Guillermo Del Toro's Crimson Peak - 10/16/2015

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

No problems :)

The opening ghost scene was pretty creepy, and probably the only "horror" scene in the movie that actually worked.
    And the first 20 minutes or so was pretty promising, as it almost had an old-school Hammer feel to it, but then it just started to fall apart.
    Forgot to mention the cringe worthy dialogue. You could just feel the entire audience rolling their eyes at it :rolleyes:

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's really a shame as I thought this had massive potential. Goosebumps seems to be getting better reviews :confused:

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I bet Goosebumps is as scary as Kubrick's "The Shining", in comparision to this crap :D;)

MisterTwister and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I haven't seen it so I can't say but this seems to be getting positive reviews on Letterboxd. I still have hope for it.

5. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I am going to see this tomorrow, but am extremely concerned that it is going to be a huge disappointment!

6. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Wow. That trailer looks very impressive visually. The poster though seems to wholeheartedly embrace Hollywood's fetish for orange and blue artwork.

7. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

This looked beautiful in parts, but ended up being very dull for most of its running time- especially after we got to the mansion. It was definitely marketed as something it is not. I would not call this a horror movie, and more importantly I would most certainly not call it a good movie.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

OK note to self: Bring a pillow to this so you can sleep.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I've no interest in this film. It looks like there is too much style over substance. The greatest deterrent to quality Del Toro's work is his reliance on obvious CGI effects. They bring almost all of his movies down a grade or two.

10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

It was incredibly dull, despite how great it looked. There is no mystery, really, as the viewer is clued in from the get-go. It's a Gothic drama, with a tepid romance, no scares, and a dull villain.

The chase scenes throughout the house, however, are spectacular. I think del Toro needs to step away from the scripting.

11. sade

sade Active Member

I couldn't agree more. I felt the same thing watching Peter Jackson's "broken bones". All visual but no substance.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

$9.99 for the blu-ray at Best Buy this week.

I missed this one in theaters and have been meaning to check it out. I'm game for a blind buy at this price, even though the consensus here seems to be it's a snoozer.

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I was about to blind buy this, but held off due to having the BD from the library checked out right now. So I held off and watched it, figuring if I like it, I'll go buy it tomorrow...

I saved $10. Visually awesome though, but not enough to make me ever want to watch it again.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  14. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

I agree with the concensus. Looks great but has a thin plot so it drags - the movie should have been 90 minutes not 2 hours. Also the twist is so obvious that my wife guessed it even though she wasn't watching the movie! Del Toro has been disappointing lately.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I certainly won't try to convert anyone here. But, I will say that I think I may have enjoyed this more than most. Partially because my expectations had been tempered. Partially because I did expect it to not really be a traditional horror film as most of del Toro's "ghost stories" (his Spanish films) haven't really been horror films either. But, I think mainly because I popped this in after watching a whole bunch of Mario Bava films. With that in mind, this really did remind me a lot of Whip and the Body. Same strengths and flaws. Though, it definitely needed the older film's sense of perversion. We know del Toro can write since his Spanish films are so strong. But, this ended up feeling more like his Hellboy films in that he sense of fandom (in this case, definitely Hammer and Bava's gothic dramas) gets in the way of his sense of storytelling. It's a big shame that the story isn't more original as this is one seriously striking looking film with amazing design, some really good passages, solid performances, and a good lush score. I would still recommend it to Bava fans. But, I would have to resign agreement with most of the criticisms for others.

Zombie Dude likes this.