Halloween Complete Collection coming to blu!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Zombie Dude, May 17, 2014.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

As a self-contained short, the first act works well in giving a grand finale for the Laurie Strode story. After that, though, Resurrection is a rough ride. I think the leading lady is pretty strong and I'd be lying if I said I didn't quote Busta Rhymes' immortal "Trick or treat, muthafucka!" line at least 5 times a year, but the rest of it on the whole...pretty tough to sit through.

2. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything in regards to the replacement disc? I sent the email as instructed but have not received anything to confirm they got it

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I haven't heard anything yet. The audio sync issue is really significant imo.

5. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

Is that website even legit mhmm? Anyone here buy from them before?

6. aka_ugly

aka_ugly New Member

I bought the TCM 40th Anniv. set last month from them and received it in less than a week. I did read a few people on blu-ray.com saying they were sent the 1-disc edition instead, but my order was correct, so no complaints from me.

Also, if anyone orders the Halloween set from couchpotato, be sure to use this coupon "CP15" for 15% off the order. It takes it down to $67.99 shipped. Not too shabby... if they send the right set that is ;)

7. rift

rift New Member

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers Producer's Cut (disc 9)

I was wanting to watch this one closer to my viewing of the theatrical cut, but events transpired and I didn't get to it until today, so I may not have been able to pick out everything different from each cut (despite having seen each of them multiple times in the past). Like most of you I have an old bootleg copy of the Producer's Cut buried somewhere in my closet, but watching this was a welcome upgrade to that one. Honestly I feel like some of the stuff in this blu ray weren't even on my old copy. I wonder if my bootleg wasn't just the added stuff/different ending cut into it versus the different little choices that permeate the film.

What's interesting about the Producer's Cut is that you can totally see the thought process of the film execs (and Bob W.) in terms of why they felt they needed to go back and re-shoot stuff. I probably agree with them on most of the problem areas, although I don't agree with what ended up being most of their fixes.

The P. Cut's opening narrative is by Loomis, and Donald really does sound like he's about to die, his inflection completely lifeless and flat. Tommy Doyle is more of our guide to the Halloween mythos throughout the movie, so it makes sense for him to do the narrative instead (although again - what is up with that accent?!)

I complained about Jaime Lloyd's tasteless death in the theatrical cut, but you can see why they would want to re-shoot it here - you don't even see her getting stabbed, and the entire scene is completely anti-climactic after all the build-up of her escape from the compound (still the best thing in the movie) and car chase in the rain. Her not dying until later in the movie also makes sense to cut out as it adds nothing (and her later death by the man in black is laughable) and they could've found a different way to shoehorn the black and white flashbacks in (blonde girl could be having visions from jaime or something).

The additional scenes with Loomis and the doctor/man in black are welcome here, and is the biggest thing I think this cut gets right. This storyline makes no sense in the theatrical cut and goes nowhere. It still doesn't really make sense here, but at least it's all there.

Once again with the ending you can see why the felt they had to reshoot it. I've always kinda liked the circle of runes, but in a so-completely-stupid-it-becomes-surreal-genius kind of way. I think there's a version where the runes could've worked, but it needed a lot more build-up in order to be the climax of the movie. Something like a hybrid of both cuts, where we get the theatrical cut's good "fleeing from michael down the halls" stuff, then the syringes and a little beating, then when Michael is hurt but still coming he traps him in the rune circle.

I also prefer the theatrical cut's scene of Michael slaughtering the people doing the ceremony - it makes Michael scarier and ties into him killing the doctors in the beginning (was that just theatrical cut too?).

The Loomis ending is awful in the theatrical and much better here, even though again it's hokey and not great - but what else are you going to do at this point? We don't know what happens to the man in black in the theatrical and it wraps up much better here because it wraps up at all.

I didn't really notice the score being all that different. There is still that really weird scene where blonde girl is trying to get away from Michael in the house and the music is playing the calm original halloween track meant to be played before any scares or action happens.

Overall Halloween 6 just isn't very good. I give the slight edge to the Producer's Cut because more of the mythology is there and at the end of the day that's all I care about with this movie.

8. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Never heard of them before, but I ordered the set last week from them and it arrived and free shipping! Also got a coupon for my next purchase, and a couch potato bottle opener/ flashlight!

9. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Damnit!!!!! I just ordered my set last week from them for $89!!!! Either way, still a good price and free shipping....will def order from them again.

10. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Good to hear...Now I want my order to arrive with that bottle opener/flashlight...hehe.

11. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

This is the Swan song for my Halloween investments, I'm tired of being milked every two years. Not even a 8000p, restoration would change my mind.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I really don't think that there's much more they could offer to make me buy this series again either. Honestly, while imperfect, it was a really nice set and I'm quite happy with it. I really hope that we get sets of similar quality for the PHANTASM, FRIDAY THE 13TH and A NIGHMARE ON ELM STREET seires someday.

13. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Looks like it's time to pounce!

14. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Go for it:)

15. Mutilated Prey

Done!

16. Mutilated Prey

Is there any difference between Halloween I in this boxset and the original standalone Blu-Ray release (not the Digibook)?

What about the Shout! Halloween III release and the one in the boxset?

17. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

H1 disc 1 is the 35th Anniversary Edition, w/ a new commentary and corrected mono track. H1 disc 2 is the previous AB BD.

H2, H3, H5, RZH1, and RZH2 are all identical to the previous releases.

18. Mutilated Prey

Thanks for the info. So the only reason to hold onto the 35th anniversary is if you want that fancy digibook eh?

I didn't realize AB was going to carry over the exact same transfer and extras that the Shout! H3 release had.

Did we ever verify if the standalone H4 AB release had the same audio sync issue the boxset does?

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It's a different disc. The Halloween 4 disc drops one of the extra features. I never owned the standalone blu-ray, but if you had it and didn't notice the sync issues, then it's definitely different. It's impossible to miss.

The only blu-rays you'll want to hang onto are Universal's Halloween II (for Terror In The Aisles), Halloween 4, and the Canadian double feature of Rob Zombie's theatrical versions. The rest you can get rid of.

20. Mutilated Prey

Right on - I never opened my Halloween 4 standalone disc.

Terror in the Aisles is definitely not going anywhere :)