Halloween 4 bad opening titles!!

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Apr 15, 2012.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I didnt like H4 anyway, they should have ended it at 2, but people wanted myers back no matter what, at any cost.. Now the first 2 halloweens openings were cool with the scary music and pumpkin, now in part 4 you think they would have been a little creative with the beginning opening titles, and at least had scary music or something cool, nope, just boring countrytown image and no background music.. I also hate how you can't make a halloween movie without myers name. look at 3. didnt people see part 2. ? the myers storyline was over. trying something new. but it didnt work with the whinny public.. Plus, how much more myers did people want?? Well, they got their wish and then some from 88-98 or whenever the last one came out.

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Can't agree with the sentiment here at all. Halloween 4 has one of my favorite opening credit sequences of all time. I love how moody and atmospheric it is. It really sells the spirit of Halloween.

3. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I agree with fatty joe. The opening credits were creepy and atmospheric.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

One of my favorites as well, really captures the spirit of the Fall season.

5. frightmares

frightmares New Member

Yeah, opening credits of H4 were great, some great images there. In your defense Ronnie21, i did LOVE Halloween 3, very underrated film!

6. Doombear

Doombear Member

I remember being initially disappointed there was no flickering pumpkin with synthesized madness like H1 & H2. But now I've grown to love the atmospheric opening of Halloween 4 with its slow building creaky sounds.

Halloween 5's opening credits always scare the hell out of me with its quiet music and unpredictable loud carving knife thrusts.

Rob Zombie's Halloween movies had very underwhelming opening title sequences.

7. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Yeah, definitely disagree with the original post. I love Halloween 4 from beginning to end. After that, not so much.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Halloween 4 was the last generally creepy and scary film in the series IMO.

9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Definitely, Halloween 5 had promise but blew it with that annoying Cyndi Lauper type character and the silly theme for the two bumbling cops. What was that about? Sounded like Laurel and Hardy.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I never really thought that, even when I saw it at the movies as a kid. It's way too overlit to be creepy and most of the dialog is pretty tongue-in-cheek, verging on horror comedy territory. A lot of the scenes are patently ridiculous, such as the conversation between Loomis and the drunken preacher man, Myers opting to thrust a shotgun through a victim instead of using it properly, the schoolkids chanting "Jamie is an orphan!", and Myers supposedly hiding underneath a pickup truck as it drives away even though you can plainly tell that he wasn't on account that the movie is too damned overlit. I enjoy the movie despite it all, but in comparison to the first three films in the franchise The Return of Michael Myers is an Action film, not a horror movie.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  11. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Yeah, if this were a poll it'd be a landslide approval for the H4 opening credits. Can't say anything original here - creepy, atmospheric; everyone else has already said it all.

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, regarding the opening credits scene itself I have no complaints.

13. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I dug the opening. Seemed like an a snapshot into a town with a dark history - baron, foggy and lifeless. You see Moustapha's name, then Return of Myers with some simple shots with a slight eery overscore - I didn't need more than that to get excited for the franchise's return.

14. ronnie21

maybe i need to look into this again. maybe i missed something..

15. Mutilated Prey

:lol: Do you feel like you were just ambushed by the rest of the board? Shame on you for having an opinion ;)

16. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I've always maintained that H4 is the best Halloween sequel. And the opening credits sequence is tremendously well done. I wish the rest of the sequels featured as much fall atmosphere as that one sequence. That montage takes me right back to my childhood and all the autumn days I spent looking forward to the big night and trick or treating. Seeing it on the big screen back in '88 was a huge thrill.

I know most people strongly prefer HII. But if H4 had the advantages of Dean Cundey, Carpenter's awesome electronic score, and H2's superior-looking Myers I think it'd be much more highly regarded.

17. ronnie21

yeah its only my opinion, iam not trying to change anyones minds. just trying to see if anyone else here thought the same.. Iam actually surprised it took from 1982 to 1988 to revive the myers character, you would have thought with all the demand they would have done it a little sooner.. like maybe 85 or 86..

18. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You're good Ronnie. Differing opinions keep the site going strong. Of course, that doesn't mean a lot of us won't go into attack formation when our favorite children are criticized. Ha.

19. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

The only thing that bugs me about part 4 is probably the most important aspect of the movie and that's the mask. What the hell were they thinking with that thing? The only one worse is part 5. It really irritates me that they didn't try harder to keep even a little consistancy with the mask designs.

20. Mutilated Prey

^ Agreed - the mask in H4 looks like he's constipated.