Haunters: The Art of the Scare (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Oct 6, 2017.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Katatonia likes this.
  2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I just caught this on Amazon Prime. It's interesting and well done, but some of it leaves a really bad taste in your mouth. Most of the run-time is devoted to McKamey Manor, and some of the footage is truly disturbing. It's hard to believe that an "attraction" like that could operate legally, and it seems that a few legal loopholes are all that's standing between it and extinction. The owner/operator appears to be legitimately disturbed. Humorously enough, I found the segments of his singing at weddings as sinister as the rest of his legally and morally questionable antics. I'd wager a substantial amount of money that he's headed for a red jumpsuit at some point. The dude is clearly a sadist reveling in the suffering of other people--especially PEOPLE HE KNOWS.

If the goal of documentaries is to spark debate and instigate thought, this one easily clears the bar.

Katatonia and Myron Breck like this.
  3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Yeah, I watched it afew nights ago as well and that dude is one vile person. I'd be interested in speaking with that wife of his on her own--there's something going on there. Towards the end, she seemed like she was no longer handling his obssessions very well and rarely spoke. I cannot imagine what it must be like to live under his roof/rule.

Katatonia and shape22 like this.
  4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You're 110% right. And based on the level of glee that McKamey demonstrates while he's torturing people, she's right to be concerned.

That flick really showcased some vile human beings. It's bad enough watching that camera-mugging huckster McKamey taking near-orgasmic pleasure in terrorizing whimpering people, but even worse to hear Julson's mother talk about allowing her other sons to constantly beat him senseless to "toughen him up." When she added that she also regularly "humiliated" him for the same reason, I contemplated turning it off. I generally cackle at film violence, but there's real ugliness in some of these people, and I found it unpleasant. I don't see much hope for the Julson or McKamey marriages. Both wives seemed to have one foot out the door.

The McKamey Manor footage is tough to unsee. There's something akin to snuff films in that footage because it depicts real suffering. I know that sounds hyperbolic, but I found it a lot more disturbing than anything you see in a normal horror film. For the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would sign on for McKamey Manor. Knowing they have a waiting list of 27,000 people raises some really troubling questions about human nature.

Myron Breck and Katatonia like this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed, I found the McKamey stuff quite disturbing. The documentary was great, but that part of it was disturbing on multiple levels.

I mean some people think many horror films are depraved (and some truly are), but it's all fantasy and nobody really gets hurt. With something like the McKamey Manor, I could easily see it going deadly wrong some day. It might be "fantasy" as well, but it's certainly not even remotely the same thing as just watching a horror film as a bystander.

I bought the Blu-ray (BD-R) a few years back, and it does have some decent bonus features. I can't recall if it included anything extra that featured the McKamey stuff though.

Halloween Home Haunts and The American Scream are also pretty solid documentaries in the same vein as this one. There's also one called Epic Home Haunts (and probably others) that I have yet to check out...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Myron Breck likes this.
  6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

God, I had forgotten about her. Unbelievable. The fact that she admitted to allowing and participating in her son's abuse as if it were no big deal, it left me slack-jawed (and furious).