Heathers in Hi-Def

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by indiephantom, Jul 29, 2008.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Speaking of Heathers, the TV series that was pulled from air after the Parkland shooting will finally be airing starting October 25th. Two episodes per night over 5 consecutive nights.

2. CPT HOOK

Reminder: the TV series premieres tonight at 10PM.

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

how was it?

4. CPT HOOK

Apparently it can't catch a break, as last night's episodes were pulled in response to the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting.

I was waiting until after Halloween, as I'm in an all horror mindset. But after the holiday, I plan to watch what I can.

5. CPT HOOK

Well, I've now seen the entire series (and Paramount Network didn't make it easy for me). I even watched the Lip Sync Battle with Melanie Field and Brendan Scannell.

Controversial opinion I'm sure, but I loved it. The first episode is deceiving, as they re-do a lot of the famous lines and moments, so you're kind of watching it go through the typical remake motions. This is a ruse to lull you into familiarity, so that the show can surprise you once it wildly departs from the source material by the end of the first episode. Once it did that, I was hooked.

This definitely won't be for everyone though. I feel like Tragedy Girls would be a perfect comparison, as how you felt about that movie will probably determine how you feel about the series. In fact, this series is pretty much a cross between Heathers and Tragedy Girls.

There's definitely a lack of likable characters, but it's done for the sake of satire. The weakest aspect of the show is that JD and Veronica are poorly cast, but this definitely isn't the same JD and Veronica from the original film. The real star of the show is Melanie Field as Heather Chandler, who completely steals every scene she's in. She has a major career ahead of her! I also loved the direction they went with the Betty Finn character.

I found the satire pretty on-the-nose, and like the original movie, this series isn't afraid to go there. One of the episodes opens with one of the funniest bits of comedy I've seen in a while, where it's decided that the teachers at Westerburg are now going to carry guns. There's also a really great scene early on where a student is being disciplined, watching as the adults are all dissecting what she did and what should be done with her yet not allowed to get a word in ("we can't get to the bottom of what happened if you keep trying to speak"). Episode 2 ends with a suicide set to a Wilson Phillips song that is stylish, bloody, and kind of heartbreaking.

I had to seek out the finale on my own (in addition to the episodes they pulled the night of the Pittsburgh shooting), as Paramount network deemed it too controversial to air due to the fact that
    they went with Waters' original ending of the school blowing up and a prom in heaven.
    I doubt anyone would have said anything had they aired it, as I don't think most people even knew the show was airing, and those that did and were watching probably get the satire. Regardless, the fate of the show is unfortunate, and I'm sure season two is out of the question (which would have been a complete reboot ala American Horror Story). This season is entirely self-contained.

So yeah, I loved it. It's stylish, crazy, and wildly entertaining. Highly recommended for those with an open mind. I would 100% buy a disc release and watch it again, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also, this is Melanie Field's first major IMDB credit, but according to her Lip Sync Battle episode she's a Broadway actress/singer. She even gets a chance to sing in the series, with a vocal duel to "Heaven Is A Place On Earth". She's really amazing, and hopefully this show at least got enough attention to put her on the Hollywood radar.

othervoice1 likes this.