GRINDHOUSE full movie coming to dvd/blu-ray AUG 11th???

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Yes Workshed that is correct. I am the manager of a media department, own a 21" Sharp Linytron from the 80's and a 27" iMac AND I couldn't give a rat's ass about copyright infringement (Piracy is a war-like act committed at sea my man. Please don't let corporations re-define words for you, it makes you sound ignorant).

Here's a little more info about my qualifications in this regard there smart ass.
    I've owned 4 different blu-ray players and 2 HD-DVD players since the technology became available. One of the blu-ray players was a 60gb PS3 I purchased at launch so I can most certainly tell you that the PS3 is a very solid machine for playing blu-rays. With the recent price drop it's easily one of the better values out there.
    The Samsung network blu-ray player I owned was also nice but considerably slower as far as load times and firmware updates were concerned.
    I've owned everything from VHS to Betamax to Discovision to proper Laserdisc to DVD to HD-DVD to Blu-ray. I've owned nearly every video game console available since the Atari 2600 and owned computers since the Apple IIe. I've had a goddamn Pioneer Pro plasma display hanging from my wall and I've had no tv at all.
    Right now we've decided in my house to spend a lot more time doing things away from the television set so we ditched the stuff in the living room, grabbed and old reliable piece of shit tv for free from craigslist and tossed it in the bedroom for when we wanna watch a movie.
    But that's all beside the point.
    My entire point was that studios would be wise to release DVDs and Blu-rays in tandem for a while until Blu-ray is a more dominant format in the home video market.

In all likelihood I've forgotten about more movies than you've ever seen so while I find your condescension entertaining, it's probably very unwarranted :D

(I really hope this thread continues like this for a while. It's like a punching bag that tries to hit back)

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

So what is the best pre-order price anyone has seen so far on this? Best I see today is 24.99 on Amazon which isnt amazing but not bad for two movies on blu as a new release

3. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Yeah Amazon's got it cheapest. Considering MSRP is $39.99 I'd say $15 off ain't bad.

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Iron Jaiden, i get where you're coming from. but if you're ok with not getting the best a/v quality available, why does it matter so much to you that you have planet terror and death proof as a continuous film? both films are available on dvd. the fake trailers are on youtube. all the content of the film as it will be presented is currently available to you.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Maybe a preference for the shorter cuts?

I can't wait to watch the theatrical cuts again. While I know I definitely prefer the longer Death Proof, I feel that I may actually prefer the shorter Planet Terror. I'll have to just wait and see.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I still don't know how Planet Terror has a higher rating on IMDb than Death Proof. Maybe it's just me, but I thought Death Proof was WAYY better than Planet Terror. I enjoyed it way more.

~Matt

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

No, that's a pretty common sentiment. Even on this website.

I saw Grindhouse theatrically again in 2009 at a midnight screening, long after the original run and DVD releases. A small (but significant) percent got up and left after Thanksgiving. Several yelled out "Death Proof sucks!"

8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'm actually one of those who though Death Proof sucked.

Maybe it would have been easier to take if it weren't billed as a Grindhouse experience. But, an hour of meaningless chatter among characters who are really unappealing before anything exciting happens does not make for what I would consider an authentic Grindhouse experience. If this had been shown in one of the cheapo late-night theaters I used to hang out in back in the 70s and early 80s, the audience would have torn the screen down 30 minutes in.

For me, Planet Terror fit the Grindhouse moniker much better. High-octane, sleazy, stupidity moving at a breakneck pace. Although I will say it should have had some nudity. Maybe that was in the missing reel.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Disagree on every point. Respectfully, but still disagree.

First of all, ever SEEN any of the movies openly referenced in Death Proof? Vanishing Point, Gone in 60 Seconds, or Crazy Larry Dirty Mary? You get about an hour to 75 minutes of lame dialogue and bad acting, then a great car chase. Some start sooner, some start later, but they're generally all the same.

And Planet Terror was TOO breakneck for the grindhouses. It had effects and action throughout the whole movie, which you never really saw back then. Often, the budget was so low, it was usually a handful of action scenes (again, really close to the end) surrounded by mediocre plotting and acting.

Death Proof was way more true to the intent.

10. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I actually prefer the pacing of the original theatrical cuts over the extended versions. Not that I don't enjoy the extended cuts but I like theatrical a bit more.

11. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I'm gonna have to whole heartedly agree here. Death Proof really captured the essence of what a grindhouse film is supposed to be. Planet Terror was a fun "zombie" picture but certainly didn't remind me of anything you'd see in like Baltimore in the 70's.
    I'd say I've watched Death Proof at least twice as much as I've seen Planet Terror.

12. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I hated DEATH PROOF in the theater, but actually appreciated it more when I gave the extended cut a chance. I agree, a lot of those movies were that way, a whole lot of filler for just a few key scenes, so in that way DEATH PROOF got it right, and actually probably has a little more payoff than a lot of the original movies. Still don't like a lot of the extended dialogue scenes.

I still like PLANET TERROR more [and in that case, I like the shorter cut.] I agree with others that it's more like a zombie flick from the mid-80s. In the end, what matters is whether the movie is any good, not how "true" it is to era it's trying to emulate.

13. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Death Proof is the better film and the better grindhouse experience. I have yet to make it all the way through Planet Terror (hopefully I can with the BD). Planet Terror reminds me of a big budget remake or a “re-envisioning” of Nightmare City. The production value is just too great, everything just looks too modern, and there’s too much going on that the “grindhouse-feel” just becomes completely lost. And the moment Fergie makes an appearance on screen I just become totally uninterested that I either walk out of the room and end up turning the movie off, or I altogether just fall asleep.

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

One of the definitions of "piracy" is "violence at sea", while another is "the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc." Now, you were saying something about copyright infringement above, right?

Oh, NOW you've owned every awesome piece of AV equipment? Got it. Yes, me too. In fact, the entire backyard of my palatial three-story mansion is used to project a 5000" Holographic HD image, where I watch all of my films. :joshua:

But you probably wouldn't know about all these awesome movies I'm watching because you're doing other things away from the TV, right? Like complaining about the formats of movies that you don't have time to watch on a messageboard. Got it.

Next, please post how much you can bench.

And if I had to watch movies on a 21" Linytron, it'd probably be best if I forgot about them too.

(being a punching bag isn't so bad when all that's lobbed at you are limp-wristed jabs.)

:lol::lol:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

right on, thanks.

And count me in as another who loves Death Proof, while Planet Terror is a fun romp (best enjoyed in its initial run time, tho).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  16. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

:D *high five* kiddo. I like you.

17. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN HERE.

I have seen a few of the "driving" films that Death Proof references. And I'll admit to not being a fan of the sub-sub-genre (no insult meant) And maybe that is part of the reason why I was so bored with it. But, even the driving films that I do like, such as Vanishing Point, Mad Max, Death Race 2000, or even Fast Company, had action within the first 15 minutes and nearly every fifteen minutes after.

I agree that almost all of those films were heavily padded with lame dialogue, dull characters, and bad acting. But, those weren't what made those films fun. And you are right in saying that Death Proof does more accurately reflect what the majority of those films were actually like. But, the majority of those old films also weren't really all that good. So, if someone presents a film as an "ideal" grindhouse film, why make it a point to emphasize all the parts that were bad as well?

And it probably doesn't help me that I found all the ladies in the first half to be incredibly obnoxious and completely uninteresting. Whereas, with something like Vanishing Point, at least Kowalski and the DJ were interesting.

I also thought that Stuntman Mike got shaken up a bit too fast at the end. Didn't buy that at all.

The reason why I like Planet Terror more is that it is more like what I wanted those films to be like. All action, no padding, logic be damned just get to the next set piece.

I'd much rather have watched Kill Bill v1 as part of the Grindhouse experience. For me that better captures what I wanted out of those films of my youth.

18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I think Deathproof would have been better if it would have ended with Stuntman Mike pulling up to the second set of ladies in the new car. All the chic talk had worn out it's welcome by that point. It not like the film needed a happy ending.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

...and we go from completely disagreeing to (almost) completely agreeing. Yes, Planet Terror is kind of what the grindhouse films always promised but never actually delivered. But that's also why it gets a bit exhausting in the final third of the film, and why the entire Grindhouse experience works best with both films back-to-back, as the opening half of Death Proof gives you a chance to wind down a bit before the action kicks back in (and that effect of slowing you down then cranking it WAY back up is why I find Death Proof to be the overall superior film)

I do enjoy a lot of the conversation in Death Proof, but I generally like Tarantino dialogue period, as that's pretty much his trademark.

Finally, I'm totally with you on Kill Bill Volume 1. I went into that film fairly ignorant, only having seen the trailer but not read much about it nor read the script like so many had. When he opened the film with the "Our Feature Presentation" and "Shaw Scope" intros, I was like, "OH! This is gonna be like a 70s kung-fu grindhouse flick!", and it totally delivered in that vein. So much that I saw it twice that opening day.

20. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

As far as which movie in the double feature I liked best I enjoyed Death Proof more. I really liked them both which made this so much fun at the theatre and the faux trailers were excellent too- but out of the two I liked Death Proof a bit more.