Haunting of Hill House series in the works from Netflix

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Apr 10, 2017.

1. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

This was much better than I expected it would be - very very creepy and atmospheric, and genuinely disturbing/unsettling in places. I watched episode 5 pretty late one night and then couldn't get to sleep, was a zombie at work the next day.

I saw an article somewhere that pointed out all the ghosts in every scene that were just kind of subtly there in the background - I never noticed most of them while watching it, but it's a nice touch.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I’m watching episode 6, and I feel like giving up. The show feels more like a soap opera, with all the drama and fighting amongst the family members. I usually don’t have problems with SOME drama, but it’s really starting to get irritating and boring now. Especially since I barely feel anything for most of the characters. They could all die, and I probably wouldn’t give a fuck. The show is creepy at times, but I expected more horror, and not having to listen to characters screaming and crying at each other, over and over again. I feel like the parts in the past are more interesting than the present. Wish they started in the past, and kept us there, until we really got to know the characters. This jumping back and forth, got confusing at first, since I didn’t know who was who, when it came to the girls as grown ups.

From what I’ve read here, the last two episodes seem to improve things, but I’m not sure I have the patience sitting through more shit, like that funeral scene, that just goes on and on...

Are episode 7 and 8 better than the 6th?

x666x likes this.
  3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

No, the show does not improve. There is great production technique here, but it is very light on actual horror. It is just a lot of personal drama. I find most shows and movies that attain that large of a fan base is based on taking a drama and giving it a horror wrapper. Now there is that Sandra Bullock Netflix movie that is popular for being the same kind of safe soccer parent horror.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Crap...
    Think I’ll just give up then.

Feels like all the ”horror” show today, are just soap operas.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

There is a pre-order on Amazon for a blu-ray release from Paramount. Currently undated, but I'd imagine they have October in mind.

[​IMG]

baggio, Myron Breck and zbinks like this.
  6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

"Extended Director's Cut" has me very interested....

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd like to know what was added for this. Like is it more ghost stuff or just more dialogue?

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Here's what they posted on Bluraydotcom....

Paramount Home Media Distribution has officially announced that it will release on Blu-ray Mike Flanagan's The Haunting of Hill House (2019). The release will be available for purchase on October 15.

Studio description: Certified Fresh with a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and nominated for six Saturn Awards, including Best Streaming Horror & Thriller Series, "THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE" has been renewed by Netflix as an anthology series, telling a new story each season.

"THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE" 3-Disc Blu-ray (and 4-Disc DVD) set features all 10 episodes from the acclaimed first season, including, for the first time, three Extended Director's Cut episodes with never-before-seen content. The Blu-ray and DVD also include exclusive commentary by creator and director Mike Flanagan on four episodes.

"THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE" is the critically acclaimed, modern reimagining of Shirley Jackson's legendary novel about five siblings who grew up in the most famous haunted house in America. Now adults, they're reunited by the suicide of their youngest sister, which forces them to finally confront the ghosts of their pasts… some of which lurk in their minds… and some of which may really be lurking in the shadows of the iconic Hill House.

Content and special features:
    • EP 101: Steven Sees a Ghost
      • Steven Sees a Ghost Extended Director's Cut
      • Steven Sees a Ghost Extended Director's Cut Commentary by Director Mike Flanagan
    • EP 102: Open Casket
    • EP 103: Touch
    • EP 104: The Twin Thing
    • EP 105: The Bent-Neck Lady
      • The Bent-Neck Lady Extended Director's Cut
      • The Bent-Neck Lady Extended Director's Cut Commentary by Director Mike Flanagan
    • EP 106: Two Storms
      • Two Storms Commentary by Director Mike Flanagan
    • EP 107: Eulogy
    • EP 108: Witness Marks
    • EP 109: Screaming Meemies
    • EP 110: Silence Lay Steadily
      • Silence Lay Steadily Extended Director's Cut
      • Silence Lay Steadily Extended Director's Cut Commentary by Director Mike Flanagan

othervoice1 likes this.