Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

WOW, I stayed through the credits, heard the song, and totally did not catch the reference. Derp.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Having now seen the movie TWICE, they might be playing it in the car when the father and son find the bus crash. But the song was almost over by the time I realized.

The theater was completely packed at 7PM! There wasn't an empty seat. Everyone was fairly well behaved, but still, I'm really glad I caught that matinee. It was like having my own personal viewing the first time, then getting the audience reactions the second.

Also spotted a few other little things I missed the first time around. For instance, when the female podcaster goes inside the gas station to ask where the bathroom is, you can see
    Michael killing the mechanic in the background.

Myron Breck likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

I wrote more about my theatrical experiences than the movie itself.

Anyway, loved the movie. However, I don't know if I think it's the best sequel, which I'm hearing most people say. It may be too fresh to make that statement, as we've been able to sit with the other entries for decades now. I think everyone is just on a high from seeing Michael Myers back on the big screen. It really didn't do anything that H20 didn't do, and H20 probably has more Laurie Strode than this one. That said, it's still a solid sequel.

I promised these a while ago, but here they are. I pulled them off my Facebook page so they're probably heavily compressed, as I was too lazy to dig through my external harddrive full of pictures. I have more on there too, but these probably best get the point across anyway.

I was in Charleston about two weeks after they wrapped filming, and was able to track down some of the addresses where they had been spotted filming. First up was the block where they shot the big long take, following Michael through these two houses. This is pretty close to downtown Charleston.

HALLOWEEN - ONE SHOT.jpg

The other location I visited turned out to be the babysitting house, where
    Vicky is killed.

This one is just over the bridge leaving Charleston. This street was also a bitch getting in and out of, because there are extremely busy roads on either side of the block (although it may have just been rush hour). Anyway,
    Vicky is killed
    in the far left upstairs window. Laurie sees Michael in the far right window upstairs and shoots, but it turns out to be his reflection in the mirror.

HALLOWEEN - BABYSITTER.jpg

I also had locations for the new Haddonfield High and the gas station, but Haddonfield High was a bit north of town and out of the way, and the gas station seemed like a nondescript place to take a picture of. Also, I hadn't seen the movie (it had just wrapped), so I really had no idea what role any of these places played in the movie.

I'm assuming there were scenes cut, because the picture below isn't in the actual film. They dressed the exterior of Haddonfield High, but all you see in the movie is the football field. Also missing from the trailer is a shower scene featuring the British female podcaster.

HADDONFIELD HIGH.JPG

Dobby and Workshed like this.
  4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

dave13 likes this.
  5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Saw it today as a double feature with Venom. Not here to ruffle feathers but I enjoyed Venom more as a whole. Different film obviously, but just more of a interesting story and fun imho.

Halloween was decent. It was not scary in the slightest, but not many of these slasher entries are. Couple of strange plot holes and random disappearances of characters. This always happens in these films, so they get a pass. But seriously, one was a doosy. Unacceptable. Had a couple of good kills/gore, but most were tame. One was forced to make it look more gory than initially seen. Guy on fence. The aftermath was impossible, that seemed like an editing screw up. No annoying teen characters, so that was nice. Good acting for the most part. The mask is .. meh. A lot of unmasked(hinted side/back shots) Michael Meyers, which took away any fear whatsoever. It's like, it's just a guy. The "Evil" thing was beaten into the audience with a hammer, WE GET IT, HE'S EVIL, but yet you witnessed/felt none of it, not like some of the other films anyways. The new "Loomis" replacement, one word ... ugh. The ending with Meyers was anti climatic, Seriously, they looked like they were going for a Friday the 13th ripoff(let you guess which one), then realized their mistake too late and bailed out half way through the idea. All in all I'm glad for the entry, not going to turn down a Halloween film. But you can see the new director and writers(actually blame them) were major tryhards.

Now I have to go back and watch the Zombie entries, because after today maybe they were better than I initially thought.

chancetx likes this.
  6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Shirley, you can't be serious.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Dave

Dave Pimp

Seeing it in 45 mins. Haven't read much of this thread as i want to make my own opinion. To this day I think the Zombie ones are travesties. To each their own. I just hope with the success of Halloween, studios wake up that we dont want reboots and remakes. Bring back Robert Englund please! Jason...well, I'm not picky who plays him.

dave13 likes this.
  8. CPT HOOK

For what it's worth, he's playing Freddy on The Goldbergs Halloween Special this Wednesday.

I just really hope it takes out the October record set by Venom. A slasher movie beating a Marvel movie would make me incredibly happy.

x666x and Steel76 like this.
  9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Subjective, obviously, but I thought the end, where
    Laurie is hunting for him with the shotgun and flashlight
    was actually very scary. And, like most of us, I don't usually find horror movies "scary".

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

^Yes, everyone's opinion is obviously subjective. Just that some of us don't think that this movie is as amazing as others on this board make it out to be.

I too liked the ending, particularly when it similarly appeared in another movie from the 90s.;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I completely understand some folks not liking it as much as others........ but I think regardless of what side of the fence you're on...... can we all agree seeing Michael Myers on the big screen again is fucking awesome?..... And better than any corny ass ghost story we're subjected to theatrically month after month these days.

Matt89, roderick, hots4 and 2 others like this.
  13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

THIS!!!

A big win over ghosts and paranormal bs. And I really hope it beats out Venom, not just because of my bias against the overabundance of comic book movies, but movies that are too chickensh!! to have an R rating.

I really do like this Halloween sequel. I just happen to love the first Halloween 2 for its shift over to the hospital and going full slasher. I don't care about the psychoanalysis of JLCs character in the new one. I can deal without the drama elements.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have to agree. Too many ridiculous scenes. The Darth Vader ending after the credits was completely pointless. I will agree that this was better than Venom.

15. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'll post detailed thoughts later, but I found this one merely passable. It repeats a lot of the mistakes of past sequels and is every bit as dumb as the original H2. I'd probably be more tolerant if it didn't needlessly pilfer so many story beats from H20 and feature a Michael that's more of a Terminator than a shadowy stalker. He has a few Shape-like moments late, but not enough. The plot is also unnecessarily convoluted, which makes most of the first hour seem episodic and superfluous. I still have a strong preference for the only 2 films in the series that focus tightly on small groups of likable characters--the original and 4.

I didn't hate it. It just fails to generate much Halloween feeling for me. If I was forced to rank off the cuff I'd slot it about the same as H20--after Halloween, 4, 2, 5, and 6. I know Curtis IS Halloween to a lot of people, but I find her disappointing in ALL of her sequel appearances. She hardly has anything to do in 2, and I find her an unappealing heroine in H20 and the new flick. For me, the irreplaceable element is Pleasence. I wish they'd stop tethering this series to Curtis.

chancetx and x666x like this.
  16. CPT HOOK

SPOILERS ahead, and I'm not going to use spoiler tags, so this post is only for those who have seen the movie.

Apparently when this movie was test screened, someone in the audience posted a detailed synopsis online of the entire movie. After the test screenings, they went back and shot an entirely new ending. The synopsis not only includes a description of that ending, but also includes deleted scenes. They seem to have radically rearranged quite a bit of the movie as well.

If you want to read the full detailed synopsis of this original cut, you can read that here.

If you just want the good stuff, the scenes we didn't see, here's a little breakdown for you:

First up, Laurie visits her daughter Karen at work. This seems to have been replaced with the scene where Laurie visits Allyson at school (a callback to the classroom scene from the original film):

The next day, Karen counsels children who’ve suffered trauma. They use puppets to speak. Laurie finds her daughter and they talk. It’s tense, Karen not wanting Laurie’s shit to fall on Allyson. Laurie asks if Karen believes in fate. Laurie does - Michael being moved the same night 40 years later means something. It means when he’s gone in Colorado, Laurie can focus on fixing things with her family. Karen cools and tells her about the celebratory dinner tonight.

KAREN.JPG

There's also more of the Haddonfield teenagers at school:

Dave and Vicky decide to finally sleep with each other once the kid she’s babysitting is asleep. They’re a cuter couple than you’re probably thinking.

HADDONFIELD HIGH.JPG

Also missing is a shower scare with Dana, the female podcaster. This scene is glimpsed in the trailer:

Dana showers. Through the clear shower curtain, we can faintly see a familiar white mask. She spooks, but it’s Aaron giving her a jump. He steps in the shower and they have fun.

SHOWER.JPG

On Halloween morning, Allyson sees a gruesome sight while out for a jog:

Allyson goes for her morning jog. She passes a group of neighbors looking troubled. They’re surrounding a tree on their lawn - a dog has been hung from it like a Halloween ornament.

One final scene for Cameron, Allyson's asshole boyfriend, outside the school dance. This scene reveals that he is the son of Lonnie Elamb, the grade-school bully from the original film, which is heavily implied in the current version of the movie as well:

Outside the school, Cameron apologizes to Allyson and offers to buy her a new phone. A pair of cops roll up and tell the kids to get home. Cameron refuses and the cops give him hell for his family (turns out his last name is Elam). When Cameron refuses a second time, they arrest him. Oscar offers to walk Allyson home.

And finally, the original ending before it was changed (this one is a bit more open-ended than the one in the finished movie):

Allyson finds the entrance of the compound. She screams for help. Laurie moves to get her. Karen says that this is her fate, and she should kill Michael.

Laurie finds Allyson and tells her to run. It’s not over and she needs to get away. Michael appears. Laurie fires at him but misses and then - click. She’s empty. He viciously swings his knife at her and she does everything she can to dodge it. Finally she manages to knock it out of his hands with the butt of her shotgun.

Laurie pulls a knife from her belt. She strikes but Michael catches her hands. He twists the blade and buries it in Laurie’s stomach.

Allyson screams. Laurie doubles over. Karen sees on the monitors.

Michael stands over the downed Laurie. He raises his knife to finish the job - and Karen appears behind him, wielding a crossbow. She fires and the arrow strikes right through Michael’s chest. He freezes, in pain. Michael watches as Allyson and Karen help Laurie to her feet as they run into the woods.

Michael splits the arrow and pulls it free. Allyson and Karen wave down a truck and hop in the back.

Michael stands in the woods. Not moving. Thinking. There’s an amazing shot of him in close-up silhouetted by the night.

Laurie, Karen, and Allyson ride in the back of the truck, Laurie majorly wounded...

HALLOWEEN ENDING.JPG

There's also various other little tidbits throughout the trailers that did not appear in the finished film:

CHEERLEADER.JPG

zbinks, Zombie Dude, chancetx and 2 others like this.
  17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I enjoyed this film GREATLY! I was on the edge of my seat. HALLOWEEN II (1981) will ALWAYS be the official sequel and I will always appreciate H20 but this film let me forget those. It's not a perfect film - Jamie Lee's 1998 Laurie Strode is nothing to be swept under the carpet. THAT was a wonderful performance. This one, however, wow - actually seemed consistent in a weird way with how you would think her 1978 character would REALLY become - nothing fabulous, still living in a small town, she's no stand-out in terms of people desiring her, ect. Nobody really wants her around EXCEPT one, solo young person .
    There were a few things that didn't work for me - such as the inmate "rile-up" early in the film. Another example would be a main character wanting to really know what Michael must love about killing (or something to that effect) and everything that followed...even wasting a perfect opportunity for suspense if whether or not Michael was awake or conked out (okay you've seen that done well in Scream 2).
    Oh, how I wish the film looked as identical-glossy as HALLOWEEN or 1981's sequel (or even 1982's "Season of the Witch") but you can't expect that nowadays.
    Overall, it was a terrific film. I showed up early for an 11:30 matinee in a huge auditorium after having seen the 1978 original barely 11 hours earlier in a wonderful single screen theater up the street. I think I'll try to make at least two more cinema viewings before it goes away from the cinema.

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

I enjoyed it but also found it passable. Something was missing and I just can't put my finger on it. I suppose it just can't match the atmosphere of the original. I never expected H4 or H20 to capture some of the magic of the original. With this one I was just expecting more and holding it to a higher standard. I think this is mainly because I went in with some higher expectations due to good reviews, etc. I will still enjoy H2, H4, and perhaps even H20 (haven't watched it in years).

Extremely happy Zombies movies are dead and buried. Hopeful for more sequels, too.

Loved the Happy Death Day trailer. Stupid fun movie and while a sequel isn't necessarily needed, I'll give it a shot.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Agree, that part was tense. But the film at a whole wasn't scary. There were next to none jump scares. In the almost filled theater I was in, the reaction (especially from the women) was pretty tame. Most reactions were AFTER a couple of the kills. But no screaming, etc... like you normally get with movies like this.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So like I hinted in my post, last night I watched Halloween (2007) for the second time since my original viewing 11 years ago.

My thoughts are it's better than I remembered. I realize the hate it got back then and now. It's a remake of a classic. BUT, putting that aside, it's a unique vision of the story and should be credited as trying something different imho. Zombie's Halloween was way more violent then this latest entry. The movie has a little ruff start with young Michael, all very white trashy, but then it found it's groove. Acting was good for the most part. McDowell was excellent. Taylor Mane as Meyers did a good job, he looked menacing. The rape scene in the hospital wasn't necessary. Would have taken that out. All in all it was a good attempt on the series. Watched all the deleted scenes and alternate ending too. Shocked to see there were about 3 kills that didn't make the movie. Film had a ton of violence.

After sleeping on it, my new take on the newest entry was that it wasn't awful, but it wasn't great. Like I stated clearly in my first post, I welcome all/more Halloween entries. Also, I came to the conclusion that the film as a whole is really like an insult to every director, actor, and writer that made an entry since the original. What do I mean by that? This wasn't a remake, it was part 2. It ignored every thing you saw from 1981 on. Continuity, ah the hell with it. Don't even try to continue the story of the other films. Remake?, nay we are too scared/lazy to make the attempt. So we'll just do part 2.

A 60 plus year old Michel Meyer's, ohoo .. scary. Yep, he's an old dude that orderlies handle every day with zero problems. But that never stopped the other Halloweens, or Friday the 13th, or Freddy, etc... Here's the answer, we never cared about that before. We never question Jason's age for example, we just accepted it. This film FORCED us to question it now. and I don't accept it. Nor do I accept the fact that there's a kid at home and going to bed early when 10,000 kids are outside his house trick or treating. That was absurd and poor writing just to force a situation, which was ridiculous as a whole. Not to mention almost turned the film into a comedy. And just thought of this, if this is supposed to be a continuation of the first years later, why not make the exact same mask as the first ... exactly the same in every detail. Now that would have been great, but nope.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018