GRINDHOUSE full movie coming to dvd/blu-ray AUG 11th???

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Choice is good, but there comes a time when you need to start leaving the old format behind and pushing the new. DVD has been on the market for 13 years. Just because some people didn't get a DVD player until 2003 doesn't make it any less old.

So let me be sure I understand you too. By your logic, should they still be releasing movies on VHS? I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that would still want to stick with tapes. Or what about game consoles? I mean, shouldn't they just put all titles out on Playstation 1,2, and 3? Just saying. Customer needs choices.

People can be penny pinchers all they want and more power to them, but don't complain when something comes out exclusively on a format that you don't want to spend money on.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Honestly, how cheap do you want HD to get? Seriously. You can get a NICE 1080p HD TV (nice size too, about 42") for like $800 CDN. Blu-ray players are now less than $150 (much less than we paid for our DVD player back when we first got that. It was what, $450?) There you go. For less than $1000 you're HD ready. It's very economical, with HUNDREDS of blu-rays now being less than $10 on amazon. Go check it out, many are actually $7.99.

I understand that not everyone WANTS to go HD just yet, but don't bash the format.

Oh and for the record, HD isn't always about movies looking "pristine". That's not the point of HD. Everyone who refuses to go HD always seem to have this misconception. Sure new movies look pristine because they're so new. But take a film like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Yes it looks a lot better than many of us are used to, but that's what "restoration" is. They "restored" the film to what it looked like when it was released in 1974. What everyone is used to is called "degradation" and "deterioration". The film and its colors had deteriorated over time. This was never Tobe Hooper's intention and with the blu-ray, we get a very close representation of what Hooper's film looked like when it was first released. TCM looks far from pristine, but it certainly has the look and texture of 16mm film. With the colors and clarity restored, my guess is that it looks very true to what the film looked like in its original release in '74.

And this is the case with the Grindhouse films. Death Proof and Planet Terror have the depth and texture of film, but because there are scratch and pop marks, cigarette burns, etc, it very well gives off the look of a Grindouse film. Putting it out on VHS is like taking a blur filter and applying to every frame. Then it just looks like VHS and trust me, they weren't screening VHS tapes back in the '70s when grindhouse films were popular.

~Matt

3. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Matt you always seem to be one of the smarter folks on the forum. Please go back and re-read my posts. At no point did I ever bash the format. Hell I even flat out said I'm quite sure it's amazing and beautiful and will be the next big thing in home media entertainment.
    What I have a problem with is the idea of premature forced adoption. We've only just come out of the HD-DVD / Blu-ray format war and people are expected to jump on to the next format or they can't buy a movie they'd like to own? That's crazy. DVD wasn't anything like this.
    And the thing is the players will play both formats! They're both on same-size optical discs so making both is a trivial affair. Deciding to put something out ONLY on blu-ray and not DVD at this point is a very dangerous (for the company doing it) attempt to force consumers into adopting a new format they've been very slow to get into.
    I have no doubt Grindhouse will see a DVD release before the end of the year as blu-ray only sales look downright anemic compared to multi-format sales and the studios know this. It's just an attempt at jump starting a very sluggish market before the holiday season.

So let's make this clear for anyone who's slow:

Blu-ray = amazing, but still too expensive for a lot of consumers
    DVD = good enough for most people
    Studios = desperate for new sales and willing to do any shitty thing to coerce consumers into purchasing their newest shinny.
    You dudes = fucking morons if you don't understand how this very simple system works.
    Me = out the door to take my kids to Tiny Town, the weirdest little tourist attraction in all of Colorado :D

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

One of the reasons it benefits studios to abandon DVD and force BD adoption is piracy. It doesn't take any tech know-how or expensive equipment to rent discs from Netflix and burn them to a blank disc. Ripping off BD isn't impossible but it's not cheap or easy to do. There certainly aren't many soccer moms and grandmas ripping off BDs like there are DVD.

5. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Quite untrue. Even a casual glance at any torrent site will show you that BD rips are among the most popular for big studio movies. Extracting data from a blu-ray disc is as trivial a matter as extracting data from a dvd or a cd anymore.
    I do think you're right though. Piracy is one of the reasons studios were/are fairly keen on the new format. Blu-ray, in theory, did offer them protections against piracy DVD just couldn't match. In reality these anti-piracy schemes take all of a day to get defeated by a few ambitious smart people and it's back to square one for the corporations though.
    Apple and Netflix figured it out. Offer customers an easy and affordable way to get their content the way they'd like it then just sit back and rake in the profits.
    Maybe one day the dinosaurs that run Hollywood will catch on too, probably not though. :)

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. Yes BD’s are being pirated, but not by casuals. The barrier to pirating BD’s is much higher than DVD.

7. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

We probably agree but mean different things. I gather that by "pirate" you mean actually making a physical copy of a disc and sell it on the street someplace. In which case Blu-rays are incredibly difficult to copy cheaply and piracy would indeed be thwarted by the new format.
    I'm not really thinking about that aspect of it. I'm talking about downloading movies from torrent websites and either watching them on your computer or television. In which case BD rips are more common than DVD rips to be sure.
    I actually don't think anyone in this thread disagrees much, some folks are just very passionate about their choices in media format for some reason. I can dig that :)

Edit: also just so you understand the way torrents work (in case you're unfamiliar) it isn't that a hundred thousand people all rip their copy of Avatar and share it. It's that one crew dedicated to distributing rips of movies rips one copy of Avatar and shares it with hundreds of thousands of people. The idea that "casuals" differentiate between blu-ray rips and dvd rips is naive. A blu-ray rip is simply a higher quality version of the movie but the file formats and the methods in which they're played are basically the same.
    Hope that clears that up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The technology to duplicate blu-ray discs may not be in our hands now, but give it a couple more years. There wasn't very many of us copying DVDs in the first 7 or so years the format was around, either.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I do agree that there are almost as many HDTV and blu-ray rips on torrent sites as there are regular DVD rips.

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

There's no way I can phrase this without offending anyone, so please just take my word that insult is not my intention. But...

It always surprises me the air of entitlement that comes with so many of these arguments. It's as if people seem to confuse what they want with what they deserve. Just because I want X product in Y format at Z cost does not necessarily mean that I am entitled to that. I can sympathize with the frustration. There are lots of things that I want that either don't exist or are beyond my price range. But, to claim ownership of something that was not earned by the agreed guidelines of the society you are part of is theft. I know that is viewed by many as harsh. But I really can't think of any other way to put it.

And, while I can understand that many would be annoyed by the idea of a company opting to release anything in a single format, it is not like this is some new idea. There are several musicians who have released songs exclusively through I-Tunes without any option to purchase a hard copy or even on vinyl exclusively. Likewise, there are many video games that are system exclusive. I don't hear any one demanding that there should be an XBox port of Metal Gear Solid, Little Big Planet, or Super Mario Galaxy.

The producers of goods only owe you the quality of what you pay for their existing products and nothing more. It's not different than expecting Starbucks to sell you a decent pizza or getting angry because McDonald's won't bring back the McBurrito.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

yeah, and is there a way I can get a torrent of Aveda's rosemary mint shaving lotion for men? Cause I sure got pissed when they stopped making it...

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

That made my day. :lol:

~Matt

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Just got back from vacation and wanted to get the latest on this release.

To sum up the thread:

Iron Jaiden is a manager of a media department, yet owns a "21" Sharp Linytron television from the 80's in the bedroom and a 27" iMac near the living room" and advocates piracy?

:lol: :fucked:

Otherwise, this release is really making me consider hopping over to blu-ray. I've been watching the PS3 since the price drop, and I might have to pull the trigger. Last I heard, the PS3 was a solid blu-ray player. Can any managers of media departments confirm or deny this, please?

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The PS3 is indeed a solid Blu-ray player. Confirmed.

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

In Canada, you can get an all Region DVD/ Blu Ray player at Wal Mart for under $100. Blu Rays can be found for $10 and under. Again, this in Canada, I'm pretty sure they can be found even cheaper in the States. Even if you can't afford a new TV right now, buying the player won't hurt your bank too much, and then you can experience all the exclusives, including exclusive extras until you do upgrade. Which with a 21" screen I hope is very soon. No you won't get to enjoy the better picture and sound, but at least when the time comes you will already have a stack of Blu Rays instead of a bunch of DVDs that you'll want to replace once you notice the difference. That's what I did and in the end it saved me so much. If I waited until I had a better TV to get into Blu I would have been double dipping on a bunch of movies right about now like Watchmen, Dark Knight, ect. And hell, for that matter, most Blu Rays can be found for the same price or cheaper then their DVD versions for new releases, at least on Amazon.

And really, complaining that they are making you retire your 13 year old DVD player for an under $100 Blu Ray player... I'm guessing you never got into video games, where there is a new system every 3 to 4 years that don't allow you to play your old games on them (Like the Blu Ray player which actually up converts your DVDs). DVDs have had a long run, but I don't think its greedy for studios after 13 years to force something better on you.

16. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I love my PS3. Granted, I've only had it for about 8 months, but it has gotten some pretty heavy use in that time. I still use the Xbox as my main gaming machine, but the PS3 is my main media device. I've got a pretty intricate network here and the PS3 plays with all my other devices extremely well. I'd also recommend picking the additional PS3 video remote. It's a lot easier to use than the game controller for navigating the media menus.

Still waiting for my commission check from the last time I plugged the PS3 on this forum though.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, in a very serious question for Jaiden (I swear, no snarkiness or sarcasm intended), what are your eventual Blu-Ray plans? It's safe to say that it will be the standard for HD disc viewing for at least a few years, what will it take for you to upgrade?

Trust me, I do empathize, as I really dug in my heels on going from LD to DVD (and for a long time, I still preferred LD's sound), it just got to the point where titles issued for both formats dwindled to zero.

I'm not sure if DVD (SD) will die the same death, as the benefit of low-cost DVDs is still pretty significant. I mean, who needs a $25 1080p disc to see I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry? (granted, even in 480i at 99 cents I'd still be uninterested, Jessica Biel or not). But special editions, like the one we're talking about in this thread, are simply made for the added quality of Blu-Ray. And I'm not 100% certain this will be a "double dip" that will eventually come out on DVD like someone else here said. My guess is that Weinstein will say they've already released Planet Terror and Death Proof on SD DVD, this release is for the hardcore fans rather than the casual viewer.

When you start pointing out Blu-Ray sales vs. DVD sales (as has been done in this thread), keep in mind which people are true movie and home theater buffs vs. which ones are people that just like dick and fart jokes in their movies. Then I think you will find the percentage of Blu Ray sales is just a little different.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

PS3 is an exceptional blu-ray player. I've had mine since July of 2007 and I have no complaints. I work in electronics sales too. Most people I sell TV's to do get a blu-ray player, if not automatically, then it's usually after I tell them that their DVD's can look better than they would on an SD set, but never as good as the blu-ray of Close Encounters of the Third Kind we have playing in the main aisle. :D

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Also, if you look at recent releases such as Avatar or Clash of the Titans almost 50% of sales from those titles have been on Blu Ray. Not my favourtie movies mind you, but movies that fans want to see in Hi Def. That and year over year there has been an increase in Blu Ray sales, whilst DVDs have been getting lower.

Like I said, even if you can't take advantage of the picture or audio advancements yet, just start purchasing them for the sake of not having to double dip later on, especially considering they are pretty much the same price. That and if you are into extras, just about every Blu for the past year or two has had exclusive extras. These days they aren't even really including anything on the DVD version as they are trying to push Blu Ray.

20. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Oh I've owned serveral blu-ray players in the past I just don't right now. Honestly I'm going to hold off on full adoption of Blu-ray until I'm pretty positive it'll be the dominate format for home video after DVD. There's so much discussion right now amongst the content providers about digital distribution that it almost makes sense to take a "wait and see" approach for me.
    Not to say the investment in Blu-ray is wasted. Quite the opposite. I've seen how gorgeous a film can look in the format so it's certainly worth it to a lot of people. I'm just not terribly concerned about hi definition in terms of home video at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010