Hannibal TV series

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I have been surprised that NBC hasn't handed this over to Netflix or Hulu. But, I have a theory that they may be playing a bit of a long game here. Knowing that the ratings have been really low, despite the critical praise and award nominations, I suspect that the show is not a big money maker. But I would also suspect that NBC is aware that this really is one of the best shows on television and will most likely start gaining an audience eventually, even if it's a cult audience after the show is cancelled. Though I do suspect that they are also banking on at least Mikkelsen getting Emmy's once they stop handing them out to Game of Thrones. With all that in mind, I suspect that they are expecting the show to start making money with disc sales. And once they can get the ratings up, they'll have more leverage when selling it to Netflix or Hulu.

2. Anaestheus

I certainly understand, but I would say that while it will probably be confusing at first, give any episode a try just to see if you are put off by the style. If you can appreciate any one episode, you'll probably really dig the show. And having watched seasons 1 & 2 multiple times, I can readily say that the show is rich enough to merit multiple viewings. And the discs are pretty cheap right now if you do feel encouraged to take the plunge.

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Gotta say even though I kind of blew my load over last night's episode, if you hadn't seen the other 2 seasons, you might feel lost. There were flashbacks that would have been very confusing to anyone that didn't immediately realize they were flashbacks. It's a flawless and exciting episode to a fan who has followed along, but to a newcomer I fear it would be a turn off.

4. Anaestheus

Yeah, that was certainly not the episode i was expecting. I mean, I loved it. But, man, way to leave things unresolved. Ya gotta respect their confidence in the show to continue to leave so much hanging in the air from the end of season 2.

I'm actually a little bummed that the opening credits and the "coming soon" tipped off that Graham and others survived. I kinda liked the feeling that at the end of the episode we still have no clue if the rest of the main cast is alive

But, oh, am I happy that Gideon is still in the show

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

We know Graham has to survive in order to be in line with Manhunter to some degree, but I have a theory on the others. I'm thinking, like Gidion, they could be flashbacks or maybe something in Graham's mind. Abigail for one was like a daughter to him, so it stands to reason that now that the antler man has been fleshed out, he could replace him with other imaginary friends. Of course, it's more likely that they are surviving characters, but man, Abigail was cut from ear to ear so I have a hard time seeing that one!

6. Anaestheus

I would expect so as well. But once they absolutely definitely did away with Chilton as a character and started putting elements of Red Dragon (it'll always be Manhunter to me) in during the second season, it did kinda set up that all bets were off as far as recreating the books. Sure, I can't imagine the show without Graham, but they are going to have to bring in Clarice at some point and that would have definitely been an interesting way to do it

7. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Well said. I never watched Hannibal until a few months back when a friend told me how good it was. I got both seasons and binged them within less than a week. The season opener was unexpected and brilliant. However, for a newcomer they would be like WTF ??? Can't wait for the next installment.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Bad news for the Hannibal fans here. NBC just cancelled the show.

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Then we riot ;)

I'm actually kind of unexpectedly ok with this. I don't want Hannibal to become Dexter or The Walking Dead. I'll miss it but you can be damn sure it will get multiple viewings.

10. Anaestheus

That is very rude.

No surprise, I guess. Despite all my pleading, the ratings were terrible. I blame all of you. Except for Mok.

I haven't heard how much of season 3 they have filmed so far. So here's hoping they still have a couple of episodes left to do and that this motivates them to pull out whatever stops are left.

At least with the knowledge that this year is Red Dragon, maybe they'll be able to wrap up as they close Will Graham's story.

And, I guess there is always the hope that another network offers to pick up the show.

Seriously bummed about this as there hasn't been a show that I was this excited to watch in years, if not decades.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Thanks man ;D
    I believe they have completed the season so we should be good!

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have read more then one article stating it could be picked up elsewhere- netflix is a possibility

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

We can only hope. I'd like to see the series wrap up on its own terms.

14. Anaestheus

I just wanted to say that I am really not certain how I feel about

Chilton's return. I really like the character and actor a lot. But, I'm beginning to think that they have pulled this trick too many times now and it's beginning to lower the "anyone can die" stakes. With Abigail and Freddy, the shock effect worked so well that I enjoyed their returns. But, with Chilton it felt like something that Arrow would have done. But, he certainly does make for a great conversational foil in this episode.

And, another couple of thoughts on the "cancellation".

1. Apparently, the show isn't actually cancelled. It's not owned or produced by NBC, but by Gaumont. NBC is only the US broadcast distributor. So, there is still a chance that the show could continue as it has been making money for Gaumont worldwide. And, the situation is actually more complicated than it is with other shows. Here's a good article breaking down the current situation and possible/likely outcomes: http://cultural-learnings.com/2015/06/23/handicapping-hannibals-future-netflix-amazon-hulu/

2. One of the big things that bummed me out about the public reception of the show is that the 1st season of "True Detective" covered a lot of similar ground but in less interesting ways. I really hoped that the public would have caught on to that and carried over.

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

"I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it." ~ Hannibal

And I agree completely about your point about Dr. Chilton also to a lesser degree, Alana. What is kind of cool is that now you have these broken people left in Hannibal's wake who all still obsess over him. They've done a great job of making Hannibal a dominating presence. Like he's evolved to a higher place (intellectually AND on the food chain too!).

And huge kudos to the Fishburnes for bearing their soul for this show. Really touching performances.

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I read an article yesterday that said its unlikely now that netflix will pick this up but possible Amazon might

17. Anaestheus

Absolutely for both points.

The speech about the view being the same was wonderfully heartbreaking

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Really satisfying ending to what has been an exceptional series. Bitter sweet in that it's over but nice that they didn't outstay their welcome and didn't fuck it up over the 3 seasons.

By the way, in regards to the ending..
    Was Bedelia waiting for Hannibal with an apologetic offering or did they imply Hannibal (at least) survived the fall and had done that to her out of pay back? If it's either/or I do appreciate things open to interpretation. I read it that she had done that to herself out of fear but my friend saw as meaning Hannibal and maybe even Will had survived and were about to join her for dinner. We both neglected to spot how many place settings there were.

19. Anaestheus

We haven't had the last episode air here yet. NBC moved the show to Saturdays because, well, who cares? But, I've got a torrent coming in now, so, I'll post final thoughts on it later.

But, I will say that I haven't been completely happy with this season. It certainly wasn't a bad season. But, it didn't quite get under my skin or floor me the way the second season did.

And, I have been flip-flopping on the way they portrayed Dolarhyde. The first episode with him was an amazing introduction. But, I really felt that they played up the creepy/threatening aspects of his interactions with Reba a bit too much in the second episode. While it was all good, it didn't quite have the heartbreak of Tom Noonan's version of the character.

The substitution of, what I guess is very intense yoga for the body building aspect was brilliant though.

And I really really loved
    the substitution of Chilton for Lounds in the chair sequence. One of the things that has really appealed to me about the show is how much effort they seem to put in to either avoiding or subverting the women-in-peril aspects of the genre. But, using poor, oft-mutilated Chilton in this episode gave to some great exchanges.

Mok likes this.
  20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

True. Red Dragon will always be Tom Noonan for me. I dig Armitage's version too, but Noonan made it his own.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015