Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I'm trying to teach her right and not let her know about the Zombie Halloween movies haha It's bad enough she loves Freddy vs Jason.

baggio likes this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I brought my daughter with me to the movies from the time she was very young. The only thing I didn't want her to see were sex scenes. She grew up loving zombies, slashers, and horror in general.

Natas likes this.
  3. russweiss

A couple of those Friday the 13th films had some gratuitous nudity. Halloween is much tamer in that regard.

Horrorphilly likes this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Why is nudity such a big no-no, but people getting mutilated is fine? :D

5. russweiss

Women are sexualized. From a very young age they are taught they should look, and dress, and act a certain way if they want to fit in. I didn't want to subject my daughter to it anymore than necessary. As for the violence I always taught her that it's just a movie and she knew the difference.

Natas likes this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Didn't want to start a new thread. Thought people here my enjoy this.

7. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

If you have a decent Myers mask, one of the funniest things you can do is go trick-or-treating. I used to go with my nephews and niece when they were young, more than 10 years ago now. One year a punk about 12 came up to me and started talking smack. I just stood there looking at him. He initially thought he was funny, but the longer I stared him down without talking, the more freaked-out he got. Eventually he got so nervous he seemed to NEED me to talk to reassure him everything was OK. Of course, I refused to do that and just stood staring at him as malevolently as possible. After about 30 seconds of him stammering apologies and trying to get me to speak, he started to walk away from me--BACKWARDS because he didn't want to turn his back. After he got about 10 feet away I took one step. He started screaming like a little girl and sprinted away. Good times!

Workshed, baggio, russweiss and 6 others like this.
  8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Lolol love that.

~Matt

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Honestly I thought it was kind of boring, and all of the really good parts were spoiled by the trailer.

Best one in 30 years but that isn’t saying much.

10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Awesome!

Halloween night now typically involves my wife handing out the candy while I jump out from around the house or behind her with a creepy mask on. Scared the bejesus out of this 10 year old last year......And as he was leaving my yard I just continued to stare at him with the Myers-dog crooked neck creepy stare deal......so much fun.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I didn't mind this new one. I wouldn't say it was boring but it did feel a bit unfocused with its plot. Myers was ruthless though. That was cool to see. Jamie Lee Curtis was great and the ending with her was fantastic. Easily the best part of the film, though I did really enjoy that little black kid as well. He was hilarious.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

He was, which I actually saw as a major problem when it came to his babysitter being killed. The audience really shouldn’t be laughing during that sequence. He totally ruined the tension. He should have just screamed and ran off like Tommy did in the original film, not do his best Gary Coleman impression with the “I’m outta here!”

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I mean I felt pretty bad for that babysitter as she seemed like a pretty cool chick. Definitely not someone I wanted to just see killed off as soon as possible like some of Rob Zombie's characters, but I do get want you mean. Still gave me an icky feeling either way.

ImmortalSlasher and wago70 like this.
  14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

$126.7 million domestic / $172.3 million worldwide

I caught a matinee viewing on Saturday. There were a lot of things I liked about the film, but the story was an absolute mess, even by diminished standards for slasher films and Halloween sequels. Given the outline, it seems like the test screening cut probably had better editing and a more sensible finale. I do think PTSD / agoraphobia may have been a more logical outcome for the Laurie Strode character than what the H20 team had come up with, but the character veered way too far into Sarah Connor / Terminator 2 territory.

15. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I've always let my daughter know that movies are make believe but nudity is a no-no because its not something I want to explain to her about her body at this age haha

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah, the babysitter was one of the more likable characters in the film. I know what you are talking about with the Rob Zombie characters in his two films. They for the most part "deserved" their demise. But for balance, Michael Meyers in the Zombie films was by far the most powerful and brutal among any other entry. It fit imo, nasty characters resulted in nasty death scenes. I remember one of the scenes in part 2, Meyers was stabbing someone in a kitchen with so much force, that after the last jab when the knife was removed , you could hear a "pop". People enjoyed the "breathing" in the 2018 entry, well that was in the Zombie films ... along with grunting in some kill screens.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree. I found this the most ludicrous scene in the whole movie.
    The first rule of horror movies is that characters who aren't afraid enough of the villain need to die--preferably in the nastiest possible manner. From the time the kid came back downstairs to say that Myers was standing outside his room, he acted in a COMPLETELY unbelievable manner that destroyed any possible tension. I had no problem with the kid being ridiculously grown-up and self-aware in his initial scene with the babysitter, but he was far too composed in all of his additional scenes. He should have been terrified. Why not just have him say, "TRICK OR TREAT MUTHAF_____!" and karate kick Myers? Then we'd know for sure that he was another painfully shoe-horned homage to one of the sequels this film supposedly disregards.

After the other kid died, I figured they were setting this kid up to be the type of victim that raises the stakes. Letting him off the way they did was a huge cop-out.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

To add to that
    Then on top of that the kid disappeared completely. After the killing when the cops/ambulance shows up. People all over the place, the kid is gone. And it was his house! Also where were the parents? I know it didn't turn out to be the case, but for a second I thought the father might have been the guy in the cowboy hat. Because he was the number one guy who was blowing off the whole Meyer's is loose story. Plus he was begging to get killed. But nothing happened to him. That's why when he pulled up to the house getting out of the car, I though maybe the story would reveal he was the kid's father, and now is taking Meyers seriously. Bottom line , the writing was really bad at times in this movie.

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Either way, this movie was less ludicrous than about 90% of the Halloween movies.

~Matt

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

How is that any different from Lindsay Wallace or Tommy Doyle in the original film?

The movie definitely has problems and goes on some unnecessary tangents, but this isn't one of them.