the kind of setting I see the original tale taking place in.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    hots4, Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Also the new The Witches with Anne Hathaway is another example where a small group of people with a type of hand deformation took offense to the witch characters having deformed hands as they felt it painted their condition as being monstrous. Like seriously, fuck off. The part that really gets me is then Hathaway issued an apology!

hots4, Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Considering the state of the franchise as a whole and the fact that a majority of the movies were rush-jobs that were solely made so that the Weinsteins could retain the rights in order to do nothing interesting with them, there's nowhere to go but up. Although I admit, I dug the silly teen slasher one with Henry Cavill.

I know Pinhead technically is the franchise, but honestly I find the Julia plot in the original film where she's luring men home to murder and feed to her dead boyfriend under the floorboards far more interesting than the cenobites. If they're starting from scratch, start with Julia. Her story is the substance, the cenobites are just aesthetics.

As for the prospect of them making Pinhead a female, if Doug Bradley isn't coming back, I'm not sure I care about them using the Pinhead character period (although I understand they will have to or the fans will lose their minds). Make some crazy good cenobites that are just as good or better.