Halloween 2018 reboot coming!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 10, 2017.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    We can only hope -

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm getting pretty excited to see this now. I've been hearing lots of positive things so far. Sounds like it should wash my disappointment with The Nun away.

Matt89 and Steel76 like this.
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

John Carpenter's new Halloween score for the new film.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

More like a remix of the original than a new score. But I didn't expect it to deviate much from the essence of the original.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I took my mom to the movies today. We went to see A Simple Favor and they played the Halloween trailer before it. I don't think she approved, at least based on what she saw of it between her fingers.

I might be adopted.

One month to go!

Workshed, baggio and Myron Breck like this.
  6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Tickets bought. Thursday night 945. Down right giddy.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

I have a group of friends who want to go on Friday night, but I don't really want to wait for them so I'll probably end up seeing it twice this weekend (thanks, AMC A-List!). Also, I like going to the movies alone. When I go with a big group of people, if they're not digging it, it sometimes affects how I feel about it. And I'm having none of that with Halloween! This is too important! Kind of nerdy, I know, but hey, people do this crap for Marvel and Star Wars or whatever. Consider this my Marvel movie!

Speaking of going to the movies alone, I'm planning on a double feature of Goosebumps 2 and Bad Times At The El Royale tonight. That'll eat up two of my A-List slots for the week, so I'll have to save my third for Thursday night Halloween, just in case.

Natas likes this.
  8. Dave

Dave Pimp

If you are old like me, this kind of brings back memories of H20. I was living in California at the time with my first wife. I was adamant that I was going to see it at the drive in. I thought I was going solo but she ended up coming. I'm not sure how H20 has aged. I enjoyed it when I saw it and liked the ending, though it was ruined by Resurrection. Scary to think that was 20 years ago.

Natas likes this.
  9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I have fond memories of seeing H20 in the theater. I was 14 and was denied tickets at the booth with my buddy. So we did the only logical thing I could think of. Buy tickets to Eddie Murphy's Dr. Dolittle and mosey on into H20. First time seeing Michael on the big screen.......And yes, I'm getting fucking old. LOL

10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm actually not a huge fan of the Halloween series, but I'm looking forward to this one. I bought my ticket all the way back on the 6th. This will be my first trip to the Raleigh Alamo Drafthouse theater and I'm excited to check out the Video Vortex store that's attached to the theater afterward.

When they started building this place and I learned it was going to be a free video rental store with an 8-foot tall Microwave Massacre replica VHS case, and VHS tables, I figured I'd pretty much live there, but it's just a bit too far away from my house and my car is just a bit too crappy to trust on trips longer than 10 minutes so I haven't been yet.

[​IMG]

I'm a lame-o though, no late shows for me on Thursday or Friday night, I bought a ticket for the 10:20 am show on the 19th. In my experience, annoying moviegoers are less likely to be up that early in the morning.

satans-sadists and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That place looks pretty sweet!

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I saw it tonight and really liked it. The girl I went with was a bundle of nerves throughout, but there are some things people won't like (mostly related to Myers' new doctor).

Quick review: http://splattercritic.com/2018/10/halloween-2018/ or:

"An emotionally pulverized Laurie Strode helps her estranged family outlast the lunatic who ruined her life. Does a great job catching up with the original’s heroine, as we’re invested in her plight from the start. Some advancements aren’t logical, and the pace isn’t pinpoint, but Michael Myers is in top diabolical form and there’s plenty of tension spread throughout."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Just got back and had a blast.

Is it the greatest horror move ever? Of course not. Is it the best entry to the series in several decades? You better believe it.

Other than the one plot point that NO ONE will believe, it was a rip-roaring good time and a fresh restart to a series of movies that Dimension Films has been trying to kill for years.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Told you guys. Haha. Definitely the best sequel in the entire series. I always really loved Halloween II but I'm totally fine with them ignoring it. As I get older I find that I kinda lose patience with how ridiculous that movie can be at times, even though it holds a special place for me (mostly due to nostalgia). Halloween II is...kinda dumb. And it takes itself so seriously, which I find to be the biggest downfall of the Halloween series. At least with the Friday the 13th movies that were just as equally ridiculous, they were aware of how stupid they were. For how simple the original is, the tonal shift from the first one to the second I find rather jarring. It doesn't at all feel like the same night.

I'm going to see the new one again tonight tho, been dying to see it again since the premiere at TIFF.

~Matt

fceurich39, Myron Breck and Steel76 like this.
  16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Got tickets for tomorrow night :)

Myron Breck likes this.
  17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Nice! I'm going to catch HALLOWEEN 1978 at midnight here in SF. It's supposed to be the 4k version. I'll save HALLOWEEN (what, 2???) for tomorrow's matinee...and maybe in Oakland at the amazing Grand Lake theater on Sunday matinee if it's any good. I hadn't been to that theater since I saw H20, actually.

18. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Caught it last night. Was in line getting a beer when my wife got my attention "ahhhh I think there's a fight going on"...... sure as shit, teenager knocked out unconscious right at the entrance to the Halloween theater. Great. He was being attended to though, so I minded my own business and walked into the theater. Interesting start to the night.

Anyways........ this movie kicks fucking ass. I fucking loved it.

First 10-15 mins or so I thought were pretty slow, and I wasn't in love with the climax-ending. But help my fuck was the middle incredible. That long shot of Michael on Halloween night.......breath taking. The violence was turned waaaaay up too. Very high body count. I loved the intro, just beautiful stuff.

Some annoying ignorant twats in the theater tho.....kinda ruined the beginning to be honest. But I'm gonna catch a matinee this weekend.

Also...... I don't know if it was because the film doesn't officially open until today...... but last night there were no previews......no commercials for Chevy Trucks or AT&T......no bullshit, lights dimmed, movie started. Awesome. Never had that happen before.

Workshed, Myron Breck and CPT HOOK like this.
  19. CPT HOOK

I was worried last night would be too packed and rowdy, so I caught the first showing today. Loved it! Only about ten people in the theater, none of whom made a peep, so once the lights when down I didn't even know they were there. Perfect viewing experience!

I will say the movie is a bit slow (but not boring) until Halloween night. Once Halloween night comes, kicked off by that tracking shot from the trailer, it's smooth sailing until the end.

Will say more when I get home. I'm seeing it again at 7:00 with friends. I imagine that screening will be a bit rowdier, but I'm just glad I got my good viewing in already.

Also, I nerdily stayed until the end of the credits. There's a terrible rendition of the song Laurie sings in the first movie hiding at the very end. "I wish I had you all alone..."

Also, the Happy Death Day 2U trailer looks fun!

20. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I stayed until the end of the credits as well. I liked the breathing behind the mask noises at the very end.....it was a cool little touch.