Hazel Court, 82, actress in Corman's Poe films, has died.

Discussion in 'General' started by Wayne Manor, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

"Scream queen Hazel Court dies, aged 82

Horror actress Hazel Court, highly popular for her appearances in Roger Corman's Poe cycle, has died at the age of 82...
    Martin Anderson

Horror film star Hazel Court passed away today aged 82, according to her acquaintance Ron Adams, who has just announced her death at his Monster Bash site.

Court was known for voluptuous roles as often-scheming temptresses in such films as Roger Corman's Masque Of The Red Death, The Raven and Premature Burial, all components in Corman's enduringly popular technicolor 'Poe cycle' of the early 1960s.

The actress was born in England in 1926 and became one of the 'Gainsborough girls' at the Gainsborough production company in the 1940s, but significant screen roles were to elude her until her induction into the horror genre, notably in the Hammer Film The Curse Of Frankenstein(1957), where she played the evil count's unwanted suitor.

Though appearing in the intervening period in the horror classic The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959), her enduring popularity as a 'scream queen' was initiated by her involvement in Roger Corman's 'Poe cycle' of films. Of these films, Court appeared in The Premature Burial (1962), The Raven (1963) and The Masque Of The Red Death (1964), in each case starring alongside Vincent Price - and giving him a hard time; Court's 'Poe' roles found her playing conspiring and treacherous women, and at her worst she was at her best...in the eyes of her many fans.

Court remained in America and married actor/director Don Taylor in 1964; they were together until his death in December of 1998. In later years, Court took an interest in painting and the arts, exhibiting in the USA and in Europe.

No details are known regarding the cause of death at this time.

Court, who made her last screen appearance in 1981 in an uncredited role in Omen threequel The Final Conflict, published her autobiography entitled Hazel Court - Horror Queen: An Autobiography in October of last year."

2. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Hazel brought a lot of presence (bouncing as well) to those classics, sad to hear she's passed. R.I.P.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

R.I.P.

she was great!

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

R.I.P! Sad news. I just watched 'The Masque of the Red Death' the other day.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Damn. She was pretty hot back in the day!

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Always enjoyed watching her movies, especially Curse of Frankenstein and Masque of the Red Death (my absolute favorite). Thought she was just perfect with Vincent Price in Masque! Rest in peace, Hazel. :(

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

A very talented actress and a lovely lady.I saw CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN in a theater about a year ago and it was great catching her work on the big screen.She will be missed.Rest In Peace.

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

9. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Sad, 82 is no age for a woman these days, well almost. Chris Lee is older. Anyway, just saw her in Ghost Ship and The Curse of Frankenstein a few days ago.

10. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Bummed. She was suppose to be at Monsterbash in June.