Halloween 4 Limited Edition???

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Myron Breck, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Over at Amazon, they have a Limited Edition being released by Anchor Bay on October 3rd for a mere $13.99--anyone know about this? Is this the rumored Divimax version we've been hearing about? I thought they were doing 4 and 5 at the same time?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NKSR/104-4960488-9199918

Maybe they're just getting rid of all of the old tins they didn't sell in preparation for the Divimax? Anyone....?

2. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

it looks like its just the tin.

3. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I'm going to show my ignorance....what's Divimax?

(I have the tin from when it originally hit the shelves. Cost me a small fortune with shipping and customs charges! :eek: )

4. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Divimax is what ABUS calls a rerelease of a film you already own in order to entice you to get it again. Think superbit.

5. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

If you have the tin (like myself) I don't see any reason to ever buy these movies again. Divimax is lame. Just another fancy term for ripping off obsessive horror collectors that can't own enough copies of their favorite films.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Supposedly, it means that the movie has been mastered in high definition (for eventual HD-DVD/blue ray release) but then compressed to fit onto a regular DVD.

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Well, I got rid of my old AB versions of 4 and 5 when I heard about the upcoming Divimax SEs, so I was hoping this would be one of them. But the $13 price tag kind of made me suspect it was another regular edition.
    I didn't realize that Divimax was hi-def...now I don't feel so bad about buying them again.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's not. Divimax is sourced from hi-def, but regular DVD can never be true hi-def because the medium isn't capable of holding that much data. It's kind of like the audio quality lost when recording a CD onto a cassette tape.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  9. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Hm, I understand it slightly differently - though the end result is the same.

A standard DVD could store a hi-def transfer..... however, it would need a LOT of compresion, so the image would look a lot poorer. The main problem is - you need a hi-def display to get all that new juicing resolution. So along with a DVD with a highly compressed transfer, you'd still need that ncie new display. In combo - that means DVD isn't a good option.

What is does mean however is that many of the bigger studios already have at their fingertips hi-def transfers of their titles. Meaning, it's highly likely we won't have to wait so long for genre titles in the new format.

10. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

ok, what the hell is this?:

this is what the price shows when I click the above link. a sourcing fee?

11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I don't know what that means!!! It was $13.99 when I made the inital post and I have never heard of a sourcing fee during all my years of Amazon purchases.

12. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Cheers, guys. On the subject of hi-def releases, looks like Synapse has some re-releases in the pipeline in genuine high definition format.

Appears Amazon is charging a finding fee for locating these long OOP tins!

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

How nice of them to charge extra for releases that no one wants any more. :fuck: I mean, the new SEs have been announced long ago, these tins should cost LESS, not MORE.

14. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

While I agree with you, it should be noted that the Divimax discs of Halloween 4 and 5 won't be arriving anytime soon. Nor will the Halloween 1-8 Documentary DVD. These three discs are not listed anywhere on Anchor Bay's site and as we all know, most DVDs are announced and go up for pre-order 2-3 months before their release date. I think it's safe to assume they've been delayed until Fall 2006. (The same thing happened with the 2-Disc Set of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) from MPI Home Video/Dark Sky Films.) And that blows diarrhea because I was really looking forward to owning all four of those discs this year. For Chainsaw, there really is no excuse. Here it is, 2005, almost 2006 and we've still got to endure with a lousy non-anamorphic transfer of one of the most popular horror films of all time. This 2-Disc Set should have been released years ago. And it's not like they're still working on it. Everything being included was completed years ago. The 16x9 transfer was produced by Don May, Jr. in 2003 for the VOOM HD Network. The new commentary track (with David Gregory, Marilyn Burns, Paul Partain, Bob Burns, and Allen Danziger) was recorded in November 2003. The Shocking Truth documentary was produced in 2000. But they went and delayed it anyway. :rolleyes: Chainsaw should've gotten priority over Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Back to Halloween. I've got the Limited Edition Tins of 4 and 5 and I'll be keeping them regardless of how the Divimax releases turn out. The tin cases look really nice and I'd hate to get rid of them. Part 5's tin has a really cool 48? page photo booklet with rare behind the scenes photos. The 16x9 transfers look really good and to be honest, if we never receive anymore editions of Halloween 4 and 5 on DVD, I'll be satisfied in the video department. Now granted, it is possible that these Divimax transfers will make Halloween 4 and 5 look much superior so I'll definitely be buying both when and if they become available. Extras are the main reason I was looking forward to these Divimax releases. Let's be honest. The LE Tins of Halloween 4 and 5 are wonderful in the video and audio departments, which are the two most important areas, but they're pretty piss-poor in the extras department. All we get is a short 15-20 minute featurette for each film, the trailer for each film, and a photo booklet for part 5. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm hoping both films get a commentary track on the Divimax releases. Part 4, I'm hoping for Dwight H. Little, Ellie Cornell, and Danielle Harris. Part 5, Dominique Othenin-Girard, Danielle Harris, and even though her part was limited, Ellie Cornell again. Heck, it would be nice to have Beau Starr (Sheriff Ben Meeker) on both tracks too. Hopefully, if there are any existing deleted scenes they will be added to the discs. Any TV and radio spots would be great to have. I still remember seeing a TV spot for Halloween 4 back in 1988. The voice-over announcer said "Ten years ago, Halloween. Evil had a (face or shape), terror had a night, and now he's back." (Insert footage of Dr. Loomis in the Sheriff's Office saying "....I tell you Michael Myers is here, in this town!" Then cut to the title which is seen and read over a zoomed in shot of Myers' mask. Pretty much all you can see are the black eyes and some whiteness from the mask. "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers." (Insert quote of Loomis saying "He's come home to kill." playing over the video of Jamie Lloyd frantically trying to open her bedroom door, the door opening suddenly, and Myers standing there and raising the butcher knife. Jamie SCREAMS LOUDLY.) "Halloween 4. Rated R."

It creeped the hell out of me. :eek: Of course, I was only 9 back then. I think I had been watching "Freddy's Nightmares: A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Series" or possibly even "Terror in the Aisles" when that TV spot aired.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

"Divimax" is Anchor Bay's way of saying they're finally doing to their masterings what indie companies like Synapse Films have already been doing for years.

I wouldn't buy something simply for the HD remastering, because in a couple of years you'll be getting it in true HD anyways. That's also why I've stopped buying Superbits. Plus I have some issues with their color on "restoration" with both Halloween and now Evil Dead 2. I'm beginning to wonder if studios are just screwing around with these settings in order to dupe more people into thinking their new restoration is a better an worthy of a double dip. What they've done with Dr. Strangelove makes me shudder.