GRINDHOUSE full movie coming to dvd/blu-ray AUG 11th???

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

2. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Machete Trailer.

[​IMG]

Serious Business.

3. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Thank you. I know this won’t stop people from freaking out, but at least the argument for what appears to be the most logical has a stronger case now. Certainly the people involved with the release use the Internet and are aware there is a bit of a controversy brewing. Let’s hope we’ll get an official word soon.

4. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

again from digital bits: "First up today, we've been doing some digging, and have learned from official studio sources that the Machete trailer IS on the forthcoming Grindhouse: 2-Disc Collector's Edition Blu-ray set. As was the case with the previous DVD and Blu-ray, the trailer is actually PART of Planet Terror so it's there but just not listed in the special features. We've also confirmed that the films are the theatrical versions only. Before anyone starts petitions about this, it's simply a matter of disc space. Even though both discs in the set are full BD-50s, it was decided that including both versions of the films plus all the extras would have compromised the A/V quality."

6. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

I figured that we'd be getting the theatrical versions anyway...isn't that the point?

7. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I can't speak for anyone else but I was really hoping for a Blade Runner-esque set that contained the theatrical version on disc 1, the extended versions / special features from the previously released discs on discs 2 and 3, plus a fourth disc with all new bonus material. This set is almost there though, only missing the extended cuts. So, I'll just keep my DVDs or upgrade them to Blu-ray since the current discs can usually be had on sale for ten bucks or less.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I still have my best buy Steel case editions of each movie seperately for the extended- ill be quite happy to have the full theatrical version now on blu <:

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah I have no beef with holding onto my two blu's of the extended versions as well. A whole big set would be nice, but hey, it would be a lot more expensive and I'd be paying for stuff I already own.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'm right in the middle of this, esp. since I just have the BB steelbook dvds for the extendeds and haven't upped to BD yet. In that aspect, I want everything. Now if there was an opition of a 2 disc or 4 disc with extended, but 4 costs double, I'd probably hold off and get the 2 disc and find the old BD's at the pawn shop or somewhere cheap. This just takes that decision away.

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

thanks, dave13. do you have a link so I can drop this mad knowledge all over the internets? :glasses:

edit: got it

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  13. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

[​IMG]

a look at the complete package and disc art.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Grindhouse Blu-ray will only include DVD-quality "lossy" Dolby 5.1 audio at a measly 448 kbps: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5204

That happened in the early days of Blu-ray releases, but rarely these days.

It's almost as bad as Warner re-releasing A Scanner Darkly (with the old lossy Dolby 640kbps track still intact) and now not even including all of the bonus features from the original Blu-ray.

15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I rather have "lossy" if it means the PQ keeps it´s high bitrate. A 3 hr movie with lossless is pushing it even for a BD disc.

See those double feature discs from Warner with two movies on one disc featuring lossless. The compression on the PQ is suffering badly because of it.

The grindhouse has a dirty look that would be a hell of artifacts with a lower bitrate.

16. Katatonia

I don't buy that at all. Studios often fit 2+ hour movies with lossless audio on single-layered discs.

A dual-layered Blu-ray has plenty of space to accomodate a 3 hour film with a single lossless audio track, as long as it uses an AVC or VC1 encode.

Hell, even the recent Robin Hood Blu-ray has a 156 minute film, with a DTS HD Master Audio track, two DTS tracks, and three other Dolby tracks. Not to mention all of the bonus features, and the visual quality still looks pristine.

The Godfather 1, 2 and 3 Blu-rays are further examples. 2 is even 200+ minutes.

The Kingdom of Heaven Blu-ray was even MPEG-2 and well over 3+ hours and still managed to look great.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I can't really tell the difference in HD sound anyway. Some people are canceling pre orders over this which I don't get. I already waited over 3 years for this edition. I'm not waiting another 5-10 years in hopes of better sound.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it´s like the lossless sound is more important than the movie itself.

Sure, I love lossless, but it´s not like I´m gonna fall to the ground crying like a baby about it if it´s not included.
    It´s not like it´s gonna sound like crap.

And if they REALLY wanted to be true to the grindhouse experience when they made the movie, they should have made it in MONO ;)

19. Katatonia

The point is that it's no upgrade over DVD.

I find it hard to believe that if "compression" was really the issue (unlikely), that they didn't at least pump it up to 640kbps. I don't even ever remember Warner releasing an early Blu-ray with anything less than that bit rate.

20. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

lol, yeah its all the idiots over at bluray.com that are having a shitfit over it. Love the site, like the early news. Hate the members there. Prudish jerks that get their panties in a bunch over the stupidest shit. I swear there's a huge debate over slipcovers on a daily basis there.