Hellboy Reboot (dir. Neil Marshall)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, May 9, 2017.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Looks good.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’ll give it a shot. May even see it in a theater since Del Toro isn’t attached. I want to like him, but his work is just too CGI dependent. That shit is like crack to him. He just can’t help himself. Neil Marshall on the other hand generally delivers the goods.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Anyone check it out this weekend?

Apparently this was a bit of a Fantastic Four situation, where the film's problematic shoot and in-fighting between creatives was leaked on opening weekend: https://www.thewrap.com/hellboy-david-harbour-neil-marshall/amp/

Reviews have been poor, with a 15% on Rotten Tomatoes. It was expected to be this weekend's big theatrical release, but it was actually outperformed by the comedy Little.

Even though I have AMC A-List and can catch an IMAX showing for free, I think I'm going to sit this one out and save myself for The Curse Of La Llorona IMAX and Teen Spirit next weekend. I do like Sasha Lane though. I was never that enthusiastic about the old Hellboy movies either.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I went to this on opening day. The violence was over the top and the visuals/CGI worked for the most part. The thing that bothered me was all the stupid comic dialog from Hellboy. I knew it would be that way from the trailer but it still bugged me. This one is so effects heavy that seeing it on a big screen really is the best option. Not a great film but there are a lot worse movies to spend your time on.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The trailers were enough to tell me to stay away from this. I was surprised when I heard it was R rated (even in Australia which is rare) as it looked like it was marketed towards teens. I'll watch this when I can download it.

6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I like the director so I'm curious about the movie. But I read that they tried to take the project away from him or something to that nature.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah I'm a fan of the Director, it's a shame the film has gone through so much shit and not done very well, for him, but more importantly R rated movies, Deadpool opened the door, this may have just closed it.

8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I heard they were going to try the Spawn comic character again. I assume that will be R rated. I wish I kept those comics as they are probably worth something now with the possibility of a new movie.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I finally gave it a watch, expecting it to be terrible, but it ended up being very entertaining.
    This sure delivers on the R-rating, with some spectacular gore.
    I though David Harbour works in the role. Sure he´s no Perlman, but I liked him as the new Hellboy.
    And Milla just keeps getting hotter with age.

There was a nice mix between CGI and practical gore and creature FX.
    Baba Yaga would have been perfect as a character, Ash would fight in Evil Dead :D

Sure, it might be considered trash, but to me, it was two hour well spent.
    And I would have liked to see a sequel.
    Though I doubt that will happen now...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    fceurich39 and hots4 like this.
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'd agree, it was certainly better than expected, I wasn't bored which is a plus, a lot of recent films, I've been looking at my phone half an hour in, not with this. I like Neil Marshall It was nice to see him back in the directing chair, I hope his next project is a much better experience.

Steel76 likes this.
  11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

For those planning on getting the 4k UHD, Walmart has it in store for $20.

Steel76 likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Hellboy in general is really not my thing, but I too was pleasantly surprised by this. I didn't love it and I don't think I'd ever watch it again, but I would think the people who do love this sort of thing would be going ga-ga for it. Go figure, that isn't the case.

It's loud, bloody, easy-to-follow, and there's some sort of big action set-piece every five minutes. It kept my attention better than a lot of these big Blockbuster comic book things.

Steel76 and fceurich39 like this.
  13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Blind bought this because I heard its gory and violent. I never cared for the other 2 Hellboy films .

Buechlers_beard and hots4 like this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Man, I'm surprised anyone here liked this. I thought it was trash. Definitely felt like it was aimed towards teeny-boppers.

One scene was just a montage of demon monsters slaughtering people it super gruesome cgi. It should have been cool but just felt like it was shoved in the watchers face as justification for their rating.
    There was also a shoot out scene at the end that felt similar as well as out of place.

I did like Harbour as Hellboy but they gave him a shit script to work with.

I really disliked this one and I'm not even a massive fan of Del Torro's films.

15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t a fan. The plot did nothing that new except use less interesting characters than the previous films, the constant swearing and rock soundtrack made it seem like it was trying to appeal to teens, the actors didn’t work as well as their previous incarnations, the CGI looked rushed (the giant battle in particular was full of horrible compositing), and the makeup was surprisingly bad. I guess they put a lot of work into making that first picture of Harbour in makeup look awesome, because in action it’s pretty terrible. I loved the world Del Toro created (in Hellboy II especially) so you might like this one more if that isn’t the case for you. But as a big fan of Marshall this was a disappointment for me.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.