Halloween time - stores carrying horror dvds

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Sep 24, 2013.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Last year the Best Buy near me didn't even have a horror display and the Wal-Mart had the same old stuff. Not sure I'll even try this year. I think I'm especially going to miss my trips to Zellers this year. They always had a couple of big bins full of cheap horror dvds. Too bad they're gone. :(

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, the day to dread is not the day when we become digital only, but rather the day when the only options for physical media are companies like Twilight Time. :nervous:

3. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

My brother is younger than I am and him and his friends just don't care. If it isn't available right here and right now they don't want it. I understand the appeal and I'm not putting down that mindset, but I will always stick by my physical media.

I will tell you, physical media is alive and well in Japan and I'm not just talking about Akihabara. I was there a few months ago and DVD's were everywhere. Huge stores with physical media from floor to ceiling and there was even a popular chain store where you could rent physical books and magazines (quite sensible for a nation low on available space).

I've visited 8 countries and Europe and it seems that Germany is the one to keep physical media around. Their electronic stores still have physical media in stacks while other countries have the occasional chain record store or used movie store. Outside of Germany it seems that physical media is treated the way it is here with very little interest.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

All this physical media doom and gloom is just hog wash. Physical media isn't going anywhere any time soon, and it still brings in 61% of all sales. Bluray sales have continued to increase each year since their release, with the first quarter of the year actually seeing a 28.5% increase over last year, bringing physical media actually up 2% from last year. DVDs sales have been slowly decreasing but not by huge numbers, and some of that is because Bluray sales have been on the rise, and also because of their decrease in price.

Netflix is great and all but at least here in Canada bandwidth isn't cheap, and unless you illegally use the US network, the Canadian Netflix is pretty terrible. Netflix is a great alternative to renting and taking up the Blockbuster mantle but a large percentage of people still want to actually own the movies.

As for the topic on hand, I haven't seen any Halloween displays yet, they tend to come later and later each year. That being said, you can find Shout/ Scream Blurays in several stores here, not sure what the problem is in the US!?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  5. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

Checked out the mall today, and fye have most of their horror blu-rays on sale. Saw some Scream factory titles for $14.99, I picked up Halloween 4, and 5 on blu-ray for $5 a piece. Saw some other good deals for $5 and $10 too.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, Best Buy has a lot of $7.99 horror movies this week, but I can see some of them dropping to $4.99 in the next few weeks. I know a lot of the Fox / MGM titles they currently have were $4.99 last year.

7. Cannibal Chris

Cannibal Chris New Member

What store!?

8. rijir

rijir Member

fye

9. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

There's a good sale going on amazon with blue underground blu-rays. Majority are out of stock now, but it still let me order for those prices.